January Transfer Thread 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
29 is too old
I don’t think so, but we will see.

Ancelotti hasn’t took this job to have players all under 25 to work with.

Just another point. I haven’t seen much of Allan but seen his rave reviews over the last couple of years. And PSG wanted him before gana but got quoted 80mil

And it’s not just about age & money. We’ve all seen how weak we are as a team. And if Ancelotti things this guy could change the whole aspect of the team. Then age and cost shouldn’t come into

If everyone is available it also gives opportunities for people to be benched for a week. Who's to say Rich and DCL are guaranteed starters? Rich is a game changer, but some games, the bigger ones he also goes missing

I think Rich is better against big team tbh. Goals this season include against City, Liverpool, Chelsea Leicester, Wolves

If everyone is available it also gives opportunities for people to be benched for a week. Who's to say Rich and DCL are guaranteed starters? Rich is a game changer, but some games, the bigger ones he also goes missing
Often when players go missing in big games, it is because they are the best players, the players not allowed, by good opposition, to have the ball. That's when space opens up for other players, we just don't have that many other players capable of doing something with it.

@catcherintherye are you still hoping for Koulibaly or similar profile or have you changed your view?

Well I still hope we go big at centre back and feel Koulibaly is about the best we could attract (and we are fortunate due to the Ancelotti connections).

I'll be frank, it was always bit of a long shot and the way the window has gone makes it much less likely to me. I think there was a world where we pumped a lot of money at Ancelotti and he used a fair chunk of it to bring in 2 or 3 experienced players he knows well. Coulibaly fits that profile very well and would be quite close to the top of the list.

A number of things have happened since then. Holgate has really emerged as a centre back and Mina has been increasingly consistent as well. We've also seen Gibson included in squads and there is a potential he may sign a deal. While we still need a centre back the profile of what we are looking for has probably changed as has the urgency.

It also appears that Brands remains firmly in control of the recruitment side of the club and continues his broader plan. In that instance it is hard to think we will pay the premium for Koulibaly. The urgency we may have had 4 weeks ago has reduced.

I have probably underestimated a little Ancleotti's desire to build a longer term plan. I know we have said this about most managers, but the noises seem to be he wants to be here at least for the medium term. If thats the case then sticking to Brands plan probably works best for him.

I would still love Koulibaly but I can understand why they may look elsewhere. It may be we look for another young prospect at centre back, I'd have certainly entertained Todibo who went to Schalke.

Status
Not open for further replies.