2022/23 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
lol here you are, Stevie Wonder - Mr know it all - enjoy your cake ;)

View attachment 176870

Joao Virginia has explained how the Everton coaching staff and his teammates helped ensure he was primed and ready for his Premier League debut against Burnley on Saturday – and is hungry to make his maiden top-flight appearance “the first of many” for the Blues.

Virginia was introduced as a 43rd-minute substitute in Saturday’s game at Goodison Park, replacing the injured Jordan Pickford.

The Portugal Under-21 international was quickly forced into action, smothering Josh Brownhill’s powerful effort from the edge of the area. He was alert and accomplished when called upon in the second half, too, foiling Matej Vydra and Jay Rodriguez with fine saves.

Virginia's display earned praise from Carlo Ancelotti who described him as “comfortable and secure”, with the Everton boss also highlighting the young keeper’s “professionalism every day” in training.

Virginia – whose previous First-Team Everton appearance came in September’s Carabao Cup victory over Salford City – revealed the advice Ancelotti and goalkeeping coach Alan Kelly offered before striding out for his Premier League debut on Saturday.

“The manager and Alan told me to be confident and keep it simple and let the game come to me,” the 21-year-old told evertontv.

“That’s what I did. I waited for the game to come to me and everything went well.

“I’ve been training really well and I’ve been waiting for this moment.

“You have to work every day in training and be ready in every matchday because it can happen. You have to be ready for it.

“I am happy with my performance. I am just disappointed we didn’t get the points because we were at home and I felt we could have done more.

“But I hope it’s the first of many appearances and I keep having the opportunity to play for Everton.”

Joey he spent all of last season on loan in Portugal.

Status
Not open for further replies.