2018/19 Kieran Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should have sold him the year he impressed at Notts Forest - we have a habit of keeping hold of the academy lads for far too long instead of selling whilst their stock is high.

Same with Holgate this season - should sell after doing OK at WBA yet we'll farm him on loan until he has a disaster season like Galloway/Garbutt/Browning then sell for buttons.
Or we could try to actually use them. Loaning someone no immediately sell them doesn't have to be the system.

I think the skills he does have best set up for him to play deeper and not in the Gylfi role. Something like how De Bruyne plays. But he doesnt have the skills without the ball to do that and not be a liability so it probably won't ever happen. A player without a position.

It’s noticeable that the only teams that are ever linked with him are Championship teams,to be fair he has done ok at that level. Probably better for him and us if we sell him,as I don’t think he will make it here.

Villa just paid over £20mil for Mings and many other English players are going for silly money.

You said we would get £60mil for Vlasic.

See, we can both write lies on an internet forum.
Zat may have said it SHOULD be 30M based on Vlasic’s form in Russia, his age, and Golovin as a comp. I’m paraphrasing a bit, but that was the general gist and it’s sound logic. Player wanted the move and didn’t want to be here.

This will be controversial but I'd like to see him given time in Gomes position not to replace Andre but maybe to be a backup and if he takes to it someone who can push Gomes and give us another option in that spot. I don't think he is clever enough to play Gylfi's spot.

Dowell is a creative midfielder who can pass the ball forwards – every game I have seen him play for the England under 21’s or Everton under 23's he creates chances. We have Gomes, Sigurdsson and Bernard who fall into that category. All three of them play every week whenever fit so who will be back up to cover any injuries to them? Where would we be if two or all three were injured? I suppose you could consider Schneiderlin as cover for Gomes but surely we are just waiting for him to run down his contract before he goes. We have sold Vlasic and Klaasen. It looks like we’re going to sell Lookman – a different type of player but he could play in place of Bernard should he be injured. I don’t see us being linked with any players in this mould, i.e creative players who can see a forward pass. Let’s see who we bring in but if we don’t bring in any similar style of player then it doesn’t make sense to think of selling Dowell or loaning him out as the squad will be short of quality passers of the ball if he goes. Unless we have a creative younger player coming through then we should be keeping him.

Dowell is a creative midfielder who can pass the ball forwards – every game I have seen him play for the England under 21’s or Everton under 23's he creates chances. We have Gomes, Sigurdsson and Bernard who fall into that category. All three of them play every week whenever fit so who will be back up to cover any injuries to them? Where would we be if two or all three were injured? I suppose you could consider Schneiderlin as cover for Gomes but surely we are just waiting for him to run down his contract before he goes. We have sold Vlasic and Klaasen. It looks like we’re going to sell Lookman – a different type of player but he could play in place of Bernard should he be injured. I don’t see us being linked with any players in this mould, i.e creative players who can see a forward pass. Let’s see who we bring in but if we don’t bring in any similar style of player then it doesn’t make sense to think of selling Dowell or loaning him out as the squad will be short of quality passers of the ball if he goes. Unless we have a creative younger player coming through then we should be keeping him.
He can’t play football at a Premiership standard though. Sell and sell hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.