2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did anyone manage to decode what Benitez was saying about James there?

Sounded to me like he will get game time, but he's maybe not ready just yet? Bench at best Monday night, I reckon.

Not sure that is an accurate, account of what happened last season, my opinion is our results and bad runs tapered off when he was injured and not in the team. We struggled for a creative force, the line breaker, that could open up a team in one brilliant creative phase of play, as such our strikers goals and the whole team dried up and we tanked. That a pretty significant influence in my opinion.

If the manager doesn't fancy him that his prerogative, im not sure that is the case, if he doesn't he stupid and i dont think he is stupid. I think its speculative. As i said earlier hes already played under manager and been away internationally with im in preseason, he fulfilled all club duties. He hasnt asked for a transfer, he hasn't bad mouthed the club, hes been professional as far as i can see. Its again tr6ying to demonize someone because you turned your face from the player, its a real trait in our fanbase, for very little evidence, not like he did a Rooney on it. I do agree though its the mangers prerogative, he will live and die by results and decisions - not picking Jamo is one. We've both been around the block long enough to know, any good will is a honey moon and two losses and the knives are out for him, at that point Jamo will become a savior. That's how quickly it turns, its inevitable.

The manager will play a dull, systemic, percentage based game - that his MO. It wont get the blood racing and i find it quite amusing that much of the criticism aimed at Moyes historically they are going to get Turbo under this manager. Ultimately football is there to be enjoyed, the natives will get restless of a certain style and we know what happens then.

As i say Jamo is special, Evertonians take to heart players of his skill, quality and Maverick ability, if we cant the club is lost, its part of our culture. I think that is why it doesn't sit well with the majority of Evertonians, playing a statistical, pragmatic, dull game preferring by a manager who isnt one of us, who prefers Iwobis and Townends over the Jamos of this world - who are the epitome of our Maverick school of science Culture. Payers like Jamo should what this club should be about and if we cant find a place for them, we've lost our identity as a club. May as well be Burnlely playing the percentages.
I like your posts mate, you speak a lot of sense and clearly have a good understanding of football and high-quality players.

Did anyone manage to decode what Benitez was saying about James there?

Sounded to me like he will get game time, but he's maybe not ready just yet? Bench at best Monday night, I reckon.
They should not break up a team performing, that would not be right. He'll deffo be starting from the bench before eventually becoming the first name on the manager's team sheet.

It looks as if Benitez is going to play a counter attacking style of football. He will use Gray and Richy to run at teams and Townsend to do the same and provide crosses as will Digne and Coleman. I also hope to see Gbamin carrying the ball forward. I don’t see a space for Hamez in that sort of set up, however we need a plan B and that may be Hamez sitting in behind a front three spraying passes and through balls. Burnley may be a good game to try Hamez sitting in behind as they will not come out that often and we are going to need someone very accurate to open them up.

"He's been professional"

You have to be kidding me?

As for Everton as an attacking force with him in the team: we scored 47 goals last season as the "creative force" and "line-breaker" pulled the strings - a tally which is poor even for the Moshiri era Everton.

It looks as if Benitez is going to play a counter attacking style of football. He will use Gray and Richy to run at teams and Townsend to do the same and provide crosses as will Digne and Coleman. I also hope to see Gbamin carrying the ball forward. I don’t see a space for Hamez in that sort of set up, however we need a plan B and that may be Hamez sitting in behind a front three spraying passes and through balls. Burnley may be a good game to try Hamez sitting in behind as they will not come out that often and we are going to need someone very accurate to open them up.
We all know he wont be on the pitch for this game. I'll be surprised if he's named a sub.

Reading between the lines of the managers press conference he'll be a squad player at most which most sensible folk expected.

The fans gagging for him to be in the starting line up most weeks are going to be in for dissapointment.

The way i read his comments were:

"If i was half the manager, Jamo is as a player, id be very lucky".

Nice to see!
we built our whole team around him last year, with his favourite manager, and we finished tenth. So what should the plan be this year, build the team around him again with Rafael and finish 15th?

I think what Rafael has said is it's as simple as James simply doesn't fit Benitez' preferred style of style of play, and indeed, the style of play in the Premier League, in general. However, he understands that in certain games, when we don't have to worry as much about all 10 guys putting in a shift, James ability to unlock defences could be useful, perhaps even a necessity.

Which is probably a fair assessment. I think we will see James on the pitch before the end of September - it's not like he's going to freeze him out

Status
Not open for further replies.