Man City vs Everton... Match Report and MotM Poll...

Everton Man of the Match

• Jordan Pickford

Votes: 20 3.5%
  • Leighton Baines

Votes: 13 2.3%
  • Phil Jagielka

Votes: 27 4.7%
  • Ashley Williams

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Michael Keane

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Mason Holgate

Votes: 24 4.2%
  • Morgan Schneiderlin

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Idrissa Gana Gueye

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • Tom Davies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Votes: 394 69.2%
  • Wayne Rooney

Votes: 52 9.1%
  • Gylfi Sigurdsson

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Davy Klaassen

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • Mo Besic

Votes: 7 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Goes to show that there's no substitute - not even a numerical advantage - for having a team filled with players who possess real quality on the ball.

Still, I think Everton did enough to suggest that they could be capable of pulling something off this season; particularly in Europe, where being able to execute a game plan away from home is a massive advantage.

Hopefully Holgate will learn from that mistake.

Re
I don't think it will do though, because enough of the older fans still go and know it's all nonsense. They'll never truly "buy in"

That's the thing with City, they're a proper club with proper fans who got given loads of money. They're not an artificial club created thanks to money, they're an actual real team and most of their real fans still go the game

I mean, their fan base openly reject the Champions League and boo the anthem

They'll never be what their owners want them to be, so they should just focus on being themselves and having pride in that

That's how I see it anyway
Remember some of their fans feeling a bit 'lost' when they woke up one morning and found themselves to be part of the billionaire boys club.

We didn't 'choke'. We simply were up against a team who are superb in every department going forward, regardless of how many men we have on the pitch.

It's not a mentality issue. We just lacked a little bit of nous at times - summed up for me by Koeman saying he wasn't happy with how many long balls we played forward.

And, as I've just said, the only thing that ended up costing us in the end was a mistake from Holgate.

We created one chance in the game that came from their mistake, tbh it was more of a half chance except Rooney finished very well. Even with ten men they could have scored countless times. The fact they put probably their hardest chance away doesn't excuse a poor performance. Contrast with Burnley putting 3 past Chelsea, or dare I say it if our red neighbours found themselves a goal and a man up they would have run 4 or 5 in. Every season teams a lot worse than us go to top grounds and win. Palace won at Anfield and the Emirates in the same fortnight last season. Swansea won at Anfield, Villa at the Emirates, there are numerous examples. Yet we have not won at any of these grounds for over a decade (and even then that's only when Spurs and City were poorer, we've not won at the other 4 with the exception of Moyes' United for close to 2 decades). We chucked it away at United last season, and now we've done the same here. We did the same under Martinez at Stamford Bridge, we did it countless times under Moyes. It is an Everton disease. When we get into the last 20 minutes of a game away at a top ground and we are winning the arse falls out of the entire team and we panic and choke so much until that equalising goal which honestly seems like a relief to these players. The players might change but Everton seemingly does not.

We created one chance in the game that came from their mistake, tbh it was more of a half chance except Rooney finished very well. Even with ten men they could have scored countless times. The fact they put probably their hardest chance away doesn't excuse a poor performance. Contrast with Burnley putting 3 past Chelsea, or dare I say it if our red neighbours found themselves a goal and a man up they would have run 4 or 5 in. Every season teams a lot worse than us go to top grounds and win. Palace won at Anfield and the Emirates in the same fortnight last season. Swansea won at Anfield, Villa at the Emirates, there are numerous examples. Yet we have not won at any of these grounds for over a decade (and even then that's only when Spurs and City were poorer, we've not won at the other 4 with the exception of Moyes' United for close to 2 decades). We chucked it away at United last season, and now we've done the same here. We did the same under Martinez at Stamford Bridge, we did it countless times under Moyes. It is an Everton disease. When we get into the last 20 minutes of a game away at a top ground and we are winning the arse falls out of the entire team and we panic and choke so much until that equalising goal which honestly seems like a relief to these players. The players might change but Everton seemingly does not.

We forced that mistake just like they forced ours. They created two decent goalscoring chances, that was it.

It was a good performance. We can be disappointed not to have got more but then there's moaning for moaning's sake.

A mix of (a lack of) nous, pace and the fact that City are a bloody good side cost us two points last night. But we cost City two points with a good display.

On to the next one.

We didn't 'choke'. We simply were up against a team who are superb in every department going forward, regardless of how many men we have on the pitch.

It's not a mentality issue. We just lacked a little bit of nous at times - summed up for me by Koeman saying he wasn't happy with how many long balls we played forward.

And, as I've just said, the only thing that ended up costing us in the end was a mistake from Holgate.
City will win the league this season imo. Not many teams will take anything home from there.

And as I said yesterday, very rarely we dont face a full strength City.. We had 4/5 key players missing who would have improved our counter attacking game last night.

On reflection it was an excellent point hard won.

DCL played well, but Pickford kept us in the game about 3 times you FIFA blerts.

Cheers Andy ,Calvert lewin outstanding,but Pickford for me again,hes truly showing his worth,couple of great stops in particular the second half save,the difference between a point or leaving empty-handed.

Did you go to the game mate? Away to City I thought we put in a really good performance. We had them at arms length for the majority of the game and when the chance presented itself we took it. It was almost the perfect away performance. Defensively we look really solid bar that one Holgate mistake. Make no mistake City will smash a few teams at home this season.

DCL was absolutely superb last night, as was Jagielka and Rooney. Only blip was Koeman's brain fart bringing on both Klaasen and Sigurdsson and taking off Davies and especially Williams.

I don't think it will do though, because enough of the older fans still go and know it's all nonsense. They'll never truly "buy in"

That's the thing with City, they're a proper club with proper fans who got given loads of money. They're not an artificial club created thanks to money, they're an actual real team and most of their real fans still go the game

I mean, their fan base openly reject the Champions League and boo the anthem

They'll never be what their owners want them to be, so they should just focus on being themselves and having pride in that

That's how I see it anyway
City fan in peace. Cheers for the comments. Makes a change from the "no history" bollocks peddled by the we think we are entitled red people. The fireworks and razzamatazz might be a bit embarrassing to us older fans at times but it was the first home game of the season. Cracking game too, even though, as usual, we couldn't beat you lot and despite the efforts of the referee to spoil it. No player should have been anywhere near sent off last night.

City fan in peace. Cheers for the comments. Makes a change from the "no history" bollocks peddled by the we think we are entitled red people. The fireworks and razzamatazz might be a bit embarrassing to us older fans at times but it was the first home game of the season. Cracking game too, even though, as usual, we couldn't beat you lot and despite the efforts of the referee to spoil it. No player should have been anywhere near sent off last night.

No worries mate, I've never signed up to the idea that City fans are all plastics who just follow them because of the money

You might possibly be able to make that claim with Chelsea, but most City fans are proper fans. Living in the North West I've come across a lot of them in my time and most of them are genuine. Got a mate who was at that Play Off Final in 1999 and also there for the Aguero goal in 2012. I can only imagine what that goal felt like after all the years of misery that preceded it. Most of us on here can only dream of a moment like that, maybe one day we'll see Everton lift the League title though, who knows?

I do think the people calling the shots at your club try too hard to be "big-time" sometimes though, and come across as a bit insecure in the process

Last edited:
Still a solid point.

Scandalous that we can't appeal Schneids red. Could not have put in a better tackle.

DCL did well last night, but not convinced at all on him. Works hard and puts himself about, but his technical ability isn't great.

Status
Not open for further replies.