2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spot on mate, I don't get it with some of our fans.

Think how good he was doing for us until that thug van dyke tried to castrate him?

No one cared that James wasn't tackling like prime Peter Reid before that did they?
I also think that because he's quite slow people autmatically assume that he doesn't work hard off the ball but actually he does IMO. Wins the ball back quite a lot off defenders high up the pitch.

I don’t think we built a team around him last year, he was mostly shoehorned into a weird right wing position when he’s much more effective as a ten.

Ideally, we build a first team around him as a ten but have a good young understudy who can fill in when he’s not available or a plan B different shape! Last season if he wasn’t there to create we had nothing but relying on set pieces.
I think it's relatively easy to nullify him as a ten, the other side's sitting midfielder just sits on him whereever he goes. What I think James likes doing is being on the wing and then drifting infield, giving the fullback a real dilemma, if they follow they leave the whole flank open, if they don't he's free to ping the ball around.

I think it's relatively easy to nullify him as a ten, the other side's sitting midfielder just sits on him whereever he goes. What I think James likes doing is being on the wing and then drifting infield, giving the fullback a real dilemma, if they follow they leave the whole flank open, if they don't he's free to ping the ball around.

I have definitely subscribed to this line of thinking as well. However, I also wonder if his movement is so good and so clever, that it wouldn’t be so simple to blanket him.

If he was playing as more as a second striker, then I would agree, but a free role where he can drop back etc, he might do just fine. There were times last year that he found himself out on the left due to his movement and want to get on the ball.

I have definitely subscribed to this line of thinking as well. However, I also wonder if his movement is so good and so clever, that it wouldn’t be so simple to blanket him.

If he was playing as more as a second striker, then I would agree, but a free role where he can drop back etc, he might do just fine. There were times last year that he found himself out on the left due to his movement and want to get on the ball.
you're right he's good enough to play anywhere. I suppose it's just if he's given the choice (as he was by Carlo) that's his preferred spot. Cant see RB being so obliging.

you're right he's good enough to play anywhere. I suppose it's just if he's given the choice (as he was by Carlo) that's his preferred spot. Cant see RB being so obliging.
I’ actually be really interested in us
trying a 4-2-2-2 system with DCL & Rich up top (could they coexist?) with a Bernard-type (but hugely improved version) linking up with Digne down the left. With an athletic and quick RB working with Rodriguez down the right.

Our problem was a lack of pace, we offered very little from the wings and once James was shut down we had very little else to offer.

I have said before that as the season went on CA got more conservative.
Nkonkou could have offered something from the right wing but never got the chance... Josh King never got a fair chance either

I'm becoming more confident by the day that he'll be here next season. He's all over the Everton media stuff, the recent training video was like 50% James. Get players who can commit men alongside of him and watch what he does with that extra space.
Same! You really have to think they’d not be SO focussed on James if he’d been told he can leave!

Frustrating because we all know the world class level he can play to but my word he has stunk in pre season so far. Hopefully that doesn't continue into the season.

The James Rodriguez dilemma.

I think we can all agree that this fella is a top player and offers something that none of our other players do. His best position is coming in off the right hand side.

However, this only works when you have an attacking right back to go outside him.

When drifting infield from wide, the left back asks himself a question; do I go with him and risk leaving space in the channel? Or do I stay in position and risk James getting on the ball & dictating?

Unfortunately for us, it’s easy for the left back to decide: “I’ll go with James because there’s no threat in behind if I leave my position.”

Further serves to highlight our need for an attacking full back.

Status
Not open for further replies.