2017/18 Jonjoe Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our best defender yesterday.
He’s settling down really well. Doesn’t look out of place. Difficult step up to make but there’s something about this lid.

Obviously all the wools will think otherwise. I doubt JJK is arsed about their inherent scouse envy though.
Disagree with this, he defo looks out of place as he looks like he actually knows what he is supposed to do with a football.

mom for me yesterday, young lad playing in a team with no confidence cant be easy.
More worried about Baines who looks to be getting targeted the last few games the defensive side of his game is all over the place and not that good going forward at the moment.

Where he is from is irrelevant to me, and can be dangerous as it can lead to inferior locals being favoured over more able team mates. I don't think he is good enough. I want him to do well, it goes without saying, I hope he proves me wrong.
Being local does make a difference to me. I think its important to have a few players in the squad who have come through the ranks provided they are good enough. The more the better because they tend to care more about the club and fans than journeymen.

Kenny is not the finished article. None if our young players are and neither should they be at such a young age. But the only way they can develop is to learn from their mistakes and this kid appears to be doing exactly that. Despite the older rxperienced players being cowards and going missing.

I can never understand people who write off 20yo players as not good enough. How good were Coleman or Baines at the same age. Nowhere near this lad is the answer.

Being local does make a difference to me. I think its important to have a few players in the squad who have come through the ranks provided they are good enough. The more the better because they tend to care more about the club and fans than journeymen.

Kenny is not the finished article. None if our young players are and neither should they be at such a young age. But the only way they can develop is to learn from their mistakes and this kid appears to be doing exactly that. Despite the older rxperienced players being cowards and going missing.

I can never understand people who write off 20yo players as not good enough. How good were Coleman or Baines at the same age. Nowhere near this lad is the answer.
it's the modern culture of instant gratification that we now live in mate

Very underrated, a bit like Gary Neville was when he came into the United team...he didn't turn out too badly ;)
i see alot of gary neville in jon jo very good in the air for his size and will develop into a leader on the pitch .reading some of the negative comments on here what do people expect. a young player playing in a struggling side will only get better

i see alot of gary neville in jon jo very good in the air for his size and will develop into a leader on the pitch .reading some of the negative comments on here what do people expect. a young player playing in a struggling side will only get better

...worth noting he came through the ranks as a CB so you’re right about his ability in the air. The og at Leicester will have been a very low point for him but what he’s never lacked is character, many on here will remember him scoring the winning penalty in the Euros for England youth.

He’s showing signs of settling into the first team, but there’s a more expansive side to his game we haven’t seen much of yet. He is capable of getting beyond and behind his opposite number but it can’t help that he’s not had somebody ahead of him to build a partnership with.

He’s a useful squad player at this stage.

Not putting all the blame on him of course, but he could’ve done better for both goals. Not helped by his midfield. But he was totally unaware of McArthur and was the wrong side of Zaha.

Not putting all the blame on him of course, but he could’ve done better for both goals. Not helped by his midfield. But he was totally unaware of McArthur and was the wrong side of Zaha.
I don't think he was unaware of his man, he was in position to cover him from a cross, you could argue he might want to be touch tight in that situation, but he's a little unlucky that pickford pinged the ball right to the lads feet

He could have done better for both goals. There were probably at least a dozen other things he could have done better during the game if we're being super critical of the lad. But in my opinion there were at least 3 other players who were more culpable than Kenny in the build up to both goals. For the first goal he had no idea where the parry from Pickford was going to go. Had it gone to him and he cleared, we would have been applauding him for his positional sense. For the second, Zaha was playing down the centre at the time. He lost his man (Jagielka ball watching) far too easily. Kenny had his own man and in fairness to him saw the danger, just a bit late.

So yes, he could perhaps have done better, but I personally wouldn't blame him for either of the goals. And I just don't get why people are doing their best to find fault in a 20yo rookie when senior, more experienced players are having mares and getting away with it. These guys should be helping the kids cope in these difficult times but it appears to be the other way around at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.