Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not having it that you need a plethora of top clubs to make you a renowned pro. I look at the likes of Jagz for example. Lower league footballer. More than capable. Not sold on Tarkowski personally but happy to go with him. Can't be worse than what we've got already surely ? Add a sprinkling of leadership too.

Jagielka was 24 when he signed for Everton.

My personal opinion is that we are going to be stuck with another ageing sub par player on exorbitant wages. Any player aged 26 or over who’s given a long term deal is the same until proven otherwise.

How long a deal do you think we’d be giving him?

If we offered him a 3-year deal with a club option of a 4th, then we’ve got him under contract until he’s 32. Not exactly an old age in modern football.

It’s not like what we’ve done with Bolasie, Tosun, Sandro offering £100k+ a week on astronomical wages, is it?

I agree I’d avoid if he’s looking for 4+ years.

Well he could have joined West Ham for £30mil last year or £50mil the year before (Burnley rejected £20mil and £30mil offers).

Would you have been happier then?

Its an opinion. I dont have to be happy or not happy about anything. You're banging on like his agent. We're not negotiating here.
Even that point is coulda woulda shoulda. West ham is hardly the mecca of football at 28 is it.

Its an opinion. I dont have to be happy or not happy about anything. You're banging on like his agent. We're not negotiating here.
Even that point is coulda woulda shoulda. West ham is hardly the mecca of football at 28 is it.
There is something there on one of the reports suggesting he wants to take his time to decide aka he doesn't fancy us. Move on imo.

Reading a lot on here how good he is. I'm not going to dispute that either way as i havent watched enough of him.
But
I sometimes look at careers when i see that mentioned. And at nearly 30 he's played for oldham brentford and burnley. Is it fair to say he'd have had better clubs if he was as good as some say. Its a bit like doucoure for me. Got him at 27 and by then he'd only played for watford and rennes.
They're at a level for a reason and thats fair enough. But not 90/100k a week please. Not for that standard of player. We're just chasing our tails with these transfers. Deal has to be right. If not let another club pay him.
I think it's a very fair point. I'm not saying he's rubbish or anything but you're right that people keep saying it's a no brainer and he's so clearly better than what we've got etc but his career doesn't really suggest it. Even the whole leadership thing is overblown, he's not even Burnley's captain. At the end of the day he'd probably be a decent signing all things considered but it's difficult to reconcile the Tarkowski i've watched and can look at the career of with the fantastic player that some people talk about.

There is something there on one of the reports suggesting he wants to take his time to decide aka he doesn't fancy us. Move on imo.

Probably more a sign of this crazy league than anything else. A player relegated at 30 who hasnt had a glittering career is looking for 100k a week. We either continue to play along with the madness or we get our scouting better and look for a younger prospect.

How long a deal do you think we’d be giving him?

If we offered him a 3-year deal with a club option of a 4th, then we’ve got him under contract until he’s 32. Not exactly an old age in modern football.

It’s not like what we’ve done with Bolasie, Tosun, Sandro offering £100k+ a week on astronomical wages, is it?

I agree I’d avoid if he’s looking for 4+ years.
That's exactly what it's like, yeah. What's different about it?

Jagielka was 24 when he signed for Everton.

This is the truth and he'd had one season in the Prem. Tarkowski has had about 5. Point wasn't age it was about their route to the club being irrelevant. If they're good enough and from a minnow then so be it.

This is the truth and he'd had one season in the Prem. Tarkowski has had about 5. Point wasn't age it was about their route to the club being irrelevant. If they're good enough and from a minnow then so be it.

There is no exact science to it. But in general if a player has got to around 30 and never played for a big club its usually for a reason. Bigger clubs tend to get their players if they want them long before 30. Obvious exceptions.
Besides its not so much about the age. Its the deal. He's looking for a big bumper pay deal for his probable last contract. Cant blame him for that. But let someone else saddle themselves with it. If there is one thing Everton should be running a million miles away from its deals like this. Have we learnt nothing from the past few years.

Not having it that you need a plethora of top clubs to make you a renowned pro. I look at the likes of Jagz for example. Lower league footballer. More than capable. Not sold on Tarkowski personally but happy to go with him. Can't be worse than what we've got already surely ? Add a sprinkling of leadership too.
Jagielka was not a lower league footballer.
He just been relegated from the Premiership with Sheff. Utd when we signed him.

Status
Not open for further replies.