2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a slight difference though isn't there. Richarlison could have been a Silva suggestion (in my opinion it's pretty obvious that he was) but he still fit the criteria of a Brands signing. Brands had a template, which he was quite clear about, and Richarlison's profile was very much within it. The 2 confirmed signings so far don't fit it at all, and nor does the likely 3rd signing. It's fair to say then, that Dave is right that there has been a clear shift away from the supposed model. I'm not saying that to criticise Brands or saying that it's a bad thing, but I think it's pretty clear that it's definitely happened. There's no changing of the argument I don't think.

...yep, I think that’s right. It’ll help so much if Manager/DoF are ‘on the same page’ as they will want the same type.

...yep, I think that’s right. It’ll help so much if Manager/DoF are ‘on the same page’ as they will want the same type.

totally agree. I think if I was DoF and Silva suggested something to me, I’d be less likely to simply take his word for it and go with his gut feeling than if it was Ancelotti. also it’s easier to go with suggestions such as Allan orJames Rodriguez (still struggling to believe this one), which have undoubtedly been unlocked as a possibility because of the manager.

Absolutely.

And I'll be honest, it's not a sensible way to run a football club really, but it's his way and what we are going to have to put up with, for better or worse. In that system, having a manager like Ancelotti is critical. I sense Moshiri hoped Koeman would open the contact book in the same way, but it went disastrously.

On the mutual respect thing, I just think Brands is a bit brighter to realise the dynamics than the green Walsh. Ive seen the odd person saying be hould be going to the board and asking what happened to his plan. I mean aside from the fact the board is powerless and we know it's Moshiri who decides everything, what do people think would happen if he did? He'd just be told, if it's a choice between him and his plan, and Carlo then he loses every time. So he's smart enough to ultimately get on board with it and make the best of it.

I'm surprised he signed up to it, when he had offers from Chelsea/Arsenal, but thats another story. The cynic in me says he knows he's onto quite an easy thing here. Relative endless amount of money, a top manager in place and really very little scrutiny about what value he brings.

The hope would be, he rebuilds the academy and chnges the culture there to be very aggressive in youth recruitment, sort of how Cruyff did at Barca 20 years ago.
Completely agree with all that. On the academy thing: if he actually went in and cleared out the frat house of ex-players stealing a living then he'd get my support for just doing that. I don't see any evidence he's in charge of that part of the club though.

I saw an article the other day, saying how we are repeating the same mistakes as other summers. I don't get that at all. This years recruitment is vastly different to last summers. The 2 years under Brands we recruited some of the youngest players in the league. This is a marked shift. It didn't work, so its understandable they are oing something different.

There is a legitimate question in saying to what extend Brands is culpable for the two years previous. That doesn't mean you have to conclude he's solely, or signficantly culpable, but its a legitimate question.

It may also be Brands who's led this. He may have said- look we tried to do x and this is what we saw. We can't keep repeating the same mistakes. Some might see that as weakness, but I see that as fairly sensible governance.

The point about experience is a good one. There's an obvious cavaet that we had the 6th youngest team last year and 2nd youngest the year before. A part of that though, is that the experienced players just haven't delivered. Of the ist above (of which you can also add Bolasie, Baines etc) the only 1 who's really been consistent is Digne. Others have had their moments, but they've not been consistent. It's put a lot of pressure on our younger players, who for the most part have coped well.

Allan and particularly James are worlds apart from the lads mentioned above. We have been unlucky in some cases with some of the above, and naive in others. However getting 2-3 lads in who improve the quality of the 11 will make an immediate impact. I remmeber it with Joe Royle, Kanchelskis and Short came one summer and we kicked on a level. Speed came the summer after (with Ferguson getting fit) and bang then another level. Just 2-3 signings of quality and every player improved.
Yeah I agree with that. I said in an earlier post, I'm not criticising Brands at all, and you're right that he may be behind or at least very much on board with the change. I just don't really get why people are saying there hasn't been a change. It's really quite an obvious one I think.

I've said before, the average age thing is a bit of a red herring in some ways. Last season we could put a balanced side out of Pickford, Sidibe, Digne, Mina, Keane, Gomes, Delph, Bernard, Iwobi, Sigurdsson and Richarlison. The average age would be relatively low but only because they're all in the same age bracket. They're all full internationals and the youngest of them is 23. None of the individuals are inexperienced and neither is the collective. It makes me laugh how you get some people making out like Holgate, DCL etc are still wet behind the ear kids at 23, and question whether it's good business to sign Doucoure at 27 because he's too old. It's a small window of being the right age for some people.

Think there's a tendency in this discussion to see things in black and white rather than any shades of grey.

Clearly Ancelotti has asked for/suggested the likes of Allan and Rodriguez - does that mean the manager is solely in charge of identifying targets? I doubt it - Worth remembering that we bought Richarlison under Silva and tried to buy Doucoure too. Brands has said all along that agreeing transfer targets has to be mutually agreed. I don't see a particularly big deviation from what's going on currently to what went before under Silva, other than the fact we appear to have relaxed the age profile a bit on these three signings. There's also a tendency to blame Brands for the signings who haven't come off and give credit to the manager for the ones that have. Under Ancelotti's reign so far, we've bought two players who were clearly identified by him, we've bought two younger players who I doubt were his suggestions (in fact we know that he had never heard of Branthwaite, by his own admission) and we are about to sign Doucoure - it's pretty difficult at this point to work out whether or not he is a Brands suggestion or an Ancelotti one, but we do know that they both need to agree on it for us to sign him.

Don't stress about it - Ancelotti and Brands have said good things about working together. If they're happy, we should be happy.

Glad all this bs doesn't bother me, I'm happy to concentrate on the football not the finance or board structure, much simpler than waiting for Esks new data sheet

Yeah I agree with that. I said in an earlier post, I'm not criticising Brands at all, and you're right that he may be behind or at least very much on board with the change. I just don't really get why people are saying there hasn't been a change. It's really quite an obvious one I think.

I've said before, the average age thing is a bit of a red herring in some ways. Last season we could put a balanced side out of Pickford, Sidibe, Digne, Mina, Keane, Gomes, Delph, Bernard, Iwobi, Sigurdsson and Richarlison. The average age would be relatively low but only because they're all in the same age bracket. They're all full internationals and the youngest of them is 23. None of the individuals are inexperienced and neither is the collective. It makes me laugh how you get some people making out like Holgate, DCL etc are still wet behind the ear kids at 23, and question whether it's good business to sign Doucoure at 27 because he's too old. It's a small window of being the right age for some people.

Yes I agree. As I said I saw the article saying we are repeating the same mistakes as last summer and was quite surprised. It's fine saying last summer had mistakes. It's fine to say this summer could have mistakes, but they're not the same mistakes.

People seem to get a bit obsessed around age. I wrote something on the main site about older players, which essentially stated you can't just assume players who are 27/8 are not worth buying. It's slap bang in the middle of their prime.

I saw a video with a lad defending the position, who was frustrated we try to sign Doucoure at 27, but advocating repeating signings like Digne, who I believe was 25 when we signed him. I mean I can't see this idea thatm players fall off a cliff between 25-27.

The most important thing for us to do, is make sure the players we sign are good enough. I know it sounds obvious, but it gets over complicated and overlooked.

As a final aide, it's a fair point on those younger guys. Yes you can look at age, but you also have to look at games, Leon Osman making his debt as 23 to me isdifferent to the 2 aforementioned players who have 100+ games. I don't think you get massive improvements from them, what you can hope is they become a bit more consistent.

I think the realism here is that we have realised that there has to be a 2 - speed plan, and I hope they are following this;
Develop young talent for 2-3 years from now
Buy existing talent for immediate success, which then feeds into the young players

I saw an article the other day, saying how we are repeating the same mistakes as other summers. I don't get that at all. This years recruitment is vastly different to last summers. The 2 years under Brands we recruited some of the youngest players in the league. This is a marked shift. It didn't work, so its understandable they are oing something different.

There is a legitimate question in saying to what extend Brands is culpable for the two years previous. That doesn't mean you have to conclude he's solely, or signficantly culpable, but its a legitimate question.

It may also be Brands who's led this. He may have said- look we tried to do x and this is what we saw. We can't keep repeating the same mistakes. Some might see that as weakness, but I see that as fairly sensible governance.

The point about experience is a good one. There's an obvious cavaet that we had the 6th youngest team last year and 2nd youngest the year before. A part of that though, is that the experienced players just haven't delivered. Of the ist above (of which you can also add Bolasie, Baines etc) the only 1 who's really been consistent is Digne. Others have had their moments, but they've not been consistent. It's put a lot of pressure on our younger players, who for the most part have coped well.

Allan and particularly James are worlds apart from the lads mentioned above. We have been unlucky in some cases with some of the above, and naive in others. However getting 2-3 lads in who improve the quality of the 11 will make an immediate impact. I remmeber it with Joe Royle, Kanchelskis and Short came one summer and we kicked on a level. Speed came the summer after (with Ferguson getting fit) and bang then another level. Just 2-3 signings of quality and every player improved.

I think you're over analysing all this a tad. When Brands was brought in, it's a fairly safe assumption to say he was sold the 'dream', to work for a club with a CEO with money to commit and a 'top quality' manager who could attract and mould the right players. But instead he was saddled with Koeman, and then SIlva.

Arguably then, he didn't see the dream come true until Ancelotti arrived, and since then - and I agree fully with Dave on this - the game has changed and so has Brands role, but only to what he probably expected it to be in the first place.

To look back now and try to apportion blame or performance to Brands before then seems a little churlish - it was hardly his fault that we couldn't attract even remotely the kind of player we are now attracting. He focussed on his strengths in the up-and-coming-potential market, and I'd personally give him about a 7 out of 10 to date in that area.

Completely agree with all that. On the academy thing: if he actually went in and cleared out the frat house of ex-players stealing a living then he'd get my support for just doing that. I don't see any evidence he's in charge of that part of the club though.

His job in that respect is surely to seek sales / loans / any way of recouping wages for unwanted players to help balance the books and to support the manager in his incoming player objectives. To do that, you can't just give them away. To have got any kind of interest in the last 2 seasons in Sandro, Besic, Bolasie et al on their unrealistic wages is a plus.

This kind of business is always done at the dog end of the window. Let's see what happens at the end of this one - but you can hardly persecute him for not being able to sell our dross unless at a price that you would otherwise complain about him crippling the club and stifling the manager's plans.

His job in that respect is surely to seek sales / loans / any way of recouping wages for unwanted players to help balance the books and to support the manager in his incoming player objectives. To do that, you can't just give them away. To have got any kind of interest in the last 2 seasons in Sandro, Besic, Bolasie et al on their unrealistic wages is a plus.

This kind of business is always done at the dog end of the window. Let's see what happens at the end of this one - but you can hardly persecute him for not being able to sell our dross unless at a price that you would otherwise complain about him crippling the club and stifling the manager's plans.
I think you misunderstood what Dave is stating here mate, Dave (i think) is referring to the amount of ex players we seem to collect up and let hang around the club like a bad smell despite offering very little. It's that 'old boys club' thing

....just having a nose at the Watford fans forum and thought this was quite amusing. Steve Walsh has clearly given us a reputation;

DE2B0199-2D42-4416-8908-F082C48A42C4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.