2020/21 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overage players can still play in the u23s. I think the rule is a goalkeeper and three overage outfield players are allowed. Chelsea had 30 year old Danny Drinkwater playing last week while we had Pennington, who's 26.

I'm surprised we don't use the U23s more for players coming back from an injury if that's the case mate. Unless the idea is that the club wouldn't want to do it because it would have an impact on the progression of the players in the U23s squad.

I'm surprised we don't use the U23s more for players coming back from an injury if that's the case mate. Unless the idea is that the club wouldn't want to do it because it would have an impact on the progression of the players in the U23s squad.
He's actually younger than Pennington who's played practically every U23 game this season.

Edit
ha ha. Wish I'd read the next post down ;)

I agree it should be used more to help players get and stay fit, but there's differing perceptions in other countries. For a lot of international players it's seen as a humiliating experience, a sign that the management think you don't belong at senior level. Koeman didn't put Niasse in there to give him keep him active, it was done to psychologically break him. Klaassen and Sandro never got made to play there though because no one had any problem with them behind the scenes.

It's similar to simulation, certain cultures encourage with it whilst for others it's viewed as the lowest of the low. It's hard to find the right balance.

Someone enlighten me here...

Is he more of a 'sitting' midfielder or is he box-to-box like Doucoure is supposed to be? always assumed it was the latter..

I'd play him at the base of midfield with Douc and Allan in front of him. That's alot of energy up and down the pitch, hopefully he finally stays fit this time...

Status
Not open for further replies.