2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Romero is considerably better than Lossl, but the point in itself is still a fair one. When people are saying 'he needs competition' I'm not entirely sure what they're expecting. If a bloke who's in his current national team squad and has been a number one goalkeeper pretty much throughout his career in the PL, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 isn't sufficient competition then who would be? It's a nonsense argument.
and it's not like he played nightmare of a game, Lössl. Deserves a chance, Danish #1.

The second goal can't be defended, The first one is he just takes too many touches it happens sometimes with keepers so I'm not really that mad about it because some keepers tend to make that mistake.
The second goal is just disgraceful,
It might be the worst thing he's ever done if the lad overhead kicks that and smashes it in fair play can't be saving that but he's absolutely fluffed it at soft speed straight to his hands it's somehow gone in and ultimately put us under pressure after cruising throughout the whole match.

Yup..

Tells you everything you need to know when you get fast food outfits like KFC sending out tweets taking the pee out of him by putting his head on the KFC bow-tie as if its his legs and arms. Get a proper goalie in before the window shuts please. This Kentucky fried clown will continue to let the team down and cost us games and points.

Things are bad when an gash company like that are even taking the piss.
I hope Jordan knows someone who is capable of typing a witty reply on his behalf.

The worlds most expensive goalkeeper is going to be dropped by chelsea

unfortunately we are not in a position to financially replace Pickford unless someone is prepare to pay a decent fee for him which let’s face it no one is going to because everyone knows he’s the second worst goalkeeper in the league after kepa.

all we can do is see out the rest of the season and hope his performances improve and if they don’t then try and find a buyer next summer and look for a replacement keeper in the meantime.

the only other alternative I can think of is to loan or buy a relatively cheap goalkeeper like Romero and drop Pickford

All 'keeps make mistakes and/or are complete clowns at times - that's why they are referred to as the Union, a breed unto themselves.
But I think there is a common concern among us all that despite the immense inroads we are making to establishe ourselves as a Top 6 team JP is only one howler per game away from undoing all that hard work. The defence are still stabilising but this won't happen if they have one eye on the keeper as well because they cannot trust him. I am sure after the last couple of games some of the players couldnt even look him in the eye at the end.
The problem for Carlo is whether to 'rest' him but, invariably, that could affect his confidence and make a bad situation even worse unless we can spirit up a better and readymade replacement.
Its a quandary, for sure

I think Romero is considerably better than Lossl, but the point in itself is still a fair one. When people are saying 'he needs competition' I'm not entirely sure what they're expecting. If a bloke who's in his current national team squad and has been a number one goalkeeper pretty much throughout his career in the PL, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 isn't sufficient competition then who would be? It's a nonsense argument.

You have answered your own question there haven't you mate?

Romero is a better keeper than Lossl, hence would provide better competition to Pickford

You have answered your own question there haven't you mate?

Romero is a better keeper than Lossl, hence would provide better competition to Pickford
Well not really no. The question is how that would help Pickford, not how it would help the team. Bringing in Romero would be fine by me because he could replace Pickford, the point is that just having a better keeper on the books isn't going to magically make Pickford better. It's a bizarre line of thinking and can be pretty easily disproved just by looking at the quality of number 2 keepers across the league and the performances of the respective number 1. I doubt anybody thinks Adrian was good competition for the league's best keeper last season, and Romero has been competition for De Gea over a period where he's been universally acknowledged to have got considerably worse. The idea that a good second keeper makes the first choice better just makes no sense.

The worlds most expensive goalkeeper is going to be dropped by chelsea

unfortunately we are not in a position to financially replace Pickford unless someone is prepare to pay a decent fee for him which let’s face it no one is going to because everyone knows he’s the second worst goalkeeper in the league after kepa.

all we can do is see out the rest of the season and hope his performances improve and if they don’t then try and find a buyer next summer and look for a replacement keeper in the meantime.

the only other alternative I can think of is to loan or buy a relatively cheap goalkeeper like Romero and drop Pickford
Straight up swap, Pickford for Kepa, Chelsea takes on a chunk of his pay, let Carlo work that magic. :pint2:

His big thing is reaction, so occasionally, he will save something out of blind luck. His awareness is terrible. He went past halfway to claiming that cross with no conviction to ever get there. When the guy heads it back, he was outside his near post and had to move back across to centre. Then it's fired right at him, admittedly from a short distance, but he dives backwards with 1 outstretched hand, which is bizarre, almost as though he was expecting it go higher than it did. If he stands still, or puts both his hands up without the dive for the cameras, it stays out.

I still hadn't gotten over the 2nd goal on Saturday, when he seemed to dive at it with no outstretched arm, like he wanted to head it away.

His positioning, reading of the game and the flight of the ball, his temperament, and his lack of composure are all massive problems. He plays the game, not like a top keeper, who exudes calmness, but like the mental lad who goes in goal because he doesn't mind flinging himself about. His hyperactivity is akin to the type of performance an outfield player puts in when the real goalkeeper is forced off, and to be honest, I genuinely don't see 1 strength in his game.

He is an utter, utter weirdo. Remember him wildly celebrating that save from Ighalo (when it was his own original mistake that led to the chance), absolutely screaming and punching the air? I just remember thinking, we have a corner to defend and the rest of stoppage time to play you absolute clown, just concentrate. No wonder the defence are a nervous wreck with this idiot behind them.

Well not really no. The question is how that would help Pickford, not how it would help the team. Bringing in Romero would be fine by me because he could replace Pickford, the point is that just having a better keeper on the books isn't going to magically make Pickford better. It's a bizarre line of thinking and can be pretty easily disproved just by looking at the quality of number 2 keepers across the league and the performances of the respective number 1. I doubt anybody thinks Adrian was good competition for the league's best keeper last season, and Romero has been competition for De Gea over a period where he's been universally acknowledged to have got considerably worse. The idea that a good second keeper makes the first choice better just makes no sense.

Ah ok sorry I had mis-interpreted your post.

I'm only interested in helping the team tbh, not Pickford, I've written him off now.

Agree with what (I think) your original point was now tho. The idea that if we bring in a more competent back up, Jordan's performances will massively improve, is nonsense IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.