2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said it yesterday during the feeding frenzy. A lot of the issues are in his head. Maybe a hew keeping coach is required but I'd definitely bring in a sports psychologist anyway
he checks social media a lot IMO and reads all the comments, but tries to show 'no *** given' attitude during the game; which kills him. He needs a life coach for sure.

I know. Though I would counter that by saying he doesn't make mistakes every game. But I'm being devil's advocate a bit in an attempt to stay positive. I was also being very selective in going just by this season as he was solid in the one game we only scored 1 goal against Spurs.

I know you're playing devils advocate, but he is getting close to making a mistake every game on average.

Spurs game he was great, dominated his area and looked like a confident keeper, I thought he'd turned a corner.

But his positioning was suspect for the first goals against West Brom and West Ham. Both goals in the Fleetwood game were howlers from him. First goal against Brighton absolute howler, and he got away with a stupid punch in the second half that could have cost us again.

We've conceded 8 goals all season, and hes been at fault for more than half of them. That ratio is just nowhere near good enough I'm afraid, you can't defend it

One thing to dispel is that we were caught out signing Pickford. It has been said many times that the goalkeeper position is unique. It is a gamble how many errors your keeper makes over say a season. Does anyone think that Chelsea or his former club were idiots having Kepa? No, of course not. That is insulting. Things did not pan out for the fairly young Kepa. He might mature and become very good, as might the presently despised Pickford. Or they may not. Regrettably the RS seem to have one of the rare consistently good keepers.

As I've just mentioned to Nymzee, I'm being devil's advocate in defending him and extremely selective in my defence by just choosing this season's games.
To be fair mate I've been criticising him, along with a few others on here, almost from day one. It's not just mistakes but basic goalkeeping he can't get right and this has been obvious from the beginning and he doesn't seen to have improved at all

One thing to dispel is that we were caught out signing Pickford. It has been said many times that the goalkeeper position is unique. It is a gamble how many errors your keeper makes over say a season. Does anyone think that Chelsea or his former club were idiots having Kepa? No, of course not. That is insulting. Things did not pan out for the fairly young Kepa. He might mature and become very good, as might the presently despised Pickford. Or they may not. Regrettably the RS seem to have one of the rare consistently good keepers.
I think from day one pretty much everybody thought Chelsea were mad for paying what they did for kepa. I didn’t expect him to be as bad as he’s been, but it was an awful lot of money for somebody with his pedigree.

I know you're playing devils advocate, but he is getting close to making a mistake every game on average.

Spurs game he was great, dominated his area and looked like a confident keeper, I thought he'd turned a corner.

But his positioning was suspect for the first goals against West Brom and West Ham. Both goals in the Fleetwood game were howlers from him. First goal against Brighton absolute howler, and he got away with a stupid punch in the second half that could have cost us again.

We've conceded 8 goals all season, and hes been at fault for more than half of them. That ratio is just nowhere near good enough I'm afraid, you can't defend it

It is that , that could be costly in the end, down to goal difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.