Ken Bates wants us "punished like Chelsea"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is if we have tapped up the young lad and taken him away from Leeds, then we really should face the same punishment as Chelsea. I will have no issue about it because I think what Fifa are doing to Chelsea is right and should be a blanket punishment.
I have to agree..though i bet when push comes to shove chelsea will be let off with a fine at best.

The sooner theres a complete ban on any trnasfers invloving players under the age of 18 the better,it'd stop all this nonsense at least in thoery

Jesus at the age of 16-17 you can barely wipe your own arse let alone sign a potentally big contract

From the OS

The hearing, which took place at the Premier League's offices in London on Monday, declared that Everton should pay an initial £600,000, which could rise by an additional £750,000 depending on appearances.
There will be a further additional payment of £200,000 if the player makes a senior international appearance, while Leeds would also receive 20 per cent of any profit should Garbutt be sold on.
My maths is shaky, but the minimum we'll pay is £600,000. If he works out and becomes a regular that could rise by another £750,000 taking it to £1.35m. Should he be picked for England, it would be £1.55m (in which case it would have been a bargain). The 20% sell-on clause is high, though.

Last edited:
Luke Garbutt compensation

Tribunal backs Ken Bates: Everton could pay Leeds up to £1.5million for Luke Garbutt | Mail Online

Everton could pay Leeds up to £1.5million for Luke Garbutt after tribunal backs Ken Bates

By JOHN EDWARDS Last updated at 10:18 AM on 08th September 2009

Everton will have to pay up to £1.5million for untried 16-year old Luke Garbutt after being stunned by the findings into his recent move from Leeds United.
Everton have confirmed that they will have to pay an initial fee of £600,000 after the tribunal held on Monday came to the decision on compensation for the England Youth international.

The fee could rise to over £1.5m due to various add-ons including appearances, honours and international caps. Everton are believed to have initially offered £200,000 for the former Leeds academy product.

article-1211785-06541CF4000005DC-749_468x388.jpg

Hot property: Luke Garbutt in action for the England Under-17s.

LukeGarbutt_100x200.jpg

TELL US WHAT YOU THINK

Both clubs agreed that a figure would be set by a tribunal of the Professional Football Negotiating and Consultative Committee (PFCC), which is made up of representatives from the Football League, Premier League, PFA and Football Association.

The hearing, which took place at the Premier League's offices in London on Monday, declared that Everton should pay an initial £600,000, which could rise by an additional £750,000 depending on appearances.

There will be a further additional payment of £200,000 if the player makes a senior international appearance, while Leeds would also receive 20 per cent of any profit should Garbutt be sold on.

The Harrogate-born left-back is currently part of Everton's under-18 set-up and has England Under 17 honours as well as reserve team experience for the Toffees already this season.

Everton's academy manager Ray Hall said: 'This is very much a transfer for the future for Everton. It's not an uncommon move to make - many Premier League clubs invest in young talent with a view to nurturing and developing them.

'We are all delighted to have Luke at the club. He is an excellent prospect and he will be allowed to mature and learn his trade with our academy staff and players.

'I know the manager (David Moyes) will be keeping an eye on his progress, as he does with all our boys, and if he looks ready to make the next step up then he may get his chance. We have shown as a club on a regular basis that we are prepared to give youngsters an opportunity at Everton.'
A statement from the PFCC explained: 'In setting this compensation fee, the PFCC took into account the costs of training and development, the player's age and playing record.

'Also the length of time he was registered with his former club, the terms offered by both clubs, the status of the two clubs, previous committee decisions and the interest shown by other clubs in acquiring the registration of the player.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1211785/Tribunal-backs-Ken-Bates-Everton-pay-Leeds-1-5million-Luke-Garbutt.html#ixzz0QVUjTIKx

From the OS

My maths is shaky, but the minimum we'll pay is £600,000. If he works out and becomes a regular that could rise by another £750,000 taking it to £1.35m. Should he be picked for England, it would be £1.55m (in which case it would have been a bargain). The 20% sell-on clause is high, though.

The fee is high, but cheap if he turns out to be another Baines or an England internatonal (he seems very highly rated by those in our academy) - that said he could also turn out to be the next Peter Degn. The sell on clause is extreamley high thats the most dissapointing part of the deal for me.

Last edited:
So I take it this 'compensation' amount will be hitting most premiership clubs over the next few weeks, or are we only one of the few to adopt this strategy of attracting young players from lower leagues?

(Obviously already aware of Chelsea's recent activities).

I have to agree..though i bet when push comes to shove chelsea will be let off with a fine at best.

The sooner theres a complete ban on any trnasfers invloving players under the age of 18 the better,it'd stop all this nonsense at least in thoery

Jesus at the age of 16-17 you can barely wipe your own arse let alone sign a potentally big contract

But how do you develop talent? Fifa and the FA moan about there being too many foreign players in the Premiership and there needs to be more English youth coming through. But if they put a ban on transfers of players till their 18, clubs will miss out of developing a prospect from a younger age.

Training a kid from a lower league team till hes 18 will be a lot different from training a kid at United, Chelsea, Arsenal. By the time he's 18 from playing for Colchester since he was 10, he's going to miss out on 8 years or so of development at a higher level. Does anyone think Rooney would be the player he was at 17 if he was playing for Rochdale or someone? Or Fabregas if he was playing at some lower league Spanish team?

And what are clubs going to do, just pick kids from local areas?

You've also got to ask the kids and their parents. You think Garbutt would want to stay at Leeds or get a chance at a premier league club when he sees the likes of Gosling, Rodwell, Rooney all getting a chance at a young age? Most kids his age want that oppourtunity to play at a top level because by the time they're 23-24 they have to be good enough to play at a top level.

The whole thing with Bates is just down to money, not about whether the kid would've been a superstar at Leeds and they wanted to keep him. Like all these clubs coming out of the wood work now, they see big money clubs stealing their kids and want more than they initially got just incase they are good players.

What I want to know is...who signed the kids off for the money? If they knew he's worth more, why settle for that small fee?

I'd be more inclinded to send the kid back unless he was THAT good. But I bet you a tenner someone like Bates wouldnt want that, they'd want compo. And Im sure Garbut wouldnt want it either.

Last edited:
Didn't we get that Mustafi lad under shady circumstances? I seem to remember Hamburgs officials having a moan when we signed him

Everton should pay an initial £600,000, which could rise by an additional £750,000 depending on appearances.
There will be a further additional payment of £200,000 if the player makes a senior international appearance, while Leeds would also receive 20 per cent of any profit should Garbutt be sold on

So if he gets to play one international game the basefee rises to £1.55M. In addition to that we have to give them 20% of any fee we get when we sell him. So we either have him for the whole of his career or need to get more than £3M for him when we sell him to earn anything from this deal.

What would happen if we sell him to another club this christmas for a ridiculously low fee (say £1) and then buy him back next summer for the same fee (£1)? Would the additional clauses still stand then or would they be nulled? Would almost be worth it just to jab Ken on the nose. :p

Master Ken is a grade A hypocrite. I agree with some of the other posters that any club breaking the rules should pay the consequences. Even if that club is Everton.

So if he gets to play one international game the basefee rises to £1.55M. In addition to that we have to give them 20% of any fee we get when we sell him. So we either have him for the whole of his career or need to get more than £3M for him when we sell him to earn anything from this deal.

What would happen if we sell him to another club this christmas for a ridiculously low fee (say £1) and then buy him back next summer for the same fee (£1)? Would the additional clauses still stand then or would they be nulled? Would almost be worth it just to jab Ken on the nose. :p

I like this idea but it would only happen on FM, lol

what's he worth on FM btw

It seems like Leeds are not happy with this:

Initial compensation fee £600,000.

£150,000 after the player has made 5,10,20,30 and 40 appearances, i.e. a total further payment of up to £750,000.

£200,000 on the player's first full international appearance.

and apparently want clubs who poach youngsters to be docked points.

Dock them points! Angry Leeds demand Premier League 'predators' are hammered after Everton poach Luke Garbutt | Mail Online

If you look at the football clips on that link, Yak bangs in 4 for Portsmouth against Boro :)

It seems like Leeds are not happy with this:

Initial compensation fee £600,000.

£150,000 after the player has made 5,10,20,30 and 40 appearances, i.e. a total further payment of up to £750,000.

£200,000 on the player's first full international appearance.

and apparently want clubs who poach youngsters to be docked points.

Dock them points! Angry Leeds demand Premier League 'predators' are hammered after Everton poach Luke Garbutt | Mail Online

Everton should really take a strong line on this, the implication is that Everton have acted improperly & deserve punishment - it makes the fee set by the tribunal seem like a fine. It's bad enough to see Leeds United posturing beforehand to try & maximise the fee set, but for them to be making unsubstantiated allegations afterwards should not be allowed to pass without action on the part of Everton, otherwise the club's silence will appear to confirm this to be true.

Status
Not open for further replies.