Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had the finances to indulge in squad building and buying younger players, but we blew it.

Stability for two years and the stadium are now our best route.

The changes at the academy will take time to come to fruition. The situation with the first team squad is perilous. Until we are a bit more secure and stable, more of the decisions will be for the immediate needs of the first team squad. Besides which, we have almost no wriggle room in the transfer market. We have to sell to buy. If there are good youngsters tha fit the bill, then fine, if we sell a player like Richarlison, we will need a proper PL ready replacement.
Its all on repeat though each year we enter the summer Market with the same questions aims and outcomes. This signing doesn't appear to be anything different .

The Athletic journalist Adam Crafton speaking on Sky Sports News' Paper Talk this morning:

"For Everton, Frank Lampard's had an issue in terms of keeping players fit in the second half of the season. With James Tarkowski, you have a player there who has played a lot of minutes over the last three or four years. He's incredibly consistent.

"It's a four-year deal for somebody who turns 30 in November but Frank Lampard felt he wanted a player with stature and leadership at the back who can consitently play. It's a good investment.

"Fulham had a nibble, Aston Villa were involved in discussions as well before they went for Diego Carlos but the Everton move worked best for Tarkowski, who wanted to stay close to his family in the North West. The medical yesterday went without a hitch."

The Athletic journalist Adam Crafton speaking on Sky Sports News' Paper Talk this morning:

"For Everton, Frank Lampard's had an issue in terms of keeping players fit in the second half of the season. With James Tarkowski, you have a player there who has played a lot of minutes over the last three or four years. He's incredibly consistent.

"It's a four-year deal for somebody who turns 30 in November but Frank Lampard felt he wanted a player with stature and leadership at the back who can consitently play. It's a good investment.

"Fulham had a nibble, Aston Villa were involved in discussions as well before they went for Diego Carlos but the Everton move worked best for Tarkowski, who wanted to stay close to his family in the North West. The medical yesterday went without a hitch."
29 is generally not the right age bracket for us going forward but I see goalkeeper and centre half as the exceptions. You normally need experience in those positions more than anywhere else on the field and then you put the youth and energy around them. I think he automatically becomes our best defender so I don't have a problem at all on a free. If he was costing 20m I would understand the concerns, but this is the market we currently need to use.

29 is generally not the right age bracket for us going forward but I see goalkeeper and centre half as the exceptions. You normally need experience in those positions more than anywhere else on the field and then you put the youth and energy around them. I think he automatically becomes our best defender so I don't have a problem at all on a free. If he was costing 20m I would understand the concerns, but this is the market we currently need to use.

I think its a good signing to, to be honest its enabling the next couple of years to my mind, when we will be vulnerable, takes him to 34 though - here until 2026, its a big commitment by us though likely required id imagine to get the deal over the line, a career contract for the lad himself.

Its likely a cost of about 4-5 mill a year with no ammortisation, to put that in context Yerry cost us 11.9 mill a year.

He appeared to be a leader in the Burnley team and more than anything last year that was a trait we were sorely missing.

The centre back pairing for Burnley were Tarkowski and Ben Mee. Because of injury Ben Mee missed the last quarter of the season and Collins was brought in to replace him. It didn't seem to affect how the defence operated and you would imagine Tarkowski must take a lot of credit for that.

[Poor language removed] Van Dyke across the road is 30 would we be so bothered if we managed to sign him now at his age , not putting them in the same bracket but his age shouldnt be held against him

He's at prime age for a defender in my opinion. The fact he's very rarely injured too is a big plus. The defence and goalkeeper are the two areas you should never rotate. Hopefully this coming season we can keep the same back line for most of the season.

Many seem to be missing the point a bit. Of course we have to consider the age of the player but, as many have pointed out, 33 isn’t too ancient in CB years.

The main worry is if he’s crap. Had we stood firm on something like 2 years with an option, then we have a maximum of two years’ exposure as whatever salary we’re giving him. Because we’re Everton, and even though we’ve seemingly signed him completely unopposed (Villa signed Carlos and Fulham is too far away for him) we’ve just dived straight in with a four year deal.

If he is indeed crap - and I’ve said many times already I can’t shake the feeling he will be - that means nobody else will touch him at the wages he’s on and so, YET AGAIN, we’ll be left with another player on a long-term contract, gobbling up wages for doing absolutely nothing.

We should have offered him a max of two years guaranteed. If he refused - and I know this is novel to Everton’s team of crack negotiators - we should have said “no thanks”, given him a couple of days to realise it’s the best offer on the table and come crawling back, and if he didn’t then just move onto another target.

Some players are worth going beyond your intended terms to sign. This lad isn’t one of them.

Hope I’m wrong, bet I’m right.

True,but my point was more that as a 37 year old on a free he was value for money,much like Tarkowski might be if he does choose us to sign for. Even though he's 7 years younger.
True, Gough said when he played at Everton his basic wages were the highest he ever received throughout his career, worth every penny on his performances in that first season.

When linked with him I was concerned over the 90k pw however it’s looking more like 120k pw as mentioned above he’s consistent in regards to minutes played which we need he’s not a bad defender and better than what we currently have except maybe Mina who isn’t reliable and I’d like to see him gone. Not a bad start to the window if we can build on these kind of signings. Like to see DCL and richarlison moved on quickly if they’re to go.

He appeared to be a leader in the Burnley team and more than anything last year that was a trait we were sorely missing.

The centre back pairing for Burnley were Tarkowski and Ben Mee. Because of injury Ben Mee missed the last quarter of the season and Collins was brought in to replace him. It didn't seem to affect how the defence operated and you would imagine Tarkowski must take a lot of credit for that.
I know what you mean by this but it's also what worries me most about the signing. It's a bit like when Tarkowski himself replaced Keane, it doesn't seem to affect them and that inevitably leads you to wonder whether it's the individual players who make them solid or if it's just because of the structure. Hopefully we'll find that Burnley have actually been holding back his strengths, rather than disguising his weaknesses.

He actually reminds me of Jagielka in terms of style of play. I don’t think he’s going to be as slow as some people think either, he seems to make a fair few recovery blocks and tackles. Would like us to keep the wages below £100k a week though to be honest.

When linked with him I was concerned over the 90k pw however it’s looking more like 120k pw as mentioned above he’s consistent in regards to minutes played which we need he’s not a bad defender and better than what we currently have except maybe Mina who isn’t reliable and I’d like to see him gone. Not a bad start to the window if we can build on these kind of signings. Like to see DCL and richarlison moved on quickly if they’re to go.
I think he could be a good signing but £6M a year for four years was a worry, then I realised Mina was on about the same with the wages plus a £28M transfer fee and we hardly saw him!!

Status
Not open for further replies.