2020/21 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
That early save yesterday against wba was class, he saved it with the same style he used against Colombia when he made that amazing save. You dont see that from many keepers, they go with one arm but Pickford sweeps he opposite arm across if he can’t reach with his leading arm, brilliant technique if needed.

His demeanor has changed since the Derby. He actually looks physically different. Calmer as well - mostly.

Without wanting to be negative it'll be some time before I'm truly confident in him. But I'm glad he's doing well for us.
100%.. Carlo put him through the world renowned 'clockwork orange' process and has him heavily desensitized to anything to do with football. Turned him into a robot with three functions - catch/punch/kick.. removed think/shout/laugh nervously after mistake/flap/annoy own fans/punch ground
New android Pickford is growing on me, but i cant help worrying old crazy jordy is still in there.

That save early on completely threw me. I thought he'd jumped too early and screamed "PICKFORD NO!!" How he pulled it off was superb!

My only worry last night was when they scored, he did his famous "run out, then hesitate and back pedal" leaving him in no mans land.

But overall, vastly improved and he looks less animated and arrogant, more switched on and focused.

Happy for the lad. Im sure it all really affects him personally so great that hes back showing quality again. May not last but should be praised for coming back strong.

This thread is like the American media with Trump. No one wants to admit it is as bad as it looks so every time he does something semi-decent everyone goes "see, he's coming around, he didn't crap on himself today." But a single day of not crapping on yourself or even two or three isn't enough to make up for the prior years of doing it.

If Pickford is going to redeem himself at this point he needs to go 3 or 4 months playing like this not 3 or 4 games. If we're sitting 4th or whatever in mid-May and the last Pickford screw up was that Silva shot against City maybe we can talk about him being back. But we are so far away from that now. He's shown us what he is.
Yep I think that's fair the last two games should be really the standard performance of Pickford, I know Everton fans like to go overboard when players have a good game but this lad has a lot of grounds to make up.

Do you both genuinely believe that if he makes one howler between now and the end of the season it undoes any good work? Every single keeper makes mistakes and though Pickford undeniably went through a long spell of poor form I don't understand your seemingly strictly linear view of progress.

He's going to make mistakes. Every keeper does. He's going to drop a clanger. Every keeper does. Claiming that he shouldn't be able to make any whatsoever from now on is an impossible bar to clear.

If his form drops back to regular mistakes then fair enough but I can't see how past poor form should mean he is more accountable for any mistakes made going forward. In the same way I wouldn't claim a player performing poorly for an extended spell and making regular mistakes shouldn't be addressed due to past good form.

Their offside gal tonight - watch him he started to come for the ball the stopped & back peddled - great shot stopper can't control his box though.....

This really - I still have no confidence in him coming to collect balls and the defenders must feel this too. He doesn't command his area at all like many top goalkeepers do.

Great shot stopper yes - But that's kind of his job! Really hope he proves me wrong but he will never be good enough really.

This really - I still have no confidence in him coming to collect balls and the defenders must feel this too. He doesn't command his area at all like many top goalkeepers do.

Great shot stopper yes - But that's kind of his job! Really hope he proves me wrong but he will never be good enough really.
And this is the reason we defend set pieces so deep now (as every commentator on earth mentions 8 times per game).

It's a weakness, but one we compensate for with some tactical nous from Carlo!

He's in the wrong league for his aerial ability lol you have to command your box more, however again last night much more composed.

His demeanor has changed since the Derby. He actually looks physically different. Calmer as well - mostly.

Without wanting to be negative it'll be some time before I'm truly confident in him. But I'm glad he's doing well for us.

To me, this is the standout difference with him recently. He's always had the ability, the problem is when he has time to think. I really do hope this mindset is here to stay with him.

I know some will laugh at this, but I think him having longer hair might be a symbol of improved maturity from him. Most footballers clearly flaunt the rules and get their hair cut regularly throughout lockdown. I've noticed that both Coleman and Pickford haven't. There could be others, but they're the ones I've noticed. To me, that shows someone taking responsibility and realising that being a footballer doesn't mean they're more important than others.

Yes, I'm a bad Everton Da.

Thought he made the correct decision & was where he should have been when the ball arrived. Allison came charging out his goal to Tino & missed the ball (again!) & he cost £80m. Don’t think he’s anywhere near our biggest issue but do think we should find an up & coming keeper as backup/competition as Olsen is competent at best & I don’t rate Virginia.

Do you both genuinely believe that if he makes one howler between now and the end of the season it undoes any good work? Every single keeper makes mistakes and though Pickford undeniably went through a long spell of poor form I don't understand your seemingly strictly linear view of progress.

He's going to make mistakes. Every keeper does. He's going to drop a clanger. Every keeper does. Claiming that he shouldn't be able to make any whatsoever from now on is an impossible bar to clear.

If his form drops back to regular mistakes then fair enough but I can't see how past poor form should mean he is more accountable for any mistakes made going forward. In the same way I wouldn't claim a player performing poorly for an extended spell and making regular mistakes shouldn't be addressed due to past good form.
It's really not so much about mistakes for me as being a consistently good shot stopper which even with this run he hasn't totally been because the actual number of shots that test him hasn't been that high. And that's good too, I don't want us conceding great chances, but it means his form can't be 3 games and he's back.

That also means that not every mistake is the same. He drops a cross (which he did yesterday) and that's not good but if he's having moments like the Tielemans goal that is imo a bigger problem. I think the consensus is if he didn't make mistakes he would be fine and I just don't know how true that is because his actual shot stopping hasn't been good either.

Status
Not open for further replies.