2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Dyche rightly getting the plaudits but quite apart from all the other off field stuff Thelwell’s worked on, the turnaround in the balance of the squad since he took over, while also turning a significant transfer profit, deserves a lot of credit.

Whoever the next owners end up being the best thing they can do is just leave Dyche and Thelwell to it.

The more I hear from this guy, the more I like him. Seems like a proper sport director that has a holostic view. Its not all about transferes, there are a lot more to it.

I've been pretty consistent on Thelwell in that it must be an incredibly tough job to do his role in the backdrop of the chaos that we've had behind the scenes

If you go back to the last Thelwell thread, some of the stuff being posted about him was laughable - lacking in any context and written as if signing players is the only thing he does (when we now know that players sales and acquisitions have not always been his remit, despite assertions to the contrary). Then you get people who simply don't want a DOF so will be opposed to anyone in that role.

Frankly, he seems to have done a remarkable job so far. My only ask would be that whatever the ownership situation is as the season progresses, he should be the one with the biggest say on ALL football decisions at the club, including (very importantly) future managerial changes etc. A big problem he's had (and Brands before him) is only being allowed to do half a job.

Dyche rightly getting the plaudits but quite apart from all the other off field stuff Thelwell’s worked on, the turnaround in the balance of the squad since he took over, while also turning a significant transfer profit, deserves a lot of credit.

Whoever the next owners end up being the best thing they can do is just leave Dyche and Thelwell to it.
If it’s 777 wonder if he’ll be promoted to group level, left alone or booted as they have their own team / ideas 🤔

The more I hear from this guy, the more I like him. Seems like a proper sport director that has a holostic view. Its not all about transferes, there are a lot more to it.

It's interesting that since Bill Kenwright passed away Thelwell has been on a number of podcasts, whereas for the first 18 months we hardly heard a peep out of him (leading to some internet warriors questioning what he even does).

Every week I get a stronger sense that there is a blast of fresh air running through Everton Football club.

It's interesting that since Bill Kenwright passed away Thelwell has been on a number of podcasts, whereas for the first 18 months we hardly heard a peep out of him (leading to some internet warriors questioning what he even does).

Every week I get a stronger sense that there is a blast of fresh air running through Everton Football club.
I thought this myself. I've seen/heard from him more the last few months than during his whole tenure previous to this. Long may it continue.

I've been pretty consistent on Thelwell in that it must be an incredibly tough job to do his role in the backdrop of the chaos that we've had behind the scenes

If you go back to the last Thelwell thread, some of the stuff being posted about him was laughable - lacking in any context and written as if signing players is the only thing he does (when we now know that players sales and acquisitions have not always been his remit, despite assertions to the contrary). Then you get people who simply don't want a DOF so will be opposed to anyone in that role.

Frankly, he seems to have done a remarkable job so far. My only ask would be that whatever the ownership situation is as the season progresses, he should be the one with the biggest say on ALL football decisions at the club, including (very importantly) future managerial changes etc. A big problem he's had (and Brands before him) is only being allowed to do half a job.
Whether he succeeds or not, this post is spot on. Amazed at how many folk think the DoF at a club our size is a scout.

Comparing the team we put out against Chelsea yesterday, compared to the team that started against them in the first game of last season, is a good measure of the work Thelwell has done. Mina, Gordon, Iwobi and Gray moved on for something like £70 million and replaced with Branthwaite, Harrison and Young who cost nothing. Improving the first 11 whilst slashing the wage bill and having a net positive transfer spend is very impressive.
8A3121A4-4446-4847-8B56-0AA0E0EECFB2.jpeg

96E9900A-A307-463D-8F2F-EA00844345B9.jpeg

If it’s 777 wonder if he’ll be promoted to group level, left alone or booted as they have their own team / ideas 🤔
777 have Spors as their group sporting director and Dransfield above him so there’s probably not a promotion opportunity there, and he’s the perfect man for his current job within that structure having done it in NY, so you’d think he’d stay put to finish the job he’s started with us.

The question around the structure is whether the group level people will support him or dictate to him and the hope has to be the former because for the first time in forever we have a football structure that’s operating clearly and without interference and we have two adults running things in Thelwell and Dyche, and we don’t need those waters muddied.