2018/19 Kurt Zouma

Status
Not open for further replies.
would love us to get mina back, BUT I think there a few good young centre backs around similar to zouma ( strong and powerful ) see what Chelsea are upto if it's a no move on and get one in quick so we don't have another mina who comes in late has no pre season and only half fit for months

Mina was at a more prestigious club on the back of a good world cup.

I think Zouma is particularly average to be honest. Doesn't have any stand out attributes that set him aside to be a "top" centre back.
Dont think you want stand out attributes for your centre halves. Leadership at the back is the main one but I'm sick to death of the European way clouding our view on what a centre back should be. Imo the best centre back in the league over the last 5-10 years (Kompany) played simple football, yeah he could pass the ball a bit but fundamentally he was a good defender and made few mistakes. Same with VVD.

Mina looks like a bit of a walking disaster, but so did Keane in his first season, so probably too early to pass judgement on him. Zouma has been solid in the second half of the season and not having any standout attributes as you put it, is a sign of his quality to me. Quietly went about shutting out the opponent and we kept a shed load of clean sheets. Not saying its solely down to him but he was a huge component in the defensive performance towards the end of the season.

Dont think you want stand out attributes for your centre halves. Leadership at the back is the main one but I'm sick to death of the European way clouding our view on what a centre back should be. Imo the best centre back in the league over the last 5-10 years (Kompany) played simple football, yeah he could pass the ball a bit but fundamentally he was a good defender and made few mistakes. Same with VVD.

Mina looks like a bit of a walking disaster, but so did Keane in his first season, so probably too early to pass judgement on him. Zouma has been solid in the second half of the season and not having any standout attributes as you put it, is a sign of his quality to me. Quietly went about shutting out the opponent and we kept a shed load of clean sheets. Not saying its solely down to him but he was a huge component in the defensive performance towards the end of the season.
I don’t think anybody can underestimate how much a good defence works as a unit. A good midfield can still function as individuals, I don’t believe a good defence can. so Kurt was good because Keane was good, because Digne was good etc. I believe that if we don’t buy Zouma, the problems with our defence will resurface, not because the remaining defenders aren’t individually good enough, but because the unit Isn’t! Come back Kurt, you big pacy lump you!

The problem is though he will want first team football if we buy him permanently. That means we have 30 mill defenders for two positions. Mina should be fit and in form after a full pre season. Who misses out?

In the current market I dont think 30 mil plus for Zouma is madness.

We paid close to 30 for Mina and for me Zouma is twice the player. Think hes got all the tools to be one of the best and hes only 24 which is a baby for a centre back

He’s a known quantity. He played here for a season and did well. He’s a good fit with the system, with the others in the defensive unit, the manager; the fans etc. Serms to enjoy it here as well. there are other players who might be “better” on paper but might not be a good fit for whatever reason. So I’m willing to pay a little more for that. Of course it’s not my money.

I'd be shocked if Chelsea sell him tbh l, even without the transfer ban I'd have been surprised.

He's proved himself more than good enough for a starting spot.

Only way he comes here is if he requests to leave and I think he'll back his talent and want to stay at Chelsea.

I'm sure we'll have an alternative or two lined up for this situation

I'd be shocked if Chelsea sell him tbh l, even without the transfer ban I'd have been surprised.

He's proved himself more than good enough for a starting spot.

Only way he comes here is if he requests to leave and I think he'll back his talent and want to stay at Chelsea.

I'm sure we'll have an alternative or two lined up for this situation
I am sure marcel has options .
However chelsea have broken a long standing rule of theirs by giving Luiz a 2 year contract.
Alongside Rudiger that seems to be the preferred starting pairing,
Throw in Christensen and Ampadu and thats 4 possibly ahead of Zouma

I am sure marcel has options .
However chelsea have broken a long standing rule of theirs by giving Luiz a 2 year contract.
Alongside Rudiger that seems to be the preferred starting pairing,
Throw in Christensen and Ampadu and thats 4 possibly ahead of Zouma

Possibly mate, or if I was Zouma I'd be saying "I should be first choice and it's up to one of the other 4 to partner me"

I think we'll find out quite soon, I don't think we'll be waiting until the last day of the season to secure a centre back or two this time around.

Gomes seems to be gathering pace in the jarg media.

Neres, even if true, will have to wait until the end of the Copa and even then could roll on.

Zouma could be up in the air what with their manager situation and who comes in to replace Sarri if he leaves.

All cards being kept very close to chests.

Status
Not open for further replies.