2018/19 Jonjoe Kenny

Status
Not open for further replies.
....in 2 years time he’ll be 24, it’s a bold statement to say he’ll improve to be first choice RB at that point. Time will tell, but if that is the aim then we shouldn’t be bringing in a RB and we should give Kenny a new contract so he can’t leave when this one expires.

It’s not a bold statement, a bold statement will be saying he will never improve no matter how much football he plays. He has the ability and only regular football will allow him the progress he needs. 24 is not the end of football by any means. He will be a key player if develope properly, a loan is an indication that he needs football more than anything else, only a proper run can we judge him properly.

The fact that we are not selling him at the first opportunity is because we are giving ourselves a chance to see how he developes. Surely not because he will never be good enough.

What a fantastic loan and opportunity for the lad, he will learn a lot playing in a different country at a new league.

It appears quite likely that he’ll get plenty of opportunities to play for them as well. He’ll without a doubt be a better player for it.

Kudos to everyone involved in the deal!

I think this means Holgate is staying. I can't imagine us buying a RB in his mid 20s because then Kenny doesn't have a future with us?
Either its Coleman first choice now with Holgate as back up, or Coleman and Kenny both not liked so we are getting a new version of Digne!! lol

Back ups are exactly that. So long as we have decent cup runs (and Coleman gets the odd knock) then Kenny would have been getting the opportunities he needs here. But instead we'll be left with either an inferior squad member as cover (Holgate) or else will be bringing in a foreign mercenary who will have spent last season struggling to cement a place in his current side.
Part of Brands' objectives in his dealings this year are seemingly to reduce the average age of the squad and to lower the wage bill. Don't see how this Kenny loan helps to achieve either.

Back ups are exactly that. So long as we have decent cup runs (and Coleman gets the odd knock) then Kenny would have been getting the opportunities he needs here. But instead we'll be left with either an inferior squad member as cover (Holgate) or else will be bringing in a foreign mercenary who will have spent last season struggling to cement a place in his current side.
Part of Brands' objectives in his dealings this year are seemingly to reduce the average age of the squad and to lower the wage bill. Don't see how this Kenny loan helps to achieve either.
The average of the squad is only relevant in terms of long term benefit. This is only a loan, so it has no impact whatsoever on the squad age. I would imagine Kenny will be paid by Schalke rather than us, so the wage bill may be reduced by us not paying a player we don't want. Hopefully that answers your query.

In my opinion Kenny isn't going to be good enough. He's not a bad player, but I think he unfortunately lacks the physical attributes to be a top quality right back, and isn't good enough to technically to make up for that. He'll have a good career no doubt, I just don't see him being good enough for a team with our alleged ambitions.

Further proof that our academy system is a bit all over the shop. The reason that the reserves is now U23's is that the wisdom is that by 22 you should know what type of player you have on your hands. We're loaning a lad out, which realistically says that he won't be good enough for our squad beyond his back up role. So, it would suggest that loaning instead of selling is a bit of an odd one, unless he's happy to come back as a backup next year?

Incredible opportunity for Kenny. Schalke are a big club. Ex-Huddersfield's David Wagner is their new manager too - so that's nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.