judge us at the end of the transfer window – not now

Status
Not open for further replies.
The absence of acquiring a proven goal scorer puts a lot of pressure on Gordon and Maupay, starting this Saturday. It is a gamble that they will cope. Let’s hope so.

Great window

The defence and midfield have been strengthened massively and can compete with most teams in the league outside the top 6.

And up front we have actually strengthened from Rondon to Maupay. Obviously we lost Richarlison but his 10 goals will be replaced. Fully expect Gray and Gordon to weigh in with significantly more than they did last season.

The truth of the matter is we needed an 8/10 window minumum.

We are a team that narrowly avoided relegation and needed to have a very good window to avooid being relegation candidates again.

We got nowhere near that and so we remain at the very least one of the favourites to go down.
We've massively improved the midfield and competition - no argument.
We've massively improved the spine in terms of leadership - no argument.
We could likely concede 10 -15 less goals which means we win/draw more games.

Garner, Maupay, Onana and McNeill all add some qualities we didn't have last season including set pieces.

It's been pretty good all in all

And players who contributed very little are off the wage bill.

The truth of the matter is we needed an 8/10 window minumum.

We are a team that narrowly avoided relegation and needed to have a very good window to avooid being relegation candidates again.

We got nowhere near that and so we remain at the very least one of the favourites to go down.
Haha last seasons squad and this one is vastly different thanks to excellent behind the scenes work.

We have added Garner and Gueye since we failed to win in five games.

Are we expected to believe it gets THAT much better with their addition?

Let's not kid ourselves: we desperately needed another forward in here.
Garner, Gueye and Maupay. It’s significant Dave. Also Onana and the other new players will improve as the team gels together. This was never going to be any easy fix.

7/10 for me, I really think we should have moved heaven and earth to get another striker in along with Maupay and DCL, but, the midfield area was our big problem. Pretty much every team with any quality we played knew that they could play through our midfield, this put added pressure on our already rocky defence and led to us conceding 66 goals last season.

We now have some good central midfielders in the squad and the defence has been improve by the addition of Coady and Tarkowski. Hopefully we can get enough goals from Gordon and Maupay to make up for the loss of Richarlison's goals, but, a lot will depend on how many games and goals we get from DCL. My biggest fear is DCL, Maupay and Gordon being out injured at the same time and us having to use Rondon.

We have added Garner and Gueye since we failed to win in five games.

Are we expected to believe it gets THAT much better with their addition?

Let's not kid ourselves: we desperately needed another forward in here.
I tend to agree. But the manager turned down an offer of circa 50m which would surely have given far greater financial scope to buy a quality striker. He chose not to, kept his man Gordon, and still got Maupay. You pays your money, you takes your choice (or not as the case may be).

Please tell me we have 1 of them extended deal sheets in, because if we have ended the window with no Attack mid, prolific winger and just Maupay as a striker then we are deep deep trouble.
Anyone claiming this window is a success is crazy. 2 over the hill cb, for some reason 3 def minded midfielder, mcneil who was a bizzare signing and a Brighton reserve striker is simply not good enough

I tend to agree. But the manager turned down an offer of circa 50m which would surely have given far greater financial scope to buy a quality striker. He chose not to, and still got Maupay. You pays your money, you takes your choice (or not as the case may be).
If they'd have held back on paying for McNeill and spent it on a striker I'd give this window a higher rating.

That signing has bolloxed this window up.

Thelwell takes the blame for that.

Please tell me we have 1 of them extended deal sheets in, because if we have ended the window with no Attack mid, prolific winger and just Maupay as a striker then we are deep deep trouble.
Anyone claiming this window is a success is crazy. 2 over the hill cb, for some reason 3 def minded midfielder, mcneil who was a bizzare signing and a Brighton reserve striker is simply not good enough
The 3 midfielders isn't exactly hard to figure out. We had only Iwobi who can play that role competently.

It's that lack of creativity that concerns me. There's no vision apart from what Gordon brings. We're like a top end Championship outfit its so workmanlike and drab.

Garner, Gueye and Maupay. It’s significant Dave. Also Onana and the other new players will improve as the team gels together. This was never going to be any easy fix.

If McNeill had been left at Burnley and we'd have spent the cash on a great loan deal upfront or a playmaker we'd be ok. But now we lack intelligence up top where we need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.