2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I note there was some articles yesterday quoting Angelotti about the future of football. Angelotti is quoted as saying he has seen the direction of travel of football firsthand in England, and requires invent pace and power. Players have to be powerful that’s what he’s telling his Real Madrid squad.

From the coaching mind that brought you "Go out and play."

He brings you, "Be powerful."

What a manager.

Surely we can and should use him in a targeted way. Put him up front with support for the latter third of games.

DCL, Rondon, and Richarlison are all big units, especially the first two. James adds something much different.

We all agree we have limited options. He gets support in a 4-4-2 and gives defenders something else they would have to think about just as something different to the physicality / pace / aerial ability.

I don't like him on the right or in midfield, not in this league. But he can still play a role where his weaknesses would not expose the team as a whole so much.

There seems to be a rhetoric surrounding James that suggests he'd be most useful for us against teams that sit deep and allow us possession. I'm of the exact opposite opinion i believe he's most effective in the games against so called bigger sides where the offensive makeup of the opponent means he has more space to operate. Against the deep lying defensive sides he may have more of the ball but he'll have less time and less space to operate in, meaning he ends up dropping deep to get on the ball and ends up to deep and ineffective. His better performances for us last season were against offensive teams, Liverpool, Spurs, Brighton, Man Utd, Leicester etc
I agree with this.

While I think he is a great player and I love to see a pass hit over distance accurately I don’t see a place for him in our starting lineup. Our defence isn’t brilliant and prone to make mistakes, we need to keep teams away from our back line as much as possible, that involves everyone working hard for 90 minutes, Hamez doesn’t do that. When he plays he introduces a weakness into the team that sides can exploit.
There will be opportunities for him to come on and switch things up, he may be an asset against teams who are going to sit back and not come out to pressurise us where his accuracy of pass will open them up. Currently we are winning matches because the players are putting the effort in, we all witnessed the half hearted performances of last year, do we want to introduce a player into the starting lineup who isn’t putting in a shift and who may infect the rest of the team.
I would have him on the bench and use him when things aren’t working in games to provide something different.

At various times he's quoted as earning £250kpw, the latest article has him on £90kpw so little wonder he doesn't know who our next opponent is, budgeting must be a nightmare.
Honestly, this time last year he was a bargain. 12 months later he's on a quarter of a million a week.
At this rate his wages are mysteriously increasing , we'll have to give him the whole club by January

Status
Not open for further replies.