January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Missing an opportunity here. Not far off top 5 and Europe. Couple of smart loans would reinvigorate the squad.

poor in my opinion if they don’t recruit.

Seems as though we are restricted financially though and it isn't just a case of getting them in.

Would help had Niasse not thought he was better than he was and gone out. Same with others.

Can Brands not just ring Davey Moyes and say:

"Listen lad, the dildo brothers are under pressure. You need signings that can make an immediate impact. I have got a French International holding midfielder here, with over 300 games in the Premier League... yours for £10m. And I also think you would really benefit from having an England international on the right-wing instead of that Ukranian joker. This guy has scored hat-tricks in the Champions League and for England.... yours for £15m. Tell ya what Moyesy, I'll throw in a goalscorer called Oumar Y'all for £30m all in. All your problems solved. Experience to get you moving."

Jarred Bowen - not sure if we would have to pay compo (he is 23)
Thomas Meunier - better than Sidibe and FREE
Blaise Matuidi - could be like Barry for a few years
Boubakary Soumare - don't know too much about him to be honest - cb and holding mid. Highly-rated by reports.
Eric Bailly - always rated him. Alongside Jones/Smalling he looked bad, but who wouldnt.

Anyone have these 5?

As a point of order Gomes was around 24 just turning 25 when we signed him, but the point is granted on Bernard.

I think 23-25 is a good age group for us to target as players. People who there should be some improvement (potentially substantial improvement if they have fallen by the wayside at a "top" club) but also a much higher ceiling in terms of levels of performance and consistency than you might get from someone who is under 20.

I've had a little look at the league table, and demographically we are currently 5th for the youngest sides in the league, and I suspect we will be in the top 4 by the end of the season. We have a young squad, but it's not recklessly young.

There has to be some degree of realism to the discussion. We are not going to become Leipzig. Not when you have an owner that clearly wants very quick success.
He was 25 turning 26 when we bought him, which is what would be relevant in terms of resale and prospective improvement.

Again, nobody is saying the squad is older or we should buy younger players, I was simply responding to a poster who appeared to be under the same misapprehension as the one I was talking to yesterday, that we have a squad full of young players who are likely to improve. We don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.