January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends really mate, he was replicating last years form this and the likes of United, Dortmund, Monaco etc would be after him so we wouldn't have a chance, buying a player whose going through a poor patch isn't the worst idea, pienaar and arteta where both bought in those circumstances.

The flip side to buying rated players in bad form is buying players who are in the best form of their careers at crappy clubs, and then you can end up with players who struggle to play at that level once bought, sigurdsson, Williams, klassen etc.
Aye I agree with your points. Can't confess to having a knowledge on dolberg so no counter argument on why we shouldn't buy him from me.

I do think niasse has alleviated the pressure on the need for a striker in the short term. I was arguing not too long ago we needed to buy 2 strikers but niasse has given us half of that already amazingly.

I still cannot figure out considering how bad Dortmund's defense is, why Subotic is not playing. He'd be an upgrade in CB for us you'd think for sure. Maybe he wouldn't come due to Klopp, who knows.

Ghoulam's ACL tear rules him out as the Baines replacement.

Jose Gimenez wants an EPL move so it seems, but he's got a buyout clause of 56M and don't think we are beating out Man U or Juventus.

I still cannot figure out considering how bad Dortmund's defense is, why Subotic is not playing. He'd be an upgrade in CB for us you'd think for sure. Maybe he wouldn't come due to Klopp, who knows.

Ghoulam's ACL tear rules him out as the Baines replacement.

Jose Gimenez wants an EPL move so it seems, but he's got a buyout clause of 56M and don't think we are beating out Man U or Juventus.

I'm not sure Subotic's body could cope with the prem really, makes me sad to say it, as I love him as a player, one of my favourite of all time! There are a few Dortmund fans wondering why he is frozen out too cos we have had so many injuries in defence. He did play once earlier in the league this season. But, maybe the coach just doen't think he's suitable for playing such a high line, but then again, I don't think Toprak is suited either, so I am really not sure.

But for sure I can see Subo moving on from Dortmund soon.

I'm not sure Subotic's body could cope with the prem really, makes me sad to say it, as I love him as a player, one of my favourite of all time! There are a few Dortmund fans wondering why he is frozen out too cos we have had so many injuries in defence. He did play once earlier in the league this season. But, maybe the coach just doen't think he's suitable for playing such a high line, but then again, I don't think Toprak is suited either, so I am really not sure.

But for sure I can see Subo moving on from Dortmund soon.
You might be right. He is probably an injury waiting to happen, but I don't think he's damaged goods right now and his performance is down. He's a better gamble in my opinion than Thomas Vermalean.

You might be right. He is probably an injury waiting to happen, but I don't think he's damaged goods right now and his performance is down. He's a better gamble in my opinion than Thomas Vermalean.

oh yeah totally a better gamble!

He's actually been fit for a while! He was just frozen out last season under Tuchel rather than been injured - he did suffer an arm injury late on in season 15/16, but other than that he's been fit for quite a bit. He did play regularly after the winter break on loan for Köln.

His big injury was ACL rupture in 2013/14 I think. But he did play pretty much a full season the season after. So maybe I am doing him a disservice saying he'd not cope in the prem.

I would love for him to just get a move somewhere to play, he's still only 28, so it's a shame really that he isn't playing.

Ben Gibson - In
Moussa Dembele - In
Malang Sarr - In

Mo Besic - Out
Cuco Martina - Out
Kevin Mirallas - Out
Davy Klaassen - Loan to prem team
James McCarthy - Out if a decent fee
Entertain any offers for Lennon, Williams, Mori & Stek

With the amount o incomings in the summer we need to build abit of continuity, so i would just go with necessity signings and trim the squad down as much as we can

Ben Gibson - In
Moussa Dembele - In
Malang Sarr - In

Mo Besic - Out
Cuco Martina - Out
Kevin Mirallas - Out

With the amount o incomings in the summer we need to build abit of continuity, so i would just go with necessity signings and trim the squad down as much as we can

Has Gibson got pace? Feel like whoever plays alongside Keane needs to have some.

Having said that, I'd just go and throw enough at Celtic to get both Dembele and Tierney, lesser league, but neither would have the problems associated with a new country obviously, both young enough to improve a huge amount, and both look the real deal.

Dembele yes, but Tierney no! Not because he is good enough, i just dont see how we would get him.
He is absolutely adored up there and there would be a mutiny if they were to sell him for anything less than 50m.
Plus he is absolutely loving it up there, i will bet with anyone on here he will not move from Celtic until they atleast get the 10 leagues in a row

Has Gibson got pace? Feel like whoever plays alongside Keane needs to have some.

Not particulary mate, but with Sarr and Coleman as the fullbacks the pace issue should be resolved (although i wouldnt throw Sarr in for Baines straight away, id make it gradual)

Ben Gibson - In
Moussa Dembele - In
Malang Sarr - In

Mo Besic - Out
Cuco Martina - Out
Kevin Mirallas - Out

Gibson has just signed a new contract, can't see him leaving soon. Maybe if they don't get promotion, but no chance for January.

Gibson has just signed a new contract, can't see him leaving soon. Maybe if they don't get promotion, but no chance for January.

Ahh i missed that mate, hopefully its one of them contracts the player signs so the club gets maximum money for them (even a non promotion release clause).
But yeah your right, not happening in January if thats the case.
I like the lads attitude, he has shown loyalty to boro, which is a good attribute to have

Ben Gibson - In
Moussa Dembele - In
Malang Sarr - In

Mo Besic - Out
Cuco Martina - Out
Kevin Mirallas - Out

Good shouts on the ins mate.

For me:

Centre back: Gibson, (rate that lid)
Left Back: Tierney, Sessengon Cresswell, Daniels
Striker: Batshuyai, Dembelle, Benteke, King, Wilson.

Dembele yes, but Tierney no! Not because he is good enough, i just dont see how we would get him.
He is absolutely adored up there and there would be a mutiny if they were to sell him for anything less than 50m.
Plus he is absolutely loving it up there, i will bet with anyone on here he will not move from Celtic until they atleast get the 10 leagues in a row

Could be right about Tierney mate, but would at least like to see just how the club and player would react to a massive fee and a possible very very large wage increase to the lad.

PArt of me would love it if he decided that playing for his boyhood club beats anything else - but suspect he will end up at United or similar before the next two years are out, he is too good in many ways to stay in that league - for the life of me can't think of a single player in the past 20 years close to being that talented who stayed past the first wave of serious interest from bigger leagues - even McGeady who was a lifelong Celtic fan too.

Status
Not open for further replies.