2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overtly, we are improved and some signing look really canny investments, in value, fit and safeguarding the present and future. We are a bit light in the creative Dept and still up top for me and im still struggling on McNeill. But not everything can be done in one window.

Key word is balance, bar the two areas i mentioned we can withstand injury and dont look terribly short, under previous DOF's we were heavy in certain areas and painfully short in others.

Still problems in the squad that need solutions, Gbamin, Gomes and Dele will boomerang back next summer, but we have made reasonable headway. Big year in terms of decisions on new contracts to my mind, Davies, Coleman, Iwobhino, Mina, Townsend, Pickford, The Duke - all have decisions to be made on.

You have to the trust structures and appointments being made and put in place, will take a few years to bite, so patience required, begs the question for me, if these appointments are needed now what the hell the hell was happening before.

Ultimately id like to see the bottom line of the accounts, we wont until this time next year.

Overtly, we are improved and some signing look really canny investments, in value, fit and safeguarding the present and future. We are a bit light in the creative Dept and still up top for me and im still struggling on McNeill. But not everything can be done in one window.

Key word is balance, bar the two areas i mentioned we can withstand injury and dont look terribly short, under previous DOF's we were heavy in certain areas and painfully short in others.

Still problems in the squad that need solutions, Gbamin, Gomes and Dele will boomerang back next summer, but we have made reasonable headway. Big year in terms of decisions on new contracts to my mind, Davies, Coleman, Iwobhino, Mina, Townsend, Pickford, The Duke - all have decisions to be made on.

You have to the trust structures and appointments being made and put in place, will take a few years to bite, so patience required, begs the question for me, if these appointments are needed now what the hell the hell was happening before.

Ultimately id like to see the bottom line of the accounts, we wont until this time next year.
As you say everything can’t be fixed in one transfer window, I’m mostly happy with the last window,just a striker short but very happy with those that came in, I have a feeling that James Garner will turn out to be a very good signing as well, hopefully Thelwell will continue, along with Lampard, to make right the mistakes of the past.

Good summary there.

At the very least I'd expect all of Gbamin, Gomes, and Dele to go back out on loan next year. The key was getting Dele, and in particular, Gomes, to go on loan. Once that precedent is established for him, then it makes it easier to go on loan again.

Mina, Coleman, and Townsend will hopefully leave. I'm open to extensions for Davies and Doucouré but only lukewarm on both, and it depends on other business done. I don't think both can stay.

Iwobi absolutely gets a new contract and so does Pickford, but I have a feeling Pickford will be sold next season to generate funds. Not sure of his contract situation as it stands but if he has to be sacrificed, he seems the only player that can generate sufficiently large funds, given the uncertainty with Calvert-Lewin.

I also have a feeling we might get offers for Onana if he continues to progress at such a rapid pace. He was selected for Belgium last night and may well make an impact at the World Cup. Not saying we should entertain any bids, but I welcome interest in our players. It shows progression. We used the Richarlison money quite smartly under difficult circumstances and we have to become more comfortable with interest in our players and utilise the sell and reinvest model at the right intervals as the only way to achieve sustainability.

I get a bit frustrated when all I see is him being judged on signings/outgoings when that's really only part of his job

Having said that, on that aspect of his job, he's done a good job so far

What pleases me just as much as seeing the continued news about appointments to key roles behind the scenes and restructuring of various departments - that says to me that he's having an impact behind the scenes too. Whether that translates to better outcomes, it's too early to say but he's certainly been active

I get a bit frustrated when all I see is him being judged on signings/outgoings when that's really only part of his job

Having said that, on that aspect of his job, he's done a good job so far

What pleases me just as much as seeing the continued news about appointments to key roles behind the scenes and restructuring of various departments - that says to me that he's having an impact behind the scenes too. Whether that translates to better outcomes, it's too early to say but he's certainly been active
totally agree, He has changed the set up from youth level to 1st team. Seems finally all the teams are aligned in the way we want to play. He is changing the whole structure and also good business on the 1st team. Lets hope we see progress over the next few years

Status
Not open for further replies.