2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, my bad if so. Could he perchance be referring to the Bainses of the world then...? :coffee:
Yeah i think so, the Unsworths and the likes of Jeffers and others like that, tbh it's one of the few things i would agree with him on, we do seem to just collect them for fun, id rather we had coaching staff with proven working records.

I think the realism here is that we have realised that there has to be a 2 - speed plan, and I hope they are following this;
Develop young talent for 2-3 years from now
Buy existing talent for immediate success, which then feeds into the young players

I think we needed to back Carlo with the tools he needs to progress the team. As much as the buy em young and sell on model makes financial sense, Carlo needs players who are going to make us competitive now. The best young talent is going to big European clubs like Dortmund and If we want in on that we need to be offering European football and the chance to win things to attract them.

I think you're over analysing all this a tad. When Brands was brought in, it's a fairly safe assumption to say he was sold the 'dream', to work for a club with a CEO with money to commit and a 'top quality' manager who could attract and mould the right players. But instead he was saddled with Koeman, and then SIlva.

Arguably then, he didn't see the dream come true until Ancelotti arrived, and since then - and I agree fully with Dave on this - the game has changed and so has Brands role, but only to what he probably expected it to be in the first place.

To look back now and try to apportion blame or performance to Brands before then seems a little churlish - it was hardly his fault that we couldn't attract even remotely the kind of player we are now attracting. He focussed on his strengths in the up-and-coming-potential market, and I'd personally give him about a 7 out of 10 to date in that area.
I'd say you're under analysing it a tad. Brands signed up knowing full well he was going to be working with Silva. I would imagine that sort of set up suited both him and Silva in theory, an old fashioned training ground coach/tactician and a behind the scenes transfer guru. In practice it didn't work out well though. I've said before, the idea that Brands only signs players in a certain age bracket is just some weird made up thing that people got obsessed with. He signed older players at PSV and has done it before with us. People might want him to just pick up teenage wonderkids but there's no evidence at all that the club brought him in with a view to doing that. The only real difference this summer seems to be that the previous 'model' definitely involved resale value and I think 26 was the age Brands mentioned as an upper limit for that reason. Any older than that and after a couple of years will resale will definitely have taken a hit. Without actually working out though I would guess the average of players we've signed since he came in is about 25, which certainly doesn't suggest we'e been focusing on up and coming potential.

I think you're over analysing all this a tad. When Brands was brought in, it's a fairly safe assumption to say he was sold the 'dream', to work for a club with a CEO with money to commit and a 'top quality' manager who could attract and mould the right players. But instead he was saddled with Koeman, and then SIlva.

Arguably then, he didn't see the dream come true until Ancelotti arrived, and since then - and I agree fully with Dave on this - the game has changed and so has Brands role, but only to what he probably expected it to be in the first place.

To look back now and try to apportion blame or performance to Brands before then seems a little churlish - it was hardly his fault that we couldn't attract even remotely the kind of player we are now attracting. He focussed on his strengths in the up-and-coming-potential market, and I'd personally give him about a 7 out of 10 to date in that area.

I'm not sure I'm aportioning blame per se, it's more of a discussion. I think Brands is liable for some criticism and questions, but I think I've also been clear enough to say I think he's done pretty well overall. I like how calm he is an also that he negotiates well in terms of buying. There are areas of imprvement needed too, and I think it's reasonable enough to expect people to ask questions too.

Ancelotti arriving is a big moment for the whole club. He's bright enough to see too,that if Ancelotti delivers everyone says he's doing well. So he's doing all he can to help that process.

I'd say you're under analysing it a tad. Brands signed up knowing full well he was going to be working with Silva. I would imagine that sort of set up suited both him and Silva in theory, an old fashioned training ground coach/tactician and a behind the scenes transfer guru. In practice it didn't work out well though. I've said before, the idea that Brands only signs players in a certain age bracket is just some weird made up thing that people got obsessed with. He signed older players at PSV and has done it before with us. People might want him to just pick up teenage wonderkids but there's no evidence at all that the club brought him in with a view to doing that. The only real difference this summer seems to be that the previous 'model' definitely involved resale value and I think 26 was the age Brands mentioned as an upper limit for that reason. Any older than that and after a couple of years will resale will definitely have taken a hit. Without actually working out though I would guess the average of players we've signed since he came in is about 25, which certainly doesn't suggest we'e been focusing on up and coming potential.

I think there's a lot of confirmation bias, from fairly prominent supporters on social media that Brands is Ralf Rangnick. It's almosyt like they want us to do that, so assume thats what will happen. It's fine to have an opinionthat this is the way you want the club to go, but pigeon holing Brands or the clubs strategy into that makes little sense.

I think there's a lot of confirmation bias, from fairly prominent supporters on social media that Brands is Ralf Rangnick. It's almosyt like they want us to do that, so assume thats what will happen. It's fine to have an opinionthat this is the way you want the club to go, but pigeon holing Brands or the clubs strategy into that makes little sense.
Yeah that's exactly how it seems to me; people decided that they wanted Brands to sign a load of Argentinian teenagers and somehow forgot that it was just a thought in their head and not his actual job description.

Yeah that's exactly how it seems to me; people decided that they wanted Brands to sign a load of Argentinian teenagers and somehow forgot that it was just a thought in their head and not his actual job description.

I also think that our plan is cleearly one with higher expectations than RB Leipzig. Moshiri wants to be at the top, quickly. He's willing to invest heavily ro secure it. Sustainability is important but his primary objective is to make the first team better, over the next 12 months.

I think there's been a lot of group think, with each re-enforcing the next, that we are going to be hampered by FFP so have to adopt a buy young-no over 25's model.

With the manager we have I always thought we would buy some older players. It's on record in here. I sense more may come. The accounts may look terrible, but I really don't think Moshiri cares a lot, he wants the team to be up the top end.

Thats the pressure on Brands. So forgive him while he prioritises that objective.

Nice piece of over-analysis lol ;) See where you're coming from mate, but again you're making all kinds of judgements on people's perceptions. The simpler view I offered is basically that Brands's role was probably flexible and open to growth when he came in, but that it would ultimately depend on who the manager is or was. It makes sense to everyone that when you land a name like Ancelotti then he will take more of a driving role and the DoF would adapt around that.

But as has been said on here by many, both men clearly see this now as a team effort and are presumably happy with the successes we are now seeing.

I'm not sure I'm aportioning blame per se, it's more of a discussion. I think Brands is liable for some criticism and questions, but I think I've also been clear enough to say I think he's done pretty well overall. I like how calm he is an also that he negotiates well in terms of buying. There are areas of imprvement needed too, and I think it's reasonable enough to expect people to ask questions too.

Ancelotti arriving is a big moment for the whole club. He's bright enough to see too,that if Ancelotti delivers everyone says he's doing well. So he's doing all he can to help that process.

Nail on head mate, whichever way you look at it.

Must admit Brands fully redeem himself this window. Addressing the core failure on the pitch with relatively low transfer fee. Hard not to feel happy at the moment.

getting rid of deadwoodS will be a perfect window.

Status
Not open for further replies.