2018/19 Kurt Zouma

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honestly don’t think he’s as good as people in here seem to think. If he stays at Chelsea he’s 3rd or 4th choice comfortably even if they sign no one.
His recovery pace made a big difference last season, as did his natural aggression.

I'd like to bring him in permanently, but at the same time, there are plenty of other quality centre-backs out there if Chelsea play hardball.

Also, I think a lot of us are still suspicious of the club when it comes to transfers, and want this sorted early in case it drags and ends up becoming an excuse not to buy a centre-back. Arteta money and all that.

Chelsea have Luiz Rudiger and Christensen who were all ahead of Zouma under Conte and Sarri. Suppose it depends how Lampard rates Zouma but can’t imagine he’ll want to be 4th choice.
They also have David Luis plus Azpilcueta frequency fills in as a centre back too, especially if they decide to play a back 3. In addition to the young Ampadu, Chelsea also have two very highly regarded centre backs in Fikayo Tomori and Jake Clarke-Salter, who will form the backbone of England U21s at this summers euros.Tomori was actually on loan at Derby last season so Lampard will know him very well if he does take over the reins at Chelsea.

The other issue is Zouma himself. He will be looking for assurances that he will get regular game time, otherwise he will be pushing for a move. It will probably need to wait until their manager situation is sorted before there is any movement, but at this stage I wouldn't rule out us getting him. We just need to be patient.

The risk with that of course is that we may miss out in suitable alternatives in the meantime, but I guess that is what brands is being paid for.

So I'm reading they won't sell because of the transfer ban and yet they've just sold Hazard, I'm confused.
Hazard's Chelsea contract was up at the end of next season so they had to either sell him now for 100 mil + or risk losing him for nothing next year
I get that but why does the ban allow them to sell Hazard but not Zouma, I'd argue Hazard is a lot harder to replace
That lad from Dortmund in January will be hazards replacement. That’s why they didn’t mind loaning him back for the rest of the season

Honestly don’t think he’s as good as people in here seem to think. If he stays at Chelsea he’s 3rd or 4th choice comfortably even if they sign no one.
I'd like him to be signed permanently because he's a decent CB, a good foil for our other 2 main CBs, and we know he fits in well with the squad and the system. Having said that, if he doesn't sign I wouldn't be too disappointed as there are plenty of young CBs around who could come in and do as good a job, if not better, given time.

I’m just going to leave this one and check back in August. Can’t be bothered with transfers that drag on anymore.

More important than Gomes in my eyes. I still have doubts individually, but you dont play in centre defence on your own and it's all about partnerships. Keane and Zouma proved they're very good together but it may be out of our hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.