Manager, Long Term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the "hasent managed anyone beffore" shout

Teams are scared to give young hungry just qualified coaches a go at the big time, surely they know more about the current game than some of the dinosaurs managing in the premier league. Allardyce, Pardew, Hodgson,etc etc

Alot of the young "wannabe" managers may begin to get disalusioned with the lack of opportunitys they may get and just think, may aswell just sit in a nice warm studio instead.

I understand there will be examples of it not working, but give me young, hungry & sexy (Arteta) over old, stuck in htere ways and unimaginative anytime

Teams are scared to give young hungry just qualified coaches a go at the big time, surely they know more about the current game than some of the dinosaurs managing in the premier league. Allardyce, Pardew, Hodgson,etc etc

Alot of the young "wannabe" managers may begin to get disalusioned with the lack of opportunitys they may get and just think, may aswell just sit in a nice warm studio instead.

I understand there will be examples of it not working, but give me young, hungry & sexy (Arteta) over old, stuck in htere ways and unimaginative anytime
Interesting

Totally agree, and I put it up there with another popular shout, that a new manager 'has to have won stuff'. And sorry for repeating myself, cos I know I've said this here before, but there are far more good coaches around than there are trophies they can win.

I look at the bundesliga, and 3 or the coaches that have impressed me most recently is Niko Kovac, Heiko Herrlich and Julian Nagelsmann - none of them have won a bean, and I'd gladly see either of them at my club.

For a club that should be looking at a 'project' style situation, I would say that it would be very interesting proposition to go with someone like Arteta. So long as they then are willing to give him time, and to work methodically with player recruitment. There needs to be a real structure put in place frm the top on down.

Criteria I'd use in order of importance:

Has shown they can coach the style of football we want to see at the club.
Has the ambition to work with the club over a number of years and build up the club into one that wins trophies.
Appreciates the importance to the club of bringing through youth system players - will always look to the academy as the source of a player before external recruitment.
Has shown they can successfully work within a structure the club want to see.

Short termism is killing us.

We should be deciding NOW what the style of the club's football will be. My huge worry is who makes this decision. We are stuffed with footballing dinosaurs.

Surely that's just life isn't it?

I didn't get my engineering degree then pester companies to give me a go at project management.

Me: "Excuse me sir, give me a go and if I lose you millions you can just let me go"

Boss: "close the door on your way out".

Like any trade, you work your way up. Being good at "small time" outfits says a lot for a person. It shows grit and determination, an understanding how someone acts under pressure etc.

The likes of the managers you mentioned did just that, worked their way up but unfortunately they hit the ceiling with regards to ability. You work your way up, not down. The world would be in chaos if we did it your way.

I can see Arteta getting sent to manage one of City’s franchises like Viera in NYC
Possibly him or Viera to manage City in the future

Status
Not open for further replies.