Match Thread Liverpool v Everton - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Biggest Waste of Space Poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I'm not surprised... I still don't understand that second half? We should have been 2 or 3 up, looked dangerous everytime we went forward. What the hell happened? Were completely dominated the 2nd half. I'm not surprised but I'm still in a state of shock over how bad it was.
Isnt it obvoius? half time Klopp said your gonna lose to this lot and will never live it down

Everton's midfield.

ENetTlbVUAAPL5Q

Yes. It's not just identity either, but practicality. That midfield 2 are not good enough to receive the ball and pass it forward. Both were shown up by Chirevella a lad who's about to turn 23, and has in truth looked semi competent in the Dutch league. He's a championship player. And he performed the key functions required of a central midfielder better than our 2.

I remember Roy Keane saying, that Brian Clough said to him, can you pass? Can you run? Can you tackle? The answer was a yes to all, so Clough said "well just do that then". People laughed when Keane said it, but he went on to say, you'd be amazed at how many professional players can't do those things, maybe they can do 1 or 2 but not all 3. Thats basically Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin.

To go back to point, Ancelotti's credibility will take a hit if he persists with trying to get Yerry Mina, Jordan Pickford, Sigurdsson, Schneiderlin etc to play out like Barcelona. It will not end well. He's a wonderful manager, but we have seen 3 managers fall on that alter before him.

lad the formatiran that we player 4-4-2 has nothing to do with style of playing or Barca , we played vs Chelsea in same formation but intensity, desire to win, passion and commitment was there, yesterday we didn’t have anything , just fear of failure from first minute, looks like our team was more concerned how avoid humiliation or not to loose then how to win or smashed those kids , pathetic, I think club finally realized what’s the challenge and maybe that match was the best thing that happened to us at the moment for our future
I am wondering what kind of atmosphere will be on Saturday

lad the formatiran that we player 4-4-2 has nothing to do with style of playing or Barca , we played vs Chelsea in same formation but intensity, desire to win, passion and commitment was there, yesterday we didn’t have anything , just fear of failure from first minute, looks like our team was more concerned how avoid humiliation or not to loose then how to win or smashed those kids , pathetic, I think club finally realized what’s the challenge and maybe that match was the best thing that happened to us at the moment for our future
I am wondering what kind of atmosphere will be on Saturday
A toxic one.

Not an Everton fan, so no skin in this, but I was quite surprised at how (tactically) Ancelotti didn't do something to break up the comfort that Liverpool played with in the second half. Despite being good technical players Liverpool were inexperienced and easily got at in the first half. It was a bit lifeless on the sideline from Everton I thought.

If that match was played again there'd almost certainly be a different outcome. More like their Villa result. I'm over it and actually looking
forward - in a way - to the next derby.

There isn't any excuse for yesterday. We all know that and the result is far more embarrassing than we could have ever dreaded.

What I took from the game however was that this was 100% on the players. They passed it back in defence every time they couldn't see a pass on and put themselves back under pressure. Noone in midfield was making themselves available.

The midfield was none existent. Those two have to be sold asap because no way should either of them just disappear like that. Even just niggling fouls snapping at them to put them off their stride but nothing. Neither of them wanted the ball and their movement was none existent.

The attack then struggled second half because the team couldn't move it to them. Literally richarldson Kean and lewen were just isolated , watching Liverpool just control the ball. Richy dropping back and making tackles just epitomised how bad the midfield was

Sidebe now looks lost wherever his position is meant to be. Is he right wing? Midfield? Yeah that needs to stop now.

Defence as a unit played well defending. We rarely looked like conceding and it took the best goal of a lads career to break them down. Could have been even better sure but that isn't too corner and we have a replay , no matter how undeserved.

The missing players really told it's own story but I don't believe we have the fight combination to begin with. Hopefully we do sign someone to Marshall the middle this month as it will make a.massive difference.

All the pee taking after yesterday is fully deserved. We should be embarrassed by that , klopp effectively threw the game and still beat us. However perhaps hitting rock bottom in terms of the Derby may have been just what we needed to kick some arses into performing in future.

Yesterday should also serve to be a notice for some of those players as well.

I watched that second half again.

I don't think we bottled it or had some mental barrier preventing us from playing effectively.

We played into a pattern of events that has undone us many times in the last two seasons.

That is because we did not finish off the game in the first half. When this happens the opposition gains confidence and begin to play with more freedom. This is because they realise we can't put the ball in the back of the net! That's my first point, that the finishing abilities of our offensive players currently lacks the ruthlessness required at this level!

Secondly I made a point of watching Snides, Iceman and Delph. I know this is obvious but it makes all the difference. They were simply not dynamic enough. They dis not press with any authority or aggression. It was all a bit to slow and gingerly for them. They did not carry the ball forward or play any decisive balls of conviction, which would've encouraged our team to advance. Passing sideways or behind just gets you nowhere!

Thirdly, and this is worrying. Their kids were better technically on the ball. Their pressing frustrated us. They played it quickly around us at times and the quality of passing opened us up many times. They successfully stopped us playing. It was kind of embarrassing to watch this. I guess the only way to stop this in the future would be to bring in players who are strong and aggressive, yet also possess technical prowess. We've all said it haven't we! We need leaders on the pitch. It's not an exaggeration to suggest that Snides and Iceland seemed to lack any desire to put the boot in. They're just so static and boring.

Lastly key players just did not perform to anywhere near the best of their abilities. Digne was a shadow of himself from last year. Walcott, who played terrific in the first half, literally fell apart in the second. I mean his decision making was all over the place. Pass after pass misplaced.

I honestly believe that team of youngsters could beat other teams in the premiership. If they were their own club I'm sure they would, with experience, do okay in our league. They were impressive. Maybe that's a naive statement, I dunno.

I don't know what happens now. I appreciate how difficult it will be to move Snides and Ice on. I just hope Carlo gets funds. Rumours are we will have to sell to buy. That's a concern for sure.

Last edited:
Yesterday showed nothing that most of us already knew. Carlo has a massive task on his hands to change the mentality of the club as much as the quality in it.

We have too many players who look like they couldn’t really care if we win or lose.

We need a massive cull.

Status
Not open for further replies.