2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolute insanity that we appear not to want to keep him.

Baffling.

Especially with Bernrd going and Sigurdsson not being around (I am not commenting further than to say I will be surprised if he is at the club come September) we really have a lot more space for a luxury type player. If James was banging the door to leave that would be one thing. Just as if someone came in with say a £20m bid that would be a consideration. However pushing the fella out of the door if we are seems baffling to me. He is genuine quality for us.

Imagine just even thinking about replacing him with Dwight McNeill

Yeah...any more signings like this and it'll complete the full range of experiences in Moshiri's Era
If it wasn't hard enough being a blue, look at the extremes we have had to endure.

1: Exciting Young Talent + Experience
The Pickford-Rooney-Vlasic window

2: The Director of Football
Steve Walsh will bring us the title! No, sorry, The Architect will build us a club culture and we will win many titles!

3: Panic at the blues!
Walcott! Tosun! Iwobi! Lossl!

4: Elite Club, Elite Transfers , we only think about Champions League
Gomes, DIgne, Mina, Richarlison

5. Premier League Padding Out transfers
Townsend, McNeill, Begovic, Olsen, Josh King, Delph

6. Manager bingo! Which one will we go for next?
Hollywood at Everton manager
The 'we are actually another West Ham' manager
The new Mourinho manager
the 'we are a massive club manager'
and also 'we are just like Barca, are ex-players can do' ...oh never mind sorry Unsy , sorry Dunc.

7. WTF
James?! Ancelotti!? Benitez?

I know some of these decisions have turned out ok, but just goes to show the random strategies we've had in 5 years! Anyone who thinks they can predict what happens next is a genius.

No one wants it but here’s my take on James.

Firstly, the fella who reported that, despite him wanting to stay Bentiez has told him he is free to leave… I’ve read he’s not the most reliable source of information. Apparently, he was spouting off only the other day that Varane would not leave Madrid, I have no idea if that’s true and I can’t be bothered to check the guy's success rate with stories like this. Just worth noting that lots of people seem to be questioning his credibility as a source.

Anyway, back to James… the man is a genuine superstar and clearly, certainly technically the best player we have. We can’t replace him with someone of equal quality because there aren’t many players in the world that can do what he can do and they cost an absolute fortune so the idea of letting him leave if he’s willing stay baffles me. On top of that the marketing appeal of the guy is on a different level. The number James 19 shirts we saw at those two games is insane and for a club so far behind commercially and desperate to bring in more revenue, releasing the goose that lays the golden egg seems moronic – even by Everton standards.

That said, the team and what we do on the pitch comes first and under Ancelotti he was allowed to play when he liked, where he liked and with very little defensive responsibility and that’s cool, Ancelotti allowed him that freedom and set the team up to accommodate it but Benitez isn’t going to do that and like or lump it, it’s Rafael Benitez’s squad now and he’ll do what he thinks is best for the entire team rather than any one individual and I guess if James can’t get on board with that he, Like any other player will be out. You may argue he let Richie do what he wanted by going to the Olympics but i think that's just smart management. We may be without him for the start of the season but hopefully we get a motivated and happy player back and over the course of the season we as a team will be better. Back to James,we don’t know for sure that he isn’t on board with Rafael's... not really. Most of the rumours of him wanting to leave come from Journo’s regurgitating old stories about their struggles at Madrid several years ago but they were both very different people at different points in their careers. Equally Bentiez isn’t blessed with a team of superstars here where he can force one out knowing he has 3 in the wings ready to step in so unless there is a genuine problem between the two, I don’t buy the stories and based on the Florida trip footage, the club milking his inclusion for all it's worth and all that it looks things are ok in the group.

That then leads to it maybe being the club pushing James out, maybe due to financial restrictions – I’m guessing he’s on a sizeable wedge. Again, you look at the commercial opportunities with keeping him and the idea of letting that go just doesn’t add up for me. Our brand is bigger and better with a player of his standing in the squad, again there are very few players around the world that are icons like him.

Maybe Brands or someone has looked at his output from last season and thinks ‘Ok, for the money we’re paying you, you are simply not reliable enough’ and that’s an argument. When fit he’s an irreplaceable asset but he’ll miss a 3rd of the season guaranteed. We can’t build a team around him or pick up any real momentum because there’s no certainty he’ll be fit for the next game… but again weigh that against what he contributes when on the pitch and ask is it worth having him for those few moments of magic like against the RS etc? I’d say yes personally and going back to my earlier point about him being on board with Benitez, Carlo let him take weeks off at a time because he wasn’t feeling it… he gave the man free reign to manage himself but I imagine there were times where he could have played or at least made the bench but Ancelotti appeared more interested in keeping his star player happy and not rocking the boat. Maybe if Rafael calls on him now and says ‘I know you’re only at 50% but we need you on the bench’ he’ll now say sure. Who knows??

Anyway, to wrap up my incoherent ramblings I’ll say I hope he stays, I hope he has a good season and if he does go, regardless of whether it’s Benitez letting him go or because James forcing his way out or the board making the call… any decision made must be done with the squad in mind and what makes the team over an entire season better.

Here is the video in question:

To
Especially with Bernrd going and Sigurdsson not being around (I am not commenting further than to say I will be surprised if he is at the club come September) we really have a lot more space for a luxury type player. If James was banging the door to leave that would be one thing. Just as if someone came in with say a £20m bid that would be a consideration. However pushing the fella out of the door if we are seems baffling to me. He is genuine quality for us.
Was just thinking exactly this. Caveat by saying we obvs need to wait and see what business we do rest of window but…

Where does Benitez think we’re getting any creativity or guile from this season, if true he’s told James to leave? Bernard’s gone, Sig isn’t going to be available and if we lose James… That’s two of our top three chance creators and assisters out the team. Not really seeing anyone left in the squad with an eye for a pass in the final third. Utter joke to replace James with the likes of Townsend and Gray. Massive black mark against Benitez this at the moment for me.

the line i read "James feels as though he has given everything so far"

I laughed. He's unbevliably talented but effort is not something he gives

No one wants it but here’s my take on James.

Firstly, the fella who reported that, despite him wanting to stay Bentiez has told him he is free to leave… I’ve read he’s not the most reliable source of information. Apparently, he was spouting off only the other day that Varane would not leave Madrid, I have no idea if that’s true and I can’t be bothered to check the guy's success rate with stories like this. Just worth noting that lots of people seem to be questioning his credibility as a source.

Anyway, back to James… the man is a genuine superstar and clearly, certainly technically the best player we have. We can’t replace him with someone of equal quality because there aren’t many players in the world that can do what he can do and they cost an absolute fortune so the idea of letting him leave if he’s willing stay baffles me. On top of that the marketing appeal of the guy is on a different level. The number James 19 shirts we saw at those two games is insane and for a club so far behind commercially and desperate to bring in more revenue, releasing the goose that lays the golden egg seems moronic – even by Everton standards.

That said, the team and what we do on the pitch comes first and under Ancelotti he was allowed to play when he liked, where he liked and with very little defensive responsibility and that’s cool, Ancelotti allowed him that freedom and set the team up to accommodate it but Benitez isn’t going to do that and like or lump it, it’s Rafael Benitez’s squad now and he’ll do what he thinks is best for the entire team rather than any one individual and I guess if James can’t get on board with that he, Like any other player will be out. You may argue he let Richie do what he wanted by going to the Olympics but i think that's just smart management. We may be without him for the start of the season but hopefully we get a motivated and happy player back and over the course of the season we as a team will be better. Back to James,we don’t know for sure that he isn’t on board with Rafael's... not really. Most of the rumours of him wanting to leave come from Journo’s regurgitating old stories about their struggles at Madrid several years ago but they were both very different people at different points in their careers. Equally Bentiez isn’t blessed with a team of superstars here where he can force one out knowing he has 3 in the wings ready to step in so unless there is a genuine problem between the two, I don’t buy the stories and based on the Florida trip footage, the club milking his inclusion for all it's worth and all that it looks things are ok in the group.

That then leads to it maybe being the club pushing James out, maybe due to financial restrictions – I’m guessing he’s on a sizeable wedge. Again, you look at the commercial opportunities with keeping him and the idea of letting that go just doesn’t add up for me. Our brand is bigger and better with a player of his standing in the squad, again there are very few players around the world that are icons like him.

Maybe Brands or someone has looked at his output from last season and thinks ‘Ok, for the money we’re paying you, you are simply not reliable enough’ and that’s an argument. When fit he’s an irreplaceable asset but he’ll miss a 3rd of the season guaranteed. We can’t build a team around him or pick up any real momentum because there’s no certainty he’ll be fit for the next game… but again weigh that against what he contributes when on the pitch and ask is it worth having him for those few moments of magic like against the RS etc? I’d say yes personally and going back to my earlier point about him being on board with Benitez, Carlo let him take weeks off at a time because he wasn’t feeling it… he gave the man free reign to manage himself but I imagine there were times where he could have played or at least made the bench but Ancelotti appeared more interested in keeping his star player happy and not rocking the boat. Maybe if Rafael calls on him now and says ‘I know you’re only at 50% but we need you on the bench’ he’ll now say sure. Who knows??

Anyway, to wrap up my incoherent ramblings I’ll say I hope he stays, I hope he has a good season and if he does go, regardless of whether it’s Benitez letting him go or because James forcing his way out or the board making the call… any decision made must be done with the squad in mind and what makes the team over an entire season better.
James isn't going to be afforded the leeway he had under carlo but if he is prepared to work hard and play for his place it seems absolute madness to ship him out ,if it's financial then we are in a dire state not a bad state .

James isn't going to be afforded the leeway he had under carlo but if he is prepared to work hard and play for his place it seems absolute madness to ship him out ,if it's financial then we are in a dire state not a bad state .

That's just it though, it's James Rodriguez we're talking about. "Work hard" isn't in his vocabulary. He's a supremely talented luxury player.

I think one of the biggest issues at Everton is a toxic dressing room - so many times we just haven't turned up because the players couldn't be arsed. If you accommodate James, who is that exact issue personified with his injuries (e.g. allowed time off for a holiday), then it sends the message of "why should we be arsed if he isn't?" - there was a player interview this week which said the exact same thing.

James doesn't want to be here. The moment Ancelotti walked we all knew what was going to happen. It's a matter of if, not when.

It's a shame, but ultimately James is at Everton in the first place because he lacks the professionalism to make the most of his innate talents. A prima donna. The position we're in as a club - undisciplined, lacking direction, incompetence all over the shop - aren't in a position to really accommodate that. I can understand Benitez not seeing James as indispensable.

I know it was a pre-season game so pretty irrelevant, but there's no way Benitez will pick him if he plays like he did on Wednesday. He barely ran at all during the 45 minutes.

I'd like to keep him, but it's not the end of the world if we lose him either. We just don't know how much he will be available for us.

That's just it though, it's James Rodriguez we're talking about. "Work hard" isn't in his vocabulary. He's a supremely talented luxury player.

I think one of the biggest issues at Everton is a toxic dressing room - so many times we just haven't turned up because the players couldn't be arsed. If you accommodate James, who is that exact issue personified with his injuries (e.g. allowed time off for a holiday), then it sends the message of "why should we be arsed if he isn't?" - there was a player interview this week which said the exact same thing.

James doesn't want to be here. The moment Ancelotti walked we all knew what was going to happen. It's a matter of if, not when.

It's a shame, but ultimately James is at Everton in the first place because he lacks the professionalism to make the most of his innate talents. A prima donna. The position we're in as a club - undisciplined, lacking direction, incompetence all over the shop - aren't in a position to really accommodate that. I can understand Benitez not seeing James as indispensable.
I totally agree with alot of what your saying and I think no one doubts James talents probably not even benitez ,and maybe we are not in the right place to even try to harness the talent that James has to improve us on the pitch.
Players still at the club and some that have left repeatedly down tools for every manager probably since Moyes I'm not sure James could be blamed for that now

Status
Not open for further replies.