2018/19 Jonjoe Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pennington, Galloway, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Williams et al are all too old for proper youth team football but unlikely to contribute to the first team, yet they've all hung around for ages.
To be fair, at certain - and different - times, most here would have said there was a definite path into the first team for Galloway and Garbutt. So there was not much wrong with having kept them in the hope that they could rediscover whatever it was that got them into the first team. But obviously I agree that we should get rid, and probably should have done a year ago. (And not that we probably didn't try with Garbutt...)

Tarashaj was one of those continental young player punts PL clubs try. (See Sandro, Vlasic, Velios, Onyekuru, Mathis, etc.)

Pennington and, sadly, probably Williams (and Connolly and Robinson) will be decent professional players but, in all probability, not for us. It's a giant stride from U21/23 star to making the first team, let alone holding down your place consistently, as Kenny, Holgate, Davies and Calvert-Lewin have all discovered. But you have to see if they have it in them to make that jump and that means keeping the better players who you think might be able to give it a go. Obviously there would be a little bit of bias from the Academy coaches as they would have promoted the players throughout the years so they do believe in the better ones. That's probably why having a relatively independent viewer and decision-maker such as Brands is a very good idea.

...not sure we can learn any more about Kenny. We can’t keep hold of players indefinitely to see if ‘they’re good enough in the future’. It gets to a point where you keep them or flog them.
He's played enough to show he has severe limitations and that he could, at best, be a slightly improved version of Hibbert. And let's face it, that's not good enough. But he's young, may improve and may add a few more strings to his bow. Get him out on loan and see what happens. Can't hurt us.

It's not just your obvious candidates like Mirallas and Besic though. I wonder if the youth team has gone astray a bit and is focused more on winning youth titles than developing players for the first team. It's led to a lot of pretty mature 'young' talent hanging about in no mans land. Pennington, Galloway, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Williams et al are all too old for proper youth team football but unlikely to contribute to the first team, yet they've all hung around for ages. Browning was similar before he hopped off to China. We need to either get better at assessing these youngsters and feeding them into the first team or moving them on so they can have a career elsewhere. It's no good having so many 22, 23 year olds hanging about in limbo.

I get what you're saying, but I am not sure there is a world of difference between focusing on winning youth titles and developing players for the first XI.

I roll my eyes massively every time someone champions a player/coach/manager who brings a "winning mentality" with them, because in the majority of cases it counts for absolutely nothing; to get a group of players embedded in the Everton club and culture AND to push them to win their league is surely as good a way of any of breeding this type of player rather than paying exorbitant fees/wages on the off-chance they can bring their winning ways with them?

Ultimately, there are very few players who ever break through from youth to first XIs with great success. Even the obvious ones in the league like Kane took time. I don't look at many, if any youth players who have departed in recent years and feel like we've let a real gem go, nor does there seem to be many in the current youth crop. That seems to be more indicative, to me, of the fact that there isn't much of the required level of talent in the current U23 crop as opposed to it being something we've failed to bring out of them.

In any event I agree totally with the sentiment that there needs to be a cut-off point at which we need to get rid if they aren't likely to make the grade, with maybe a caveat for players that may have had long-term injuries that have set back their otherwise promising development as Barkley did.

He's played enough to show he has severe limitations and that he could, at best, be a slightly improved version of Hibbert. And let's face it, that's not good enough. But he's young, may improve and may add a few more strings to his bow. Get him out on loan and see what happens. Can't hurt us.

....but it can hurt us. Sending Garbutt and Galloway on loan hurt us for many £m as we not only lost out on decent transfer fees, we’ve also paid 3 years of salary to both. The trick is to sell players who are surplus when their stock is high.

I'm 99% sure that this boy isn't good enough for Everton. However, for the sake of the 1% doubt in my mind, a season loan is best to a Premier League club where he can play on a regular basis is the right move.

Has been in and around the first team for a couple of seasons now and whether we think you think he’s going to make it or not he’s still shown more than enough talent to continue developing him. He now needs regular games, id love to loan him out to another Premier League side if we could get a club who will play him.

Ideally we also sign a top class RB to fight for a starting place with Coleman.

If the rumors are actually true and Schalke are after a loan we should 100% send him off there, provided we get a new RB in. Would be a great move for him imo.

.....but surely it’s more about what’s the best move for Everton. I honestly can’t see the point in sending him out on loan. If we don’t want him next season we should sell him.

We sent Galloway and Garbutt on loan when their stock was high, and they have ended up millstones around our necks. A further loan is not 100%, it’s high risk.

....with that approach we’ll have a first team squad of 45. If we keep him for development, it means playing him, not playing Coleman and not bringing anybody better than both of them.

What worries me is who is the cover for Coleman if we loan Kenny, really we could of givin him more game time last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.