2021/22 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought our first 11/squad we have now is stronger than it was last season and we have a better manager than Ancelotti, so if that's the case should we not expect to better last season's 10th placed finish?
any current feelgood factor is entirely down to the new manager. If anyone had said after the last game of the season that we expect top 8 next year from the new guy but we're not going to give him any money he'd have been laughed out of town.

Nobody has said anything about starting him in games, all folk are saying is that to not use a player like that off the bench in certain games would be ale house level management. If you think the current kick and rush tactics are going to work against everyone I think you are going to be in for a shock mate. We need a plan B at some point.
Spot on, Simon. ?

You only have to read this thread to see what he faces. Benitez might not like it but James is a player that many are behind and see as our best player. If Benitez handles this without care, he'll get roasted and I would not be surprised to see Goodison turn on him should he appear to be acting unreasonably and the results/play is going against him. In fact, it is a cert. It could be the catalyst for his undoing. Let's hope not as that would mean we have a head-wrecking run of results ahead coupled with the joy of Benitez acting in a pig-headed manner, but he has been there before.
i like your word roasted...cerdo asado, its not a foul word.

any current feelgood factor is entirely down to the new manager. If anyone had said after the last game of the season that we expect top 8 next year from the new guy but we're not going to give him any money he'd have been laughed out of town.

The second half of last season was a mare but at the end of the day Leeds pipped us to 9th place on goal difference and we only finished 6 pts off a Europa league place. I know we haven't spent money but at the end of the day we're still being told that our first 11 and squad is stronger with the buys we've made than last season, so surely if that is the case then we should expect to do better than last season because I don't understand how some can say we're better and stronger than last season but we shouldn't expect to better that.

The second half of last season was a mare but at the end of the day Leeds pipped us to 9th place on goal difference and we only finished 6 pts off a Europa league place. I know we haven't spent money but at the end of the day we're still being told that our first 11 and squad is stronger with the buys we've made than last season, so surely if that is the case then we should expect to do better than last season because I don't understand how some can say we're better and stronger than last season but we shouldn't expect to better that.
Probably because those around us have improved more than us

Problem with 'exciting counter attacking footy ' people are going on about, it only works against teams who attack you. That's where James comes in. In some games we will need to take the initiative and break teams down. James has the skills to do this.

Don't agree with this tbh. Pace in attack is key whether you counter attack or have lots of the ball.

Players who commit defenders are what is needed in this league regardless of what way you want to set up. We lacked mobility last year but had quite a lot of possession in certain games. We couldn't break down teams because we passed the ball slowly and sideways, and had no one willing to run beyond defenders. I think that's why everyone has enjoyed watching Gray so much. It's pretty basic wing play but we hadn't seen it in years because of our dreadful blend of players.

I see no reason why JR can not play for Everton, as long as he is in good physical shape and does the job the manager requires. But there are obviously factors here that we do not know about. It is possible that Rafael is an idiot, but there is also a possibility that Rafael's team has analyzed the advantages and disadvantages of using JR, and has come to the conclusion that there are most disadvantages for the team.

Love James, top class player. But i think a lot peoples concerns are we going to scrap the plans the way Benitez wants us to play to facilitate him or what. I for one hope he can fit into the plans without sacrificing the plan for the season. We shall see.

I don’t love James, I love his quality and technique. Love that kind of player that has skill.

but James himself I have zero respect for. As a matter of fact, if my son turned out to be like James, then I’d know that I failed as a father.

All things being Everton, we will prob still get shut of James by paying some club in Turkey, Russia or wherever else the transfer window is still open, to take him off our hands on loan - prob end up paying some of his wages as well.....

The crap being hurled towards James is getting ridiculous now, and I know some of you are doing it to defend our kopite manager but it's just mad.
I agree. People digging in on their position when what we should be doing is burying the hatchet and starting with a fresh slate. He's still our player, probably our highest paid player and arguably our most talented player. The best thing for Everton Football Club is to try and make the most out of having that player fit and contributing to the team/squad.

The club have had an absolute mare in it's public handling of James. It started off playing down the costs of his arrival, how it was a free transfer with the player taking a 50% reduction in wages and how it was only costing Everton anywhere between £90k to £140k (depending on which website you believe). Now we have a different manager that doesn't want him, it had to reverse all that had gone before and justify it's decision to sell him, by putting out revised information about his earnings and being purposely opaque as regards his position within the squad. The consequence of that, whether intended or not, is that it turned more than half our supporters against the player (going by this forum anyway). Now he's staying it's caused an issue for the club and the fans, mainly of it's own making. James has not been innocent in all this of course but the club/manager are at least as culpable.

Bottom line here is that the club is trying to control the fans emotions/feelings by releasing incorrect information to them which is wrong. Maybe I've been naive in believing most of what the club releases via it's conduits but I won't trust anything from them in future. I think, as a supporter, that's a terrible relationship to have with the club you support.

I agree. People digging in on their position when what we should be doing is burying the hatchet and starting with a fresh slate. He's still our player, probably our highest paid player and arguably our most talented player. The best thing for Everton Football Club is to try and make the most out of having that player fit and contributing to the team/squad.

The club have had an absolute mare in it's public handling of James. It started off playing down the costs of his arrival, how it was a free transfer with the player taking a 50% reduction in wages and how it was only costing Everton anywhere between £90k to £140k (depending on which website you believe). Now we have a different manager that doesn't want him, it had to reverse all that had gone before and justify it's decision to sell him, by putting out revised information about his earnings and being purposely opaque as regards his position within the squad. The consequence of that, whether intended or not, is that it turned more than half our supporters against the player (going by this forum anyway). Now he's staying it's caused an issue for the club and the fans, mainly of it's own making. James has not been innocent in all this of course but the club/manager are at least as culpable.

Bottom line here is that the club is trying to control the fans emotions/feelings by releasing incorrect information to them which is wrong. Maybe I've been naive in believing most of what the club releases via it's conduits but I won't trust anything from them in future. I think, as a supporter, that's a terrible relationship to have with the club you support.

also so much support for a manager that has proven to be mediocre for a long period of time now. Weird

Status
Not open for further replies.