Joel Robles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering you keep telling people to look at Joel's stats to prove his ability.

You then go and laugh at the keeper Heaton who has the best stats this season.

You can't use stats to back your argument up and then dismiss the keeper with the best stats.

54030097.jpg

Sorry, can't agree. How often do you see him command his area and take crosses? He's what, six feet 4/5? He stays on his line far too often when the crosses come in. What he is good at is one v one's. Then, he's off his line like lightening

We need to sign Hart, Schmichel or Heaton next season. Neither Robles or Stek are number one keepers.

I'm not even convinced that Schmeichel is the best goalkeeper at Leicester.

Lloris probably.

Some goalie him.

He is, but he also has a very good reputation which means his errors are passed off as one offs. He's made some absolute howlers against City and Liverpool the likes of which if Robles made most of the forum would use as evidence of him not being good enough.

Apart from De Gea and maybe Courtois, there's not really a keeper in the league who is performing consistently error free at the moment.

Considering you keep telling people to look at Joel's stats to prove his ability.

You then go and laugh at the keeper Heaton who has the best stats this season.

You can't use stats to back your argument up and then dismiss the keeper with the best stats.

Stats in football are worthless. Far too many variables.

David Marshall was statistically the best keeper whilst at Cardiff.

I actually think Heaton is a good keeper, certainly a level above that utter shitter Schmeichel. Having said that, so is Joel, clearly.

Agreed, I wouldn't moan if we got him but I don't think he is that big of (if any) an improvement on Robles.

If we do move for a goalie it has to be a top notch one.

Schmeichel had a very good season last season, and was seen as one of the best in the league, has seemed to of gone off the boil

Adrian got called up to the spain squad, cannot get past Darren Randolph now

Heaton & Pickford average shots on goal are significantly higher than other teams so the stats can be scued there (e.g 1 good save when not doing anything for 70 minutes is a talent not all goalies posess)

This time last season Fraser Forster was keeping clean sheets left right and centre, and is having a bit of a wobble at the moment.

Basicly it is ver very hard to judge who is better and who is worse! Joel could have a fantastic 12 months but could regress during that time. But right at this particular moment i think he is just as good if not better than most of the keepers mentioned in this thread as possible replacements

Schmeichel had a very good season last season, and was seen as one of the best in the league, has seemed to of gone off the boil

Heaton & Pickford average shots on goal are significantly higher than other teams so the stats can be scued there (e.g 1 good save when not doing anything for 70 minutes is a talent not all goalies posess)

This time last season Fraser Forster was keeping clean sheets left right and centre, and is having a bit of a wobble at the moment.

Basicly it is ver very hard to judge who is better and who is worse! Joel could have a fantastic 12 months but could regress during that time. But right at this particular moment i think he is just as good if not better than most of the keepers mentioned in this thread as possible replacements

Nice to see lots of love for an Everton goalie, always thought Joel would come good, pardon the pun but he has literally grabbed his opportunity with both hands and made the most of it.

Koeman is hard but fair and I'm glad to see he didn't bring back Stek once he was fit and Joel has blossomed after having this confidence shown in him and I now believe the defence are playing knowing they have someone they can trust between the sticks.

Competition particularly for a goalie is not a bad thing and in this case it has pushed Joel to better himself and you can see the hard work which he must have put in to have made such a marked improvement.

I'm okay with Joel but we do need another class goalie to keep up the competition, then Ron has a big decision to make, but hey that's why he is paid the big bucks.

But there were loads of anomalies last season, like Vardy looking like the best striker in the league, Huth and Morgan looking like a top centre back pairing, Drinkwater looking a top midfielder. Those players have just reverted to their normal levels now, including Schmeichel, who's reverted back to being absolute dung.

Joel's sound

Give him a new long term contract, sign a young promising keeper to play as his back up and let Joel continue to grow and do well as our starting keeper.

Some people unfortunately have written themselves into a corner with Joel and will never accept he has come to be a really good goalkeeper.

He has the potential to be a top keeper but yo do that he needs to continue to make the saves that win us points, which he has been doing lately.

He'll make mistakes, every keeper does, but as long as its very rare and comes as a surprise then there's no need for him not to be our number 1.

Its also up to him, if he let's it get to his head and gets too comfortable then he will go backwards.

Tldr, Joel's our starting keeper. And he is good.

He is, but he also has a very good reputation which means his errors are passed off as one offs. He's made some absolute howlers against City and Liverpool the likes of which if Robles made most of the forum would use as evidence of him not being good enough.

Apart from De Gea and maybe Courtois, there's not really a keeper in the league who is performing consistently error free at the moment.
I haven't seen Courtois make a mistake this season yet. I've seen De Gea get beaten at the near post a couple of times and, as fans, I'm pretty sure we'd give our own goalies down the banks for that. But then again, I don't think I've ever seen a shot stopper as good as De Gea. Some of his saves are unreal, especially against us unfortunately.

Joel is on a very fine run of form and long may it continue, but he's a fair way to go to be compared with either of the above two. Based on form since the turn of the year though, he's probably been the best of the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.