2019/20 Jean-Philippe Gbamin

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s a midfielder who actually passes forwards. Get a grip of yourselves, some of you deserve the midfield crabs of years gone by.

I thought his appearance was very positive, he looks an athlete and moved the ball very quickly. Yes he had a couple of mistakes but you can say that about the majority of the team today.

He was dreadful today and people trying to pretend otherwise don’t help because it just comes across as overly defensive. As plenty of people have said though, it’s perfectly understandable. The premier league takes some getting used to, and he didn’t look short of ability, just understanding.

He was dreadful today and people trying to pretend otherwise don’t help because it just comes across as overly defensive. As plenty of people have said though, it’s perfectly understandable. The premier league takes some getting used to, and he didn’t look short of ability, just understanding.

He was not dreadful. He was timid.

That is what happens when you are dropped into a midfield for the first time with a week of training and Marco Silva is shouting your instructions at you in a new language with a thick accent.

Plus the opponent is pressing in a windstorm.

He was not dreadful. He was timid.

That is what happens when you are dropped into a midfield for the first time with a week of training and Marco Silva is shouting your instructions at you in a new language with a thick accent.

Plus the opponent is pressing in a windstorm.
No he was dreadful.

As you say, there are reasons for it, but he was awful. His passing was shocking, he got caught on the ball, and he missed a couple of tackles. If he’s playing that in 12 months we’ll all be saying he was a waste of money, so he was bad. It’s fine though, it was too soon for him. I’m sure he’ll improve.

I am guessing Gbamin wouldn’t have played at all if Gomes didn’t get hurt. If he did, I imagine it would have been him to come on for Schneiderlin late if they were a couple of goals ahead, just for a run out. Imagine giving this guy grief when he’s been here not even a week, isn’t fully fit, barely knows his teammates, and was forced to play much more than planned today.
That's it. Well said. Asking him to play more of a CM role when he's a natural 6 is a little unfair. I'm sure Silva figured he and Morgan would've at least been sound defensively, but Gbamin was just a bit surprised by the speed and lack of movement up top. He'll be fine.

He got caught in possession a couple of times that led to heart palpitations but by the
end I thought he looked the part. Big, strong and mobile he will be fine.

Different player to Gana but he looks a identity kit cdm just like Rodri at City.

He got caught in possession a couple of times that led to heart palpitations but by the
end I thought he looked the part. Big, strong and mobile he will be fine.

Different player to Gana but he looks a identity kit cdm just like Rodri at City.
Yeah, he's a Gana replacement, but that doesn't mean he plays like him. We are going to play differently. He'll sit back more and protect the backline as well as distribute from distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.