2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s not, no, but for zero transfer fee we went from mostly playing Coleman and Keane as CBs in a three to replacing them with Tarkowski and Coady which is infinitely better.

Whilst I’m disappointed we’ve not taken any points it’s been the first time in a long time I’ve not felt like the opposition is going to score on every attack.
Unless you're defence is top quality then prioritising defence over the glaring issue at striker, is going to catch you out in the long run.

My opinion is not one I made up this week or last week. I've felt our strategy is wrong every day that has passed since we sold Richarlison without a replacement. I think its poor at best, and shambolic/amateurish at worst. It wouldn't happen at any other top flight club.

He should've prioritised striker(s) but he's got to find right players for limited initial outlay + clubs want more upfront than we can offer.

Also trying to get shut of Gomes, Allan, Gbamin - costing £1.2m a month.

Plus we have to cough up £10m to Spurs for that waste of space. That needs to be budgeted for.

It's not easy.

Unless you're defence is top quality then prioritising defence over the glaring issue at striker, is going to catch you out in the long run.

My opinion is not one I made up this week or last week. I've felt our strategy is wrong every day that has passed since we sold Richarlison without a replacement. I think its poor at best, and shambolic/amateurish at worst. It wouldn't happen at any other top flight club.
That’s fine mate, my opinion isn’t spur of the moment either, I was more concerned about the horrors of another season of Keane and co. than anything else.

Other top flight clubs make these mistakes all the time too by the way, even well run clubs. Chelsea have gone into this season without a top striker which is criminal for them. Liverpool spent decades without a decent back line. United are a total joke right now and started the season with Fred and McTominay both playing. Arsenal spent years trying to replace Henry, Fabregas etc. with kids and all this is without me even starting on mid table/lower half teams making missteps like when Newcastle got rid of now hot property Toney for buttons and spent 40m on joelinton who now plays midfield

That’s fine mate, my opinion isn’t spur of the moment either, I was more concerned about the horrors of another season of Keane and co. than anything else.

Other top flight clubs make these mistakes all the time too by the way, even well run clubs. Chelsea have gone into this season without a top striker which is criminal for them. Liverpool spent decades without a decent back line. United are a total joke right now and started the season with Fred and McTominay both playing. Arsenal spent years trying to replace Henry, Fabregas etc. with kids and all this is without me even starting on mid table/lower half teams making missteps like when Newcastle got rid of now hot property Toney for buttons and spent 40m on joelinton who now plays midfield
All those clubs have goalscorers in their side so a traditional no.9 is not as big an issue for them

We sold our main goalscorer who kept us up and our other goalscorer has serious question marks over his fitness. To think we were covered up top and a goalscorer wasn't no.1 priority, was pretty ludicrous to me, even before the injury to DCL.

All those clubs have goalscorers in their side so a traditional no.9 is not as big an issue for them

We sold our main goalscorer who kept us up and our other goalscorer has serious question marks over his fitness. To think we were covered up top and a goalscorer wasn't no.1 priority, was pretty ludicrous to me, even before the injury to DCL.
Nobody thought or thinks we were covered, just that shipping goals left and right needed fixing first. And tbh I think we’re trying to fix everything as quick as possible but it just so happened the CB was an out of contract and surplus to requirement loan so both easier to do quick

Nobody thought or thinks we were covered, just that shipping goals left and right needed fixing first. And tbh I think we’re trying to fix everything as quick as possible but it just so happened the CB was an out of contract and surplus to requirement loan so both easier to do quick
I don't think having some sort of idea in mind how to replace Richarlison should be too much to ask in 6 weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.