2017/18 Jonjoe Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.
He could have done better for both goals. There were probably at least a dozen other things he could have done better during the game if we're being super critical of the lad. But in my opinion there were at least 3 other players who were more culpable than Kenny in the build up to both goals. For the first goal he had no idea where the parry from Pickford was going to go. Had it gone to him and he cleared, we would have been applauding him for his positional sense. For the second, Zaha was playing down the centre at the time. He lost his man (Jagielka ball watching) far too easily. Kenny had his own man and in fairness to him saw the danger, just a bit late.

So yes, he could perhaps have done better, but I personally wouldn't blame him for either of the goals. And I just don't get why people are doing their best to find fault in a 20yo rookie when senior, more experienced players are having mares and getting away with it. These guys should be helping the kids cope in these difficult times but it appears to be the other way around at the moment.

Agree with the game analysis. But I take issue with ‘doing their best to find fault’. See this quite a bit if anyone dares question a local academy player. There are threads on all players and people make comments as they see fit. This one is about Kenny, not others.

Or do we just want every thread about academy players to be ridiculously positive, blind to errors, and give us all a warm fuzzy feeling in our stomachs?

Agree with the game analysis. But I take issue with ‘doing their best to find fault’. See this quite a bit if anyone dares question a local academy player. There are threads on all players and people make comments as they see fit. This one is about Kenny, not others.

Or do we just want every thread about academy players to be ridiculously positive, blind to errors, and give us all a warm fuzzy feeling in our stomachs?
Mate. I don't have an issue when young players receive justified criticism. If you ever go onto the youth team and loaned player threads, you'll see there are a group of posters, including myself, that contribute regularly. The posts tend to be very well balanced giving both praise and constructive criticism where due.

But when it comes to them playing for the first team, I won't sit back and accept criticism of the kids when I consider it to be unfair. I felt you were nit picking in your post on Kenny which is why I responded. For both goals there were others more culpable, but you singled out Kenny for criticism. Had you made similar posts on the Jagielka, Keane, Pickford, Baines and Schneiderlin threads I'd have said fair do's. But as far as I'm aware you didn't. In fact I saw a post in the Pickford thread defending him, but I thought he was at least as culpable as Kenny in both goals.

The other thing I hate is when young players are written off just because they aren't world beaters by the time they're 20. I'll defend them 24/7 when I see that.

I was at the game Saturday, I thought he didn't have a bad game at all. Watching the game back i feel he maybe should've done something on the first goal but overall i thought it was definitely one of his better games for us.

Mate. I don't have an issue when young players receive justified criticism. If you ever go onto the youth team and loaned player threads, you'll see there are a group of posters, including myself, that contribute regularly. The posts tend to be very well balanced giving both praise and constructive criticism where due.

But when it comes to them playing for the first team, I won't sit back and accept criticism of the kids when I consider it to be unfair. I felt you were nit picking in your post on Kenny which is why I responded. For both goals there were others more culpable, but you singled out Kenny for criticism. Had you made similar posts on the Jagielka, Keane, Pickford, Baines and Schneiderlin threads I'd have said fair do's. But as far as I'm aware you didn't. In fact I saw a post in the Pickford thread defending him, but I thought he was at least as culpable as Kenny in both goals.

The other thing I hate is when young players are written off just because they aren't world beaters by the time they're 20. I'll defend them 24/7 when I see that.

Personally I don't see what difference it makes whether it's an U23s game or a first-team game. Errors are errors, and are in the eye of the beholder. Nobody is going after anyone unfairly and it's just a matter of opinions.

But it's unnecessary to try to portray me as anti-youth in your white knight mission for academy first-teamers: my original post noted that others were at fault too, you've ignored that twice; I wasn't "singling out" Kenny -- it's a thread about Kenny. Were I "singling him out" I would've brought it up in the match thread (a possible hole in your analysis of my posting habits?); comments in a thread can tend to aim off a consensus to steer debate, hence my comments on Kenny, Pickford and others; and absolutely nobody is writing him off.

Being judged by amateurs on a forum as being partially at fault for two goals does not constitute being written off. On the contrary, it's a sign that he's being judged as the professional footballer that he is being paid to be. You would seem to prefer a conditional analysis based on whether it's the first team or not. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.

Personally I don't see what difference it makes whether it's an U23s game or a first-team game. Errors are errors, and are in the eye of the beholder. Nobody is going after anyone unfairly and it's just a matter of opinions.

But it's unnecessary to try to portray me as anti-youth in your white knight mission for academy first-teamers: my original post noted that others were at fault too, you've ignored that twice; I wasn't "singling out" Kenny -- it's a thread about Kenny. Were I "singling him out" I would've brought it up in the match thread (a possible hole in your analysis of my posting habits?); comments in a thread can tend to aim off a consensus to steer debate, hence my comments on Kenny, Pickford and others; and absolutely nobody is writing him off.

Being judged by amateurs on a forum as being partially at fault for two goals does not constitute being written off. On the contrary, it's a sign that he's being judged as the professional footballer that he is being paid to be. You would seem to prefer a conditional analysis based on whether it's the first team or not. We'll just have to agree to disagree on that.
I'm not trying to portray you as anti youth. I pulled you up on a post you made saying he was at fault for the goals that I thought was unfair. I gave my reasons and 100% stand by them. As I said in my earlier posts, had you made similar posts in the other players threads you thought culpable, I wouldn't have accused you of singling him out. In fact I probably wouldn't have commented at all. As you say it's a matter of opinion.

Also I haven't accused you of writing off Kenny or any of our other young players. But there are a lot on here who do after a handful of games, and they are the people who I was referring to in my post. It was a generic response to your generic comment about not being able to criticise our young players on here. That was also why I referred you to the youth team threads so you can see the very balanced discussions that go on in there.

I'll say again, it's not the criticism of young players that is the issue here. They will make mistakes and hopefully learn from them. He's made mistakes in previous games and probably deserved the criticism that came his way. In this case I felt the criticism was unfair.

May I also add I have a true love for Sintellins.
SitOnFence.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.