2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Usmanov can find someone to create a shell company, signed a 1 year sponsorship deal with Porto worth 10m. With clause that includes signing Hamez. Done deal.

Did you remember that massive thing that’s just happened over the last 18 months, the one whereby nobody was allowed in the grounds. Well what’s happened as a consequence is clubs are basically flat broke.

Mad things happening like certain teams massively breaching wage caps, other world renowned institutions taking in additional loans to keep operating, clubs having fire sales because they’re worrying about folding.

It’s not like they wanted to create a super league or anything to ensure the money didn’t dry up

This geopolitical spat is in the mix.

Did you remember that massive thing that’s just happened over the last 18 months, the one whereby nobody was allowed in the grounds. Well what’s happened as a consequence is clubs are basically flat broke.

Mad things happening like certain teams massively breaching wage caps, other world renowned institutions taking in additional loans to keep operating, clubs having fire sales because they’re worrying about folding.

It’s not like they wanted to create a super league or anything to ensure the money didn’t dry up
Doesn’t seem to be happening with other teams though, they seem to be spending as freely as before ?

What's maddening for me is peoples inability to comprehend it's nigh on impossible to get players off the books if nobody wants them.

You're kind of arguing against yourself there.

200k a week, sitting around. Even under his footballing dad he missed far too much football with various 'slight strains, knocks and fatigue.'

He stays and I'd wager he'd start less than 5 games between now and seasons end. He'd generally be an unused sub.

I have no problem at all subsidising his wages. I found it laughable earlier in this thread people were suggesting we'd get a fee for him!

Wonderful player, but Madrid gave him away for free because he's a burden not worth having around.
Other teams manage

On your second point, you're completely misunderstanding me.

If he stays (if, I don't think it's likely) then he should absolutely be used in the same way that any other member of the squad is getting used.

We aren't good enough to act otherwise.

You could be right. However, Id still love to see him play even what proves a cameo appearance in this new pacey set-up. There's enough pace up front but we saw with Allan's measured through balls on Saturday how effective they can be. James has this skill in abundance... and then some. Lots of other factors in a difficult situation involved though, I know.
The problem, with him if you don't have the ball, he doesn't offer much. We're not good enough, to have a player like that. Think only City, Chelsea maybe Liverpool can afford that sort player.

He's such a gifted player, but is better suited to Spain or Italy.

I’d be surprised & disappointed if a player of his stature (both in football & social media status) would want to hang around now.

Obviously, there are only so many clubs who could afford him or who would interest him and of those his fading fitness rules out the top tier (Barca/Madrid/Bayern/PSG/City/Utd/Chelsea etc..).

What‘s the MLS doing these days? That would break the internet if he went there, wouldn’t it?

Other teams manage

On your second point, you're completely misunderstanding me.

If he stays (if, I don't think it's likely) then he should absolutely be used in the same way that any other member of the squad is getting used.

We aren't good enough to act otherwise.
There are many clubs that struggle to get rid of overpaid players. Arsenal, Mancehster United, etc. Especially in these times where the finances of many clubs are not the best. This is not to say that it does not work out, but when it comes to JR, there are few teams that have the opportunity to pick up a relatively expensive player, and who in addition are often injured. He is also starting to gain a small reputation.

If he stays, he will of course be treated like everyone else in the squad, as long as he is dedicated and willing to put in the effort required by the manager. That is the end of the special treatment he received from Ancelotti, and he must be willing to sacrifice for the team. We are not in a position where we can have a player who is treated differently, and who is allowed to do as he pleases in training and matches.

There are many clubs that struggle to get rid of overpaid players. Arsenal, Mancehster United, etc. Especially in these times where the finances of many clubs are not the best. This is not to say that it does not work out, but when it comes to JR, there are few teams that have the opportunity to pick up a relatively expensive player, and who in addition are often injured. He is also starting to gain a small reputation.

If he stays, he will of course be treated like everyone else in the squad, as long as he is dedicated and willing to put in the effort required by the manager. That is the end of the special treatment he received from Ancelotti, and he must be willing to sacrifice for the team. We are not in a position where we can have a player who is treated differently, and who is allowed to do as he pleases in training and matches.

We've been crap at getting rid pre-covid. COVID obviously hasn't helped, but it was the same issue before. We've just kicked the can down the road each summer.

He'd probably do well in the new set up behind the striker as we have bought some lads who work hard and have a bit of pace. I think it's sad the way this is turning out, a clearly talented and joy to watch footballer who due to his body not being up for it, is struggling to find a club as nobody wants to take the risk on his injuries.

I don't know if it's the case but if his wages are a stumbling block, he has to realise that is the state of play due to his calves going awol every other game. I'd love him to stay and do naughty things with a football again personally.

If he’s been told he won’t be involved under Benitez this season, you’d hope he would be doing everything this can to make this move happen, rather than waste a season in the twilight of his career. But footballers don’t think like that it seems.

We've been crap at getting rid pre-covid. COVID obviously hasn't helped, but it was the same issue before. We've just kicked the can down the road each summer.
Yes, when you buy completely average players and give them a high salary, it is very difficult to get rid of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.