Joel Robles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your trying to sit on the fence - I only guess you have been a Robles detractor in the past sorry if I am wrong, if I right your post reflect that point!

No Joey, I'm being balanced and not hyperbolic

I've said numerous times now that I think he should be our #1 next season, how is that fence sitting? I'm just not building a shrine for him like you are

Go to the Howard thread last season, I was calling for Robles to get a game then

I've always been fair to Joel. I've said I consider him to be decent but not a top keeper and I've always called him out on his kicking. This isn't new stuff that's come to the fore this season, it's been a long upheld view of mine

Before I've always been adamant that he was just back up. The big change this season is that I'm now saying I want him to be #1 next season, but I'm not going to go OTT on the love in until he's proved he can do this on a consistent basis, and I'm going to continue pointing out not just his strengths but also his flaws whilst doing so

That's not fence sitting, that's just being rational

Most teams in the league would swap their keeper for Robles in his current form and yet we're arguing about whether he needs to do it for 2 seasons to be considered good enough or not. Meanwhile people were happy with Howard throwing the ball in his net most games or Pickford on the back of a few games whereas Robles needs 2 seasons.

Quite simply because he was a cheap Martinez but who started off shakily people are now refusing to acknowledge his form in the same light as his peers. If Robles had made the mistakes Loris or Cech had recently there'd he falls for his head. As it is he's still being questioned even though he's been mostly error free.

Excellent point ;)

And an all round splendid post.

If we're the same position at the end of the 17/18 season where he's been our first choice keeper, then you can make that argument, not before

Hopefully we will be

Again, I'd give him the job next season with a better defence in front of him, I'm just not going to go OTT with praise at this current juncture

I agree about not overhyping him. What I find depressing is some people want to replace him, despite how well he's been playing this season. Just look at our GF, GA record. Our lack of goal threat (other than Lukaku) is what's stopping us breaking the top 4, not our defence (although it could be improved, new CB).

Even though our defence has been iffy at times this season, having the 4th best defensive record shows it's good enough to compete if we can add more firepower to our attack.

That's your opinion mate and you're entitled to it, but I'm not sold yet, and I think people like yourself are over hyping Robles before he's truly proven himself. I also strongly believe that this type of over hype does not help him, and I'm actually starting to get a bit worried for him because I've seen how the Deulofeu situation played out and I'd be sad to see the same thing happen to Robles, because he doesn't deserve that

Plus, if arguments are going to be made that the defence is more to blame for us conceding goals and Robles is not, how come the same consideration has not been made for Stekelenberg? Why is there a double standard? Just because he is older? How is that fair? Surely if the defence can cause Robles to concede goals it also stands to reason that they could do the same for Stekelenberg does it not?

That's all people like me are saying. We believe that Robles and Stekelenberg are being held to different standards and that Robles abilities are being exaggerated by his fan base, whilst Stekelenberg's are being unfairly downplayed

All we ask is that Robles be held to a reasonable level of critical consideration and that both keepers are rated on an even playing field, as opposed to Robles always getting the benefit of the doubt and Stekelenberg always getting treated like the proverbial red headed step child (No offence intended to any red heads amongst us)

Basically, this is a plea for the Robles fan base to not fight and scratch over every single piece of criticism sent his way, however minor it may be. It is a plea to them to not keep pretending that his kicking doesn't need a massive improvement. It is a plea to not act like everything he does is fantastic and that he is on par with all the top keepers and a possible future De Gea

Now, it might be that the Robles fans are not capable of this. If that is the case then I will voluntarily not post in this particular thread. If you want a "safe space" to shower Robles with praise, then I can respect that. I admire your dedication to the lad and I'm happy for him because he seems like a decent bloke. It's good that he has a following, and long may it continue. I don't want to upset people or rile people up in anyway. I will simply post any critiques of Robles in other threads and not step on your toes in here

I don't have an agenda here. I like Robles and nothing would please me more if he was good enough to be a top keeper for us because, as you say, it would save us a lot of money and would also leave a role for Stekelenberg as back up. But I'm not going to pretend things are there that aren't, sorry I'm just not. If he does well, I'll recognise it and if doesn't do well I'm afraid I'm going to mention it, and if I think we need another keeper other than him then I'm afraid I'm going to say so. All I ask is that you respect that, and I will in turn respect your opinions. Thank you

The difference between the two is that Stekelenburg has made several shocking errors leading to goals and costing us points and Robles hasn't. I'd say we all feel safer with Joel at the back, he's just a better keeper.

I agree about not overhyping him. What I find depressing is some people want to replace him, despite how well he's been playing this season. Just look at our GF, GA record. Our lack of goal threat (other than Lukaku) is what's stopping us breaking the top 4, not our defence (although it could be improved, new CB).

Even though our defence has been iffy at times this season, having the 4th best defensive record shows it's good enough to compete if we can add more firepower to our attack.

I agree, give him the starting job next year and also sign some better defenders for him to work with

If he does well in that scenario then I'll be over the moon, as I'm sure we all we be

If people are still calling for his head at that point then they just never will accept him, which is their problem not his

I agree, give him the starting job next year and also sign some better defenders for him to work with

If he does well in that scenario then I'll be over the moon, as I'm sure we all we be

If people are still calling for his head at that point then they just never will accept him, which is their problem not his

Me too. I don't know exactly how it will pan out with Robles. I'm just hoping he carries on playing the way he is because atm you know the opposition are going to have to work hard to score.

The difference between the two is that Stekelenburg has made several shocking errors leading to goals and costing us points and Robles hasn't. I'd say we all feel safer with Joel at the back, he's just a better keeper.
hit-nail-head-cartoon-concept-illustration-saying-proverb-38484754.jpg

Stekelenburg has also had some great performances. He's new to the club and had been back up for a while elsewhere, it's only reasonable that he'd need some time to bed in and start putting some form together. People find excuses for those good games though, such as both pens in the City game being poor etc, but that doesn't wash with me I'm afraid

Both of them are good shot stoppers but crap kickers, it's a pick em for me if they were side by side at a standing start

The big difference is that Robles has had a good run of form, so it's only reasonable to keep him in to see if he can continue it

I have no fear of Stek wearing the gloves, none whatsoever

If Robles can stake his claim as #1, then I'd be fine with Stekelenburg staying on as back up and cup captain

I don't see the gulf everyone else does

Robles is ahead right now for sure, but it's not by a country mile

No idea obviously, but I'd hedge a bet that the answer is yes considering there isn't a top team in the world that doesn't use them.

We got Gueye based on stats, and while people are coming out of the woodwork now saying they always rated him, he was almost universally scoffed at beforehand.

Id like to point out that I said he would be a good signing. I said this based on what i saw with my eyes not a spreadsheet.

Gueye can tackle, can pass a ball and runs all day for you. Its obvious just by watching him play.

Oh I am sure all teams do use them, that still doesn't mean they are of any real use. If they were effective then no top team would sign a dud but there are plenty of examples of it because they don't take the intangibles into the equation. There is no humanity involved in them. They would be useful if building a team of robots to play against other robots in an arena with no variables.

Stekelenburg has also had some great performances. He's new to the club and had been back up for a while elsewhere, it's only reasonable that he'd need some time to bed in

Both of them are good shot stoppers but crap kickers, it's a pick em for me if they were side by side at a standing start

The big difference is that Robles has had a good run of form, so it's only reasonable to keep him in to see if he can continue it

If Robles can stake his claim as #1, then I'd be fine with Stekelenburg staying on as back up and cup captain

No he isn't!!

Joel that is. Can't say I have really noticed Stekelenberg's kicking one way or the other.

Stekelenburg has also had some great performances. He's new to the club and had been back up for a while elsewhere, it's only reasonable that he'd need some time to bed in and start putting some form together. People find excuses for those good games though, such as both pens in the City game being poor etc, but that doesn't wash with me I'm afraid

I don't see the gulf everyone else does

Robles is ahead right now for sure, but it's not by a country mile

I think Stek has been really good in some games. Some he has made mistakes in but he seems to get more criticism than warranted. He was great in the City game.

I think Stek has been really good in some games. Some he has made mistakes in but he seems to get more criticism than warranted. He was great in the City game.

He was magisterial in the City game

I've never been more scared for an Everton side in an away end in all my life. They battered us for long periods of that match and he was an unbreakable wall. That's the real Stek, he just needs a run of form IMO

That being said, he shouldn't get one unless Robles form drops

Status
Not open for further replies.