Just how far behind the top four are we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man Citeh
Liverpool

Chelsea

Spuds

Man Utd
Arsenal

Us

Leicester

The only way we finish higher than Man Utd/Arsenal is it they have a disastrous season. Spurs are a step too far, but I’m confident one of Man Utd or Arsenal, preferably both balls up.

I think our first big test is coming up on Saturday, Lou.

Agreed.

A very hard place to go and get a result. They have started the season really well too. As shown last night you need decisions to go your way in these kind of tricky away fixtures.

Bournemouth will come out and play unlike Saints so it should be an excellent indicator of where we are currently at.

Geography is nor an issue as the Manchester clubs and Liverpool attract world class players.

Club history again not an issue (albeit recent history is abysmal).

Manager possibly an issue! Not sure Silva has enough gravitas.

Current squad, I think there are enough quality players so that is not a barrier in convincibg a world class player to sign.

Stadium is definitely an issue.

In summary we need the new Stadium and hope Silva's reputation rises coupled with increased revenue then in a few seasons we can definitely challange.

For now we need to focus on consistant top 8 finishes and pick up a league cup or two.

not it wont.
The big 6 will get even more decisions.
on set pieces and when they counter attack, opposition teams usuallly shoulder barge/push/pull their shirts etc to prevent them from attacking, these go largley unnoticed unless they are done blatatently. If these decisions are sent to VAR, they will get more in their favour.

Except those decisions aren’t even going to go to VAR unless there’s a penalty shout involved.

Mentality is the key but we desperately want to be nice instead, hopefully Silva doesn't get Evertonized by some of our fans and Kenwright and continues to make sure our players keep going down easily in key areas were we can capitalise from a set piece or get one of the opposition sent off, he seems to be a win at all costs type person just hope the complete do goodie goodie biffs stfu and let him get on with it.

not it wont.
The big 6 will get even more decisions.
on set pieces and when they counter attack, opposition teams usuallly shoulder barge/push/pull their shirts etc to prevent them from attacking, these go largley unnoticed unless they are done blatatently. If these decisions are sent to VAR, they will get more in their favour.

The game would be about 3 hours long if all those types of incidents went to VAR, good job they don't.

Geography is nor an issue as the Manchester clubs and Liverpool attract world class players.

Current squad, I think there are enough quality players so that is not a barrier in convincibg a world class player to sign.

In summary we need the new Stadium and hope Silva's reputation rises coupled with increased revenue then in a few seasons we can definitely challange.

For now we need to focus on consistant top 8 finishes and pick up a league cup or two.

Mina, Digne, Gomes and Bernard have all said the manager was a huge influence on them coming here. Obviously the same will be for Richarlison as well.

He's definitely a pull. He's well respected across Europe, and very highly thought of by players.

We're way, way off signing world class players mate, and I don't think the quality of players we have now would be enough to convince world class players to join. Also, one of the biggest hurdles (amongst others) stopping us signing a world class player is us not being a champions league regular, and whether we can ever get to that level is a massive shout.

Last edited:
As i said, and other posts also have; I think it's crucial we look at Spurs model of about 10 years ago. Both Spurs and Villa were level with us, and well, from being in one straight tangent, we've split 3 different ways. Villa have sunk, with poor investment, managing and so on, we've stayed still, with some smart and some horrific moves, but we've signed well, which was huge. Spurs by contrast used what they have to their advantage. A shrewd owner, good decisions in the transfer market, the london factor, consistent approach to Europe.

We need to follow their model (London aside). It'll be more difficult now due to the prominence of 6 teams rather than 3/4, but we need to plan that way, it may take longer, but if we're ambitious anything is possible.
I’m saying that he showed absolutely nothing in the PL and Chelsea went so far as to buy another player to be back up.

They still loaned him out this season despite Morata being utter dirge. Tells you all you need to know about Batshuayi.
You mean like De bruyne, lukaku and Salah.

Mina, Digne, Gomes and Bernard have all said the manager was a huge influence on them coming here. Obviously the same will be for Richarlison as well.

He's definitely a pull. He's well respected across Europe, and very highly thought of by players.
Mina and digne strung out there transfers in the hope a bigger team would come in for them. Gomes came to get fit, several clubs never went for Bernard due to his high wages and they were unsure he could had the strength to cope in this league. He was on his way to China before we went for him

If the agent fees were too much for united for mina, it will be interesting to see how much brands paid.

Man Citeh
Watford

Liverpool
Chelsea

Spuds

Man Utd
Arsenal
Us
Leicester
Bournemouth

6th place this season will be a dog-fight. Watford will nearly do a Leicester, but City is too good

We're a damn sight closer than we were eight months ago. Still miles behind, mind, but heading in the right direction under the new regime. I just hope we give it enough time.

Maybe 4 years off and then only if we start signing world class players. Otherwise forget it. Best of the rest is fine until miracles happen.

It’s subjective for me we could finish fourth this season but I’d say are a few seasons off being one of that top clubs all going to plan

Status
Not open for further replies.