judge us at the end of the transfer window – not now

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have added Garner and Gueye since we failed to win in five games.

Are we expected to believe it gets THAT much better with their addition?

Let's not kid ourselves: we desperately needed another forward in here.
How the hell can’t you be happy with that window? The squad has been completely overhauled. Fresh faces fresh personality. The old squad was full of leeches.

Striker??? 3 minutes to decide frank???

We’ll not concede many, but we ain’t gonna score many either, Goals win you matches, winning you matches enable you to stay in a division, we’ve fkd up big time here??

9 weeks to get Maupay in to replace Richarlison.

McNeill is poor.

Vinagre I dont even expect to see play.

Coady and Tarkowski are ok

Onana who knows really...ditto Garner.

Gueye ok if he still has the legs.

I like what I’ve seen from Onana, I think we have a player there. He will make mistakes but I believe he is one (I know this gets said a lot of players) if given time will be a great signing.

5/10 window. The midfield is markedly improved, the defence is probably better but it's looked shaky so far so we'll have to see. However, we are sorely lacking in creativity and goals. It's going to be a long season and there is a reasonable chance of relegation, imo.

If they'd have held back on paying for McNeill and spent it on a striker I'd give this window a higher rating.

That signing has bolloxed this window up.

Thelwell takes the blame for that.
McNeil looks the most dubious of the signings to me. Coady and Tarkowski I can understand: a bit of grockery and leadership. Onana looks very promising in an area of the pitch that is a desert for us. Idrissa Gana Not Gueye will probably give us two decent months, knock off a month before the World Cup to avoid injury, and dial in the post-Qatar season. Garner is an unknown with a lot of upside if it comes off. Maupay is so-so, but maybe gives us a bit of snide in an area bereft of snarl right now. And we kept Gordon. There are far more options now for a smart manager to exploit. It should be enough for about 14th.

In the end, Frank got to keep 50m worth of talent and spent 90m. Comparisons are odious, or invidious, or whatever you're having yourself, but his predecessor was lavished with the princely sum of 1.7m last summer. Frank's been backed.

I tend to agree. But the manager turned down an offer of circa 50m which would surely have given far greater financial scope to buy a quality striker. He chose not to, kept his man Gordon, and still got Maupay. You pays your money, you takes your choice (or not as the case may be).
Given the choice I’m happier to keep Gordon, purely because I don’t think we would have brought a forward in as good as Gordon.
We also have Maupay a CF who can also play as a second striker alongside Calvert-Lewin.
Overall I’m content with this window and eager to see how this team develops under Lampard.
Just need to get Saturday out of the way first.

5/10 window. The midfield is markedly improved, the defence is probably better but it's looked shaky so far so we'll have to see. However, we are sorely lacking in creativity and goals. It's going to be a long season and there is a reasonable chance of relegation, imo.
I disagree look at the stats we scored only 43 goals last season but the reason we finished 16 was 66 goals conceded if we do what Brighton, palace or wolves have done and aim to concede around 40-45 goals even if we struggle to score we will be alright
Screenshot_2022-09-02-00-00-05-47_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Honestly a good window imo.

The front 3 is still thin and unreliable, but we've completely transformed our midfield and defense, which were our worst areas last season.

All said, I think we are much more balanced club than last season. If DCL can come back and stay healthy, I don't see us in a relegation scrap this season.

Midfield is better but the jury is out on Garner who has never played Premier League football.

Maupay will score a few. We’re desperate for another forward.

The centre backs are the types of signings Fat Sam would have made. But we need fighters now as we’re in a fight o stay up so I can see Frank’s logic.

Very underwhelming transfer window and it’s going to be a long, difficult season.

It's a decent window imo. The strikers available aren't exactly proven premiership quality, the exception being Maupay who we did sign. All the European forwards who were getting mentioned I couldn't tell you what standard they were at.
The whole side needed revamping , they've done that , big improvements in key positions, again ,ticked the box there

Mixture of youth ,experience and know how . I trust in the two lads up front who now have good players all around the pitch .
And honestly think mid table and looking up is very possible.

There have been a lot of changes in personnel but its yet to be see if the new signings are any better than the previous players. Your talking about a Brazilian international in Allan being replaced and doucoure who many rated very highly until about 6 months ago. A prime Gueye would be an improvement but are we getting that player?

As well as a centre back pairing of keane and holgate who were very solid for a few years under ancelotti overseeing some good clean sheets in some very tough games. So it's yet to be seen if the defence 'improvement' is just like for like. Early signs suggest it is despite some on here suggesting the contrary with little evidence. But the depth in defensive positions is improved having not needed to rely on Coleman not getting injured.

I would be skeptical to say we are better equipped than we were last season. I would still say that with the loss of Richarlison we are slightly weaker. Especially in forward areas.

However we do have a good batch of young players with a lot of potential and with that in mind the club is in a good place if it can get through the season without relegation. But that is a big if right now.

I disagree look at the stats we scored only 43 goals last season but the reason we finished 16 was 66 goals conceded if we do what Brighton, palace or wolves have done and aim to concede around 40-45 goals even if we struggle to score we will be alrightView attachment 181670
We've conceded five already and looked shaky at the back so far. I'm not convinced we're the defensive rock some people are painting us as.

Status
Not open for further replies.