2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love James, but the way we set up today needs 11 athletic players and he wouldn’t be able to do what our attackers all did today.
Last season we had games where Gomes, Sigurdsson and James were all the pitch and I much much preferred today when the quality was less, but the performance was more.
I’m absolutely gutted I probably won’t get to see him live as he’s an incredible player but he needs to be in a team that’s controlling the ball and breaking down a tough defence whereas it looks like this season we’re going to be all action and outfight the opposition.
I take your point, but honestly, if we could get Gbamin fit, I'd like to see James replace Allan, and have Doucoure and Gbamin as the legs, with Gray, Richarlison and DCL. Townsend and Iwobi would be back ups.

Even just once, I'd like to see that team.

Because say what you want about James mobility, I think it's easily on a par with Allan, if not better, but he actually knows how to kick a ball.

Once I saw that dope Iwobi getting ready to come on I thought wish that was James coming on.
The damage he could have done there as we started controlling the game.

Could have been 5 or 6.
Iwobi did well when he came on tbf, but for me, that's all the more reason why James can still surely do something.

I do wonder with James if he gives off a bit of "couldn't care less" attitude. Whether that is his actual persona or not is not for me to decide, but I do wonder. People point to the whole him wanting to stay thing, but it was never him saying he wanted to stay, just that he was happy to. Basically the "yeah, whatever, I'm easy" approach. If he came out with even a bit of passion, it might be very different.

I would absolutely love to see him at a full Goodison, but I'm starting to think that we never will.

Iwobi did well when he came on tbf, but for me, that's all the more reason why James can still surely do something.

I do wonder with James if he gives off a bit of "couldn't care less" attitude. Whether that is his actual persona or not is not for me to decide, but I do wonder. People point to the whole him wanting to stay thing, but it was never him saying he wanted to stay, just that he was happy to. Basically the "yeah, whatever, I'm easy" approach. If he came out with even a bit of passion, it might be very different.

I would absolutely love to see him at a full Goodison, but I'm starting to think that we never will.
Imagine the lift from the crowd today seeing James take to the field...dreams.

I think he can fit into this team and I think we will see him playing in it as well. Allan was a bit of a weak link in midfield today (he can have great games though), and I think along with Gbamin, James can and will fit in.

Well, he'll go his whole Everton career without seeing any fans.

Our next home game is Mid-September, by which time he'll probably be long gone.

Personally I'd have loved to see him play at Goodison even though the football around him was absolutely pedestrian at times.

The first 15/20 min yesterday and the entire second half are exactly why his wage is better spent elsewhere. Off the ball movement, midfielders running with intent into the box, aggression.

He's a wonderful player, but completely unsuited to how the current manager expects the team to play.

Give me yesterdays commitment over last seasons walking football any day of the week.

I love James, but the way we set up today needs 11 athletic players and he wouldn’t be able to do what our attackers all did today.
Last season we had games where Gomes, Sigurdsson and James were all the pitch and I much much preferred today when the quality was less, but the performance was more.
I’m absolutely gutted I probably won’t get to see him live as he’s an incredible player but he needs to be in a team that’s controlling the ball and breaking down a tough defence whereas it looks like this season we’re going to be all action and outfight the opposition.

If we are going to play 442, I'm not sure where he plays. That means he would be an impact type player, but I don't know if we can justify keeping him for that.

I think we need to make a decision on him this week. There is no point delaying it.

In an ideal world we fit him in around better players but there aren't any easy answers here with this squad. It's like we aren't good enough to get the best out him.

Ideally, there are other ways to save on wages than letting him go, but let's see what happens. I expect him to be elsewhere by Sepetember, and that's ok if we actually strengthen key positions like right back.

Imagine the lift from the crowd today seeing James take to the field...dreams.

If were using Richarlison behind DCL in the same formation, then James would be ideal to:

A: Replace Richarlison for the last 20mins of games to keep both fresh.

B: Rotate with Townsend on the right

C: Have with Gray as bench options if we signed McNeil

If were using Richarlison behind DCL in the same formation, then James would be ideal to:

A: Replace Richarlison for the last 20mins of games to keep both fresh.
A very expensive sub
B: Rotate with Townsend on the right
Leaving Coleman completely exposed by offering nothing defensively (We can't replace Coleman without a bit of spare cash on the wages)
C: Have with Gray as bench options if we signed McNeil
See point A. Very expensive bench option.

A very expensive sub

Leaving Coleman completely exposed by offering nothing defensively (We can't replace Coleman without a bit of spare cash on the wages)

See point A. Very expensive bench option.

We know players have to go...those players shouldnt include James though.

If we need wages space then theres other players like Keane, Iwobi, Delph,Kenny who could be punted.

We know players have to go...those players shouldnt include James though.

If we need wages space then theres other players like Keane, Iwobi, Delph,Kenny who could be punted.
Can't argue with anyone on your list.

The issue is finding suitable (willing) homes for them. Even Kean a supposed 'hot young talent' is proving difficult to shift.

If there was any scenario where we can afford to plug gaps with new signings AND keep James for those moments when effort and running isn't enough I'm fully onboard.

I just can't see that, sadly.

If he stays he plays. 4-2-3-1 with;
Rich - Rodriguez - Townsend the 3 behind DCL surely works? No way he’s a sub.

In saying that; I’m starting to accept that he’s likely leaving.

Status
Not open for further replies.