2018/19 Jonjoe Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id actually loan him to a promoted team, he seems to be dialing it back psychologically in the Premier League because he looked a much more aggressive wing-back for England & our U23s.

The loans to league 1 and 2 he's had aren't going to help him break through that mental wall.

Our squad is peculiar at the moment in that we have a relatively small pool of first team regulars, and then a huge amount of players who are either young(ish) and on loan at lower league clubs and therefore unlikely to ever threaten our first team, and senior pros out on loan either to get their wages off the books or to put them in the shop window.

Brands would really earn his corn if he can move on 75% of those in the latter group this summer.

Our squad is peculiar at the moment in that we have a relatively small pool of first team regulars, and then a huge amount of players who are either young(ish) and on loan at lower league clubs and therefore unlikely to ever threaten our first team, and senior pros out on loan either to get their wages off the books or to put them in the shop window.

Brands would really earn his corn if he can move on 75% of those in the latter group this summer.
Absolutely massive job for Brands. This will hold us back until they are all gone. Some high earners that other Clubs will not touch for that reason. Think most of them will run the contract down so we could be stuck with them until that happens. Makes you realise the mess Brands has come into and the size of the job he has. I would say a 25% clearance would be a job well done. We will be treading in quick sand until they are all cleared out.

PLaying for Burnley for the season will do both him and us the world of good.

Consistent game time at PL Level, we'll get to see week in week out what he's like with Premier League football. If we don't fancy him after that, but he has, in a way proved himself, we can get a bit of coin for him. Win Win.

Absolutely massive job for Brands. This will hold us back until they are all gone. Some high earners that other Clubs will not touch for that reason. Think most of them will run the contract down so we could be stuck with them until that happens. Makes you realise the mess Brands has come into and the size of the job he has. I would say a 25% clearance would be a job well done. We will be treading in quick sand until they are all cleared out.

It's not just your obvious candidates like Mirallas and Besic though. I wonder if the youth team has gone astray a bit and is focused more on winning youth titles than developing players for the first team. It's led to a lot of pretty mature 'young' talent hanging about in no mans land. Pennington, Galloway, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Williams et al are all too old for proper youth team football but unlikely to contribute to the first team, yet they've all hung around for ages. Browning was similar before he hopped off to China. We need to either get better at assessing these youngsters and feeding them into the first team or moving them on so they can have a career elsewhere. It's no good having so many 22, 23 year olds hanging about in limbo.

could deffo do with a loan to a prem club, I think he's good enough to get a good run.

could do what coleman did @ blackpool and come back a better player

I think with Kenny that he's certainly good enough to have a Premier League career, but it's going to be very difficult for him to achieve that here

He's a good defender, tenacious and has a decent delivery on him, but the modern full back is dynamic and can progress the ball - that isn't really in JJK's game. He reminds me a bit of Tony Hibbert in some ways, which is not intended as any kind of slur. I just don't think he's ever going to be enough of an attacking threat to claim that spot in our side himself. He also needs to play games.

I think the plan seems reasonable enough - Coleman isn't done yet, so keep him and bring in a younger right back who better fits the profile of full back we want. In the meantime, loan Kenny out, get him games at PL level and see if he can progress. I don't think Burnley is a great choice, if they are the club being mooted, as Dyche isn't exactly renowned for encouraging attacking threat from his full backs.

It's not just your obvious candidates like Mirallas and Besic though. I wonder if the youth team has gone astray a bit and is focused more on winning youth titles than developing players for the first team. It's led to a lot of pretty mature 'young' talent hanging about in no mans land. Pennington, Galloway, Garbutt, Tarashaj, Williams et al are all too old for proper youth team football but unlikely to contribute to the first team, yet they've all hung around for ages. Browning was similar before he hopped off to China. We need to either get better at assessing these youngsters and feeding them into the first team or moving them on so they can have a career elsewhere. It's no good having so many 22, 23 year olds hanging about in limbo.

True. Hoping we have a few players capable of stepping up from the youth and like you say its all well and good winning the youth titles but I still haven't seen the transition of style of play (probably too early yet) that Brands wants from youth to 1st team. The better of our youth players should now either step up or be loaned out to at least the Championship to gain real experience and hopefully come back better and ready or if not still increase there worth. I love Unsy but is he capable of transitioning our U23's to play in a style that Brands is wanting. It is a grand plan but have doubts it can happen with Unsy. Ruthlessness is needed over the next couple of years and we will probably let one or two undeveloped gems slip away but it is what is needed. Many players to cull and think it will still take a couple of years until we reap any benefits. Like you say Brands will have to earn his corn this summer and we will see how ruthless (or too nice) he is.

Needs a baptism of fire this kid I’d loan him to a lower half team and if he impresses keep

This is the type of loan that will make or break JJK. I think he will do OK and hope he has enough about him to return and benefit us. Either way we could make a few bob on him, bring him back or dump him. Currently he is not the standard we aspire to so great move for him and us.

True. Hoping we have a few players capable of stepping up from the youth and like you say its all well and good winning the youth titles but I still haven't seen the transition of style of play (probably too early yet) that Brands wants from youth to 1st team. The better of our youth players should now either step up or be loaned out to at least the Championship to gain real experience and hopefully come back better and ready or if not still increase there worth. I love Unsy but is he capable of transitioning our U23's to play in a style that Brands is wanting. It is a grand plan but have doubts it can happen with Unsy. Ruthlessness is needed over the next couple of years and we will probably let one or two undeveloped gems slip away but it is what is needed. Many players to cull and think it will still take a couple of years until we reap any benefits. Like you say Brands will have to earn his corn this summer and we will see how ruthless (or too nice) he is.

Yeah, I agree with all of that. Unsy is doing a great job, but it's hard to suggest that the style the U23s currently play is particularly similar to that which Silva employs with the first team. On top of that, our U23s had the highest average age in the U23 league last season - most clubs have players of that age loaned out - that suggests that despite the U23s winning stuff, we might actually be harming their development, relative to what other teams are doing. Not saying that's a definite, as every player is different, but it's something to keep an eye on

This is the type of loan that will make or break JJK. I think he will do OK and hope he has enough about him to return and benefit us. Either way we could make a few bob on him, bring him back or dump him. Currently he is not the standard we aspire to so great move for him and us.

Someone like Bournemouth would be absolutely perfect for him

Status
Not open for further replies.