2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

…..as I said at the time, it’s a major mistake selling our best ball carrying midfielder (Iwobi) and not replacing him with somebody who helps get us up the pitch.

£20m was a good price but we miss Iwobi, Thelwell must feel Harrison can fill that void. Fingers crossed.

He signed 9 of the players that got on to the pitch today. And 13 since he’s been here for what will probably be the lowest points total in the history of the club.

What strikes me is you cant say Gana or Young are Thelwell signings. Clearly theyve been signed by Kenwright and Dyche.

Secondly, hes not spent money on defence.

Midfield he signed Onana, Garner and Gana. Overall we'll make a big profit on two and Gana off in the summer.

Wide he signed McNeil but the others are loans and up top he signed Beto+Chermiti with no money.

So really when you step back the only signings hes spent money on that play this season are McNeil, Onana, Garner and Gana.

He's made that back in sales. So really, he is suffering with constraints.

What strikes me is you cant say Gana or Young are Thelwell signings. Clearly theyve been signed by Kenwright and Dyche.

Secondly, hes not spent money on defence.

Midfield he signed Onana, Garner and Gana. Overall we'll make a big profit on two and Gana off in the summer.

Wide he signed McNeil but the others are loans and up top he signed Beto+Chermiti with no money.

So really when you step back the only signings hes spent money on that play this season are McNeil, Onana, Garner and Gana.

He's made that back in sales. So really, he is suffering with constraints.

…is Young an ‘obvious’ Dyche recruit because he came on as a substitute for the team Dyche captained over 20 years ago? i read Wolves were rumoured to be after Young when Thelwell was there. Regardless, I assume Thelwell sanctioned all deals.

I really don’t get the phrase; ‘signed Beto & Chermiti with no money’ when he’s committed the club to paying circa £40m for them. Whether we pay now or later gets away from the key question; ‘are these players good enough?’

I think we can all agree we now have a very strong Thelwell presence on the pitch. He‘s now accountable for team performance regardless on how you want to break down individual deals. He’ll deserve praise if this team does well but he has no excuses for failure. We’ll know by Christmas if he had a really good transfer window.

…is Young an ‘obvious’ Dyche recruit because he came on as a substitute for the team Dyche captained over 20 years ago? i read Wolves were rumoured to be after Young when Thelwell was there. Regardless, I assume Thelwell sanctioned all deals.

I really don’t get the phrase; ‘signed Beto & Chermiti with no money’ when he’s committed the club to paying circa £40m for them. Whether we pay now or later gets away from the key question; ‘are these players good enough?’

I think we can all agree we now have a very strong Thelwell presence on the pitch. He‘s now accountable for team performance regardless on how you want to break down individual deals. He’ll deserve praise if this team does well but he has no excuses for failure. We’ll know by Christmas if he had a really good transfer window.
Yes he has committed money, but the terms he’s had to negotiate as to when payments will be made hugely narrows the pot of who ‘could’ be signed. It also drives the final price up. Seriously not many people in football would fancy operating under the constraints and turmoil Dyche and Thelwell are facing at a club in the brink of financial ruin. If we do go down this season, which is serious prospect the blame will not lie at the door of either of these two but firmly with Moshiri and Kenwright.

Yes he has committed money, but the terms he’s had to negotiate as to when payments will be made hugely narrows the pot of who ‘could’ be signed. It also drives the final price up. Seriously not many people in football would fancy operating under the constraints and turmoil Dyche and Thelwell are facing at a club in the brink of financial ruin. If we do go down this season, which is serious prospect the blame will not lie at the door of either of these two but firmly with Moshiri and Kenwright.

Correct , you even have to look at the previous DOF's. Especially Marcel Brands who spents hundreds of millions and gave excessive contracts to the likes of Holgate lumbering the club with below average players on top 6 club wages.

My biggest query for Thelwell is how he’s managed to sign 3 wingers (McNeil, Danjuma, & Harrison) and not one of them can be considered a right-winger
This is what really concerns me and hasn't really been properly talked about. All of our wingers best positions are on the left and you cannot play them all. It's like the return of the no10s.....

McNeill cannot play right, Danjuma has only played right a few times in his career and Harrison has played there more but is still best left.

….a few things I’ve read that they are not taken with Thelwell but are happy with Dyche. I think that shows sound judgement. I would expect they’ve had discussions with both.

This is the only thing I've seen about them both. What outlets have you seen that says different?

Screenshot_20230919_113428_WhatsApp.jpg

….a few things I’ve read that they are not taken with Thelwell but are happy with Dyche. I think that shows sound judgement. I would expect they’ve had discussions with both.

I'm sorry but Dyche hasn't massively impressed me, especially against Arsenal who we never laid a glove on. I realise Arsenal are a much better team, but we showed them far too much respect. In the end it was too easy really. It's a results business and I know Dyche done very well keeping us up, but to be honest results haven't been great by a long chalk. Doesn't help with injuries and with our signings, if not injured themselves, coming late in the window.