2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

With players getting fit you can we scrambled a decent window together under horrible conditions. Hopefully he continues adding to the structure of the club aswell, with new roles, appointments and strategies.

He is working in a totally different environment to what Brands and Walsh had to operate in and working with next to no funds and doing a half decent job.

You're defending his no striker policy?

Things in the imaginary, money no object and players don't get to make a decision world, kind of make this job seem easier than it actually is.

Last season they went with the idea that Dom couldn't be as bad as he was the season before that and it backfired. If Beto scores a few and so does DCL then one of them who isn't playing regularly or starting more games as sub will eventually leave. That's what they were trying to avoid, we aren't big enough for two top strikers whilst we only play one. Thelwell hoped Maupay could post similar numbers to his Brighton days and be an Ok backup/second striker when required. I don't see madness in that idea, of course we would have wanted more but money has to come in to it now.

Things in the imaginary, money no object and players don't get to make a decision world, kind of make this job seem easier than it actually is.

Last season they went with the idea that Dom couldn't be as bad as he was the season before that and it backfired. If Beto scores a few and so does DCL then one of them who isn't playing regularly or starting more games as sub will eventually leave. That's what they were trying to avoid, we aren't big enough for two top strikers whilst we only play one. Thelwell hoped Maupay could post similar numbers to his Brighton days and be an Ok backup/second striker when required. I don't see madness in that idea, of course we would have wanted more but money has to come in to it now.

I'd you believe Bobble and his mate Benj, Maupay had very little to do with Thelwell

If you're Udinese you are waiting for money upfront offers for Beto.

If they don't come near the end if the window, only then do you start thinking about our offer.

We've got a decent striker that fits our style of play.

Also often overlooked is he is Portuguese so can also be a good mentor and hopefully a role model for young Chermiti.

Great bit of business.

For not signing a striker til so late in the window. For selling Richarlison and replacing him with Neil flipping Maupay - this clown should have been sacked ages ago. No apology will ever be enough
This will shock you - We have no money! No money to negotiate transfers or pay a club what they want , hence many potential deals fell through, others required hard bargaining. I get it that when things are so bad that people will criticise everybody including Thelwell . I also know that once they have taken a stance the majority of GOT people rarely change their mind.

In answer to your “ For not signing a striker til so late in the window” , below is what Thelwell wrote . You can make up your own mind as to whether in a club with no money his statement of ‘ that is not a position we were able to operate in “ is logical or not.

“ Ideally, we would have got all our transfer deals done before the start of the season but the reality is, to do that, you often have to pay the maximum price for a player and that is not a position we were able to operate in. It meant we had to wait until late in the window to negotiate hard and be creative to enable us to succeed in the deals we wanted to make.”

I look at our squad now and for the first time in years I like what I see. There seems a coherent plan throughout the club to get decent players and ditch the absolute dross that we've had to put up with. Thelwell should be congratulated for these obvious improvements - bearing in mind he's been operating on a shoestring budget. Goes to show how a DOF model can actually work. I'm still convinced that the ultimate approval to sign a player has to lay with the manager - but Thelwell has managed to restucture the club whilst recruiting players who should see us comfortably rise up the table. We still have a few to clear out - but hopefully we won't need to rely on these to play anything but limited minutes. That first half yesterday was like watching a completely different team from the garbage that we've had to endure ever since Koeman walked through the door.

For not signing a striker til so late in the window. For selling Richarlison and replacing him with Neil flipping Maupay - this clown should have been sacked ages ago. No apology will ever be enough
Weigh up the good and the bad.

Maupay was log obviously, he had no choice but to sell Richarlison to balance the books.

This summer I think has gone well, what do you think?

Weigh up the good and the bad.

Maupay was log obviously, he had no choice but to sell Richarlison to balance the books.

This summer I think has gone well, what do you think?

I think only time will tell if Beto and Chermiti are worth the fees we are paying for them. I’ll allow them both a settling in period of course, but nothing I’ve seen as of yet has impressed me greatly.

I think only time will tell if Beto and Chermiti are worth the fees we are paying for them. I’ll allow them both a settling in period of course, but nothing I’ve seen as of yet has impressed me greatly.
Yup, that's how we'll judge this window two or three years from now. We received good money for some questionable players. Did what we used it for work?

I think he's done really well so far.
I'm especially impressed that we went back out for the same players we were after under Lampard (Beto, Danjuma), Shows that he's sticking to his guns.
I'm not sure there'll be any world class players through our doors any time soon but maybe thats ok.
Given the environment he's been working in, he's done well.

I wonder how many people will tell you that "We didnt pay a penny for either of them".
I think what is obviously true is that we couldn’t raise money to do a “ normal” deal with at least some money up front, and structured a deal to pay something after July. What we don’t know is just how many other players/ clubs we tried to do similar deals with. Whether Beto/ Chermitti turn out be great deals time will tell, I hope they do.But they appear to me to be the best we could do in the circumstances ie without spending money we don’t have this window.

This will shock you - We have no money! No money to negotiate transfers or pay a club what they want , hence many potential deals fell through, others required hard bargaining. I get it that when things are so bad that people will criticise everybody including Thelwell . I also know that once they have taken a stance the majority of GOT people rarely change their mind.

In answer to your “ For not signing a striker til so late in the window” , below is what Thelwell wrote . You can make up your own mind as to whether in a club with no money his statement of ‘ that is not a position we were able to operate in “ is logical or not.

“ Ideally, we would have got all our transfer deals done before the start of the season but the reality is, to do that, you often have to pay the maximum price for a player and that is not a position we were able to operate in. It meant we had to wait until late in the window to negotiate hard and be creative to enable us to succeed in the deals we wanted to make.”

Maybe my mistake.

I thought Thelwell joined us in February 22?

Since then we've spent £66m on Onana, McNeil, Garner and Maupay in the 22 sunmer window alone.

A priority was a striker.