January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
don't know much about vecino, but he can't be any worse than what we have so I hope we pull it off

but that logic is flawed, great managers always make the odd bad signing ( again not saying vecino is bad )

but to say every signing he makes will be great because he is great isn't true
Yeh but judging him BEFORE signing is even worse

lol why because he’s not a star name? If Ancelotti wants him we back him.
Of course we'll back him. Doesn't stop it from being underwhelming though does it?

It would seem an odd signing to me, because he doesn't appear to solve any of the most pressing issues in the side, and we currently have 6 central midfielders competing for 2 positions. All improvements are welcome, and if he signs he may turn out to be great, but it does seem a little unnecessary to me personally.

Leeds have loaned in that Augustin. We were linked with him weren't we? Mad ting.

The way it was worded, we were offered him becuase we asked about him in the summer. I don't think we wanted him this window. Maybe if he does well at Leeds we would be back in for him in the summer

Of course we'll back him. Doesn't stop it from being underwhelming though does it?

It would seem an odd signing to me, because he doesn't appear to solve any of the most pressing issues in the side, and we currently have 6 central midfielders competing for 2 positions. All improvements are welcome, and if he signs he may turn out to be great, but it does seem a little unnecessary to me personally.
Our central midfield is our most pressing issue?

I think it's more the 'profile' (apologies for the guffy language) of the player though given we now play 2 in midfield.

I'm not sure any of them that are currently available can play in a 2. Delph maybe.

Schneiderlin certainly can't and Sigurdssen is ill-suited.

Gbamin and Gomes could I think but we still don't know when they will be back.

Davies I just have no idea with him anymore. Good player imo but needs an identity.

Our central midfield is our most pressing issue?
Yes, specifically the lack of a ball carrier or excellent passer in it which would allow us to break teams down. Alternatively we could do with somebody with a voracious appetite for tackling and covering ground. As I said, he doesn't appear to do any of those things. As far as I can tell he's quite similar in style to the players we already have. Again, i'm not moaning or anything, it just seems a bit odd.

I think central midfield is our most pressing issue. I know we have quantity but we really do lack quality (and consistency) in that position. Perhaps what is fairer to say, is that the signing of Vecino on the face of it is a "more of the same" type of signing, which is unusual. I had a look at some numbers, and one site suggests he's actually been pretty poor this season (like at a lower level than our midfielders) but another site suggests if you look at a longer view he has been a decent players over a few years.

I've watched the obligatory clips of him, and what I would say is he seems quite mobile, tall and wants to pass the ball forward.

The difficulty is though, you have to get to a point where you trust your manager. He's obviously seen him a fair bit in Serie A and may well have been on his radar. I think when you have someone of the calibre of Ancelotti it does hold some weight (rightly or wrongly).

What I think it says to me though, is messes Delph, Schneiderlin and Sigurdsson I would say there is a long way back for. He clearly wants experience in that position. This is a player with a similar profile to those 3 (it's not a 23 year old who can hopefully come in and displace them). It doesn't say a lot about his confidence in them that he wants him to come in.

6? If things go our (and Ancelotti's) way we'd have 2 of those gone tomorrow - Sigurdsson and Schneiderlin. Delph is at most a backup, Davies is a great player for the U23 team and a bang average PL player who can't run. Gbamin is injured and a wildcard, Gomes is injured and we don't know if he'd actually be any good when he returns.

I'd say it's a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.