2018/19 Jordan Pickford

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't criticize him for the free kick. He was awful with the ball at his feet though. That's where I was disappointed, I understand he's a keeper and he has a better weak foot than I do. However, he was indecisive with the ball on his foot and booted it out of bounds way too much for my liking. The game now, in my opinion, requires a keeper who can play with the ball on the ground to an extent. It's just the way it has evolved.

I will say though, the back 4 did him no favors when they played back to him in my opinion. Just bad, slow, telegraphed passes so he had an attacker coming at him full steam. So perhaps it was exaggerated in that game.

His kicking wasn't great but as you mention, he didn't have the players in front of him to go short. Keane and Jags are accidents waiting to happen on the ball (As proved by the red card incident) and Schneiderlin didn't want to know (although he was good defensively).

It leaves Gana doing that job which exploits his weaknesses as that shouldn't be his game.

Hopefully Gomes plugs that void.

Not keen on his 'Hollywood' dives. In the WC Semi, he did that daft arch type dive for the equaliser. On Saturday he did that ridiculous jump, grabbing the bar and landing on his side dive, when the ball was clearly going well over. I hope he's not going to become one of these 'Look at me... it's all about me' type of players.

He's going to have games where he's not 100%, thankfully they'll be few and far between so i'm not going to get on his back just yet

Not keen on his 'Hollywood' dives. In the WC Semi, he did that daft arch type dive for the equaliser. On Saturday he did that ridiculous jump, grabbing the bar and landing on his side dive, when the ball was clearly going well over. I hope he's not going to become one of these 'Look at me... it's all about me' type of players.

We need a good keeper that makes spectacular saves.....

Not a keeper making good saves look spectacular....

It was a fantastic free kick.

Cant we just applaud Neves?

He took the step to his right, let’s not pretend he isn’t a little bit at fault. Loads of keepers do it and it does my head in, it’s them trying to second guess the taker but it’s not worth the risk of making yourself look stupid when the ball ends up being struck where you were standing in the first place.

Not going to slaughter him about it though, it’s pointless. We saw how important he is to us in pre-season when we conceded every shot on target we faced.

Could easily have saved that first goal, possibly should have done, but took a little step away as the free kick was being taken and gave himself a lot to do.

I, for one, am shocked that a young goalie playing for Everton has made a mistake, and agree that he should be sold and replaced by Stekelenburg.

Or, I have some perspective and realise that he is a very good keeper, who can improve, and hopefully will improve, but will make mistakes on the way there. Be interesting to see if that little step is still there on Saturday for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.