Landon Donovan

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I opened this thread one month ago I thought I'd just mention a story I heard, since then we've had 750 postings and nearly 25,000 views....................[Poor language removed] you Americans can't half talklollol

When I opened this thread one month ago I thought I'd just mention a story I heard, since then we've had 750 postings and nearly 25,000 views....................[Poor language removed] you Americans can't half talklollol

You're starting to sound like a Hovis advert Monts. :D

We wont sign him

I'd like to, but how could we afford it?

We sell to buy, right? It's not nice to admit, but it's what we do, isn't it?

If all goes well with Donovan, and DM wants him, don't you think that someone will be sold and the money will be spent on new players?

I think - and I admit to not reading all the posts on him - that it's not just the extra media coverage too. I think EFC would sell more shirts in the USA and have a higher profile. (Be interesting if you charted how many new American posters come here as a result of his signing, for instance - assuming that information is not classified.)

Man Utd is big in Asia, right? If we sign the USA's best player, and arrange preseason friendlies every year/every other year in the USA...More crowds, more media coverage, more money...

I didn't major in business in college, but isn't this the way things go? If you look at it that way, and he produces on the field, the question might be, how can Everton afford NOT to sign Donovan?

I think San Bruno's right. Just look at the cult following Fulham have in the US after Keller, McBride, Dempsey, and EJ. Internet traffic would also be something to look at... I used to check here to look at what you guys thought of Timmy but I would never have registered if not for Landon. Anyways, first post so I have to also say good luck for this year's campaign... you had an unfortunate start and your form is much better than your current position.

Also, little known fact, Landon probably already comes with a built-in hatred of Liverpool FC. When he was a teenager for Leverkusen, he started in a match where they played Liverpool and were really bossed around. For some reason, the manager decided to blame it on Landon (because why wouldn't you blame an entire team's loss on a fragile teenager who's playing one of his first matches on the biggest stage? :huh:) and he essentially demanded to go home. Who knows how history would have changed had it not been for those damned Reds, he probably would have stayed in Europe and gotten the best training in the world instead of playing in MLS (which is a league I love, but come on, it's MLS).

...next week against the idle rich from down the East Lancs..............incidentally its on ESPN live from 4.45, you heard it here first

ESPN is showing Stoke City vs. the [Poor language removed] which is the early morning Saturday game. Fox Soccer Channel is showing the Everton vs. Manchester City game which is a late game.

Wow Donovan looked great out there. As a Galaxy fan it kind of scared me. I want Donovan back at my club in March but if Donovan keeps playing like this I don't know if Moyes can afford to not pick him up. The Arsenal defenders were frightened of him and rightly so.

I see a lot of people on here calling for Donovan to take all of the set pieces and I think you guys might not want that. I have never thought that his corners or free kicks have been that great. He has an amazing penalty kick though. With the national team I would rather have Dempsey take the free kicks. I don't really know the quality of the other corner guys on Everton though. Landon can put in a great corner every now and then and sometimes an amazing curling free kick but at the Galaxy and on the National team there are others who I would like to see take them instead(and I'm not talking about Beckham).

Just a little warning so some don't get their hopes up. I would hate if some of you guys thought he is like an American version of Eddie Lewis:D

Every so often he will make a free kick that looks like this:
Go to minute 1:33
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KvPy03Y5UI

Last edited:
Probably can't but glad we have him for the run in. The best this does is gives us width on the right and have another ball handler with neat passes. Also, to a somewhat lesser degree we are splashed all over the US media which will be beneficial in the long run.

I will admit I am glad I found this forum for reasons beyond just Landon's arrival but I would be curious how many fellow new Yanks have found Everton forums since his arrival

Status
Not open for further replies.