2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new day in Europe and a new set of rumors.

248903A4-1969-496C-99A9-C3D3059F7CF7.jpeg

In Italy they do not see so clearly the possible arrival of James Rodríguez at Milan, according to the pro-team journalist Andrea Longoni and the versions published by Calciomercato, although they confirm that Jorge Mendes offered the Everton player, the club has other priorities such as Chelsea player Ziyech. In addition, the salary and physical condition of the Colombian would also condition a possible negotiation.

Him saying that on Instagram the other week meant nothing. The moment Ancelotti left for Real Madrid, Jorge Mendes was working behind the scenes to get him a move.

I didnt want Rafael, but essentially blaming the man for James' wanting to get off is not only ridiculous, but also unfair.
Two things:

1. I was expressing my view on what's best for all parties in that post, not the chronology of what's happened. Objectively, Rafael and James do not get along. James' staying will likely result in fewer minutes, which hurts any sell on value for Everton (if you believe there is any to be had) and further risks James' ability to further his career (he always prefaces statements in the fact he still believes he has gas in the tank).

At the height of his powers and as the reigning 'best midfielder in la liga' - Benitez limited James' minutes and started the narrative (warranted or not) of James' not taking care of himself with his comments in the press (which started their awkward press feud) in 2015.

If you are James, and you've just been told you need to be playing consistent minutes to get back on your NT, Rafael is probably the last guy you would have wanted your club to hire.

If you are Rafael, you've already lived a nasty press feud with James and don't want to deal with it becoming a distraction again and you probably want to field a worker bee because that's why you limited James' minutes back in 2015 anyway. You would want Everton to recoup a little money now and clear wage space for one of your guys. I think that's fair to both of them.

2. I'm not sure if you actually watched and understood James' comments or read the translations posted online - or if you know the rest of the story on that live. I did watch it and he seemed sincere that he was intending to return to Everton and it was a good move for him. What didn't get coverage in the UK, was everything else he said that day. James gave no Fs that day. It was complete foolishness and he should never have posted it. For example, at the same time all the want away stories in the UK were speculating he wanted to return to Madrid, James was saying very frankly that he wasn't interested in getting ghosted by Carlo again as he'd already followed him two times and been abandoned. Was he a little drunk and horsing around with friends? YES (at least it looked like it, he certainly wasn't thinking how dumb it was to be making any of the comments he was making). But he didn't pull any punches or talk politically with anything said (he literally furthered his public spat with his current NT gaffer, started a new feud with some Colombian NT stars from prior generations, and threw shade at Carlo for ghosting him in the same conversation he said playing for Everton next season was a good idea). He seemed to be broadcasting his inner monologue with no consideration for his best interest in any of it... So I tend to believe that yeah, he meant it.

He obviously came here to work for Carlo. Carlo is gone so wouldn't be surprised if he wanted to go elsewhere. That being said I don't think he's miserable here or anything

He isn't miserable here.

He will be miserable here playing for Benitez. Both of them know that. Everyone in football knows that.

It will kill our sell-on value. We have to do it anyway. I don't like it, but one obvious corollary of hiring Benitez is selling James.

If Brands and Moshiri were smart and if everyone involved could keep a secret, they'd have signed a secret deal with Benitez and sold James prior to announcing Benitez. I don't know what the problem is there, but my guess is that the James camp would leak in order to drive the price down and get James to the best destination.

If you accept that premise, one corollary is that Brands and Moshiri have some brains. I think that they missed the really smart move if they liked the Benitez plan, which is steal it and hire someone else to implement it.

enough of the drama between james and benitez... we don't want to see that conflict here in everton...
let us all say goodbye to James for the greater good of everyone....

Two things:

1. I was expressing my view on what's best for all parties in that post, not the chronology of what's happened. Objectively, Rafael and James do not get along. James' staying will likely result in fewer minutes, which hurts any sell on value for Everton (if you believe there is any to be had) and further risks James' ability to further his career (he always prefaces statements in the fact he still believes he has gas in the tank).

At the height of his powers and as the reigning 'best midfielder in la liga' - Benitez limited James' minutes and started the narrative (warranted or not) of James' not taking care of himself with his comments in the press (which started their awkward press feud) in 2015.

If you are James, and you've just been told you need to be playing consistent minutes to get back on your NT, Rafael is probably the last guy you would have wanted your club to hire.

If you are Rafael, you've already lived a nasty press feud with James and don't want to deal with it becoming a distraction again and you probably want to field a worker bee because that's why you limited James' minutes back in 2015 anyway. You would want Everton to recoup a little money now and clear wage space for one of your guys. I think that's fair to both of them.

2. I'm not sure if you actually watched and understood James' comments or read the translations posted online - or if you know the rest of the story on that live. I did watch it and he seemed sincere that he was intending to return to Everton and it was a good move for him. What didn't get coverage in the UK, was everything else he said that day. James gave no Fs that day. It was complete foolishness and he should never have posted it. For example, at the same time all the want away stories in the UK were speculating he wanted to return to Madrid, James was saying very frankly that he wasn't interested in getting ghosted by Carlo again as he'd already followed him two times and been abandoned. Was he a little drunk and horsing around with friends? YES (at least it looked like it, he certainly wasn't thinking how dumb it was to be making any of the comments he was making). But he didn't pull any punches or talk politically with anything said (he literally furthered his public spat with his current NT gaffer, started a new feud with some Colombian NT stars from prior generations, and threw shade at Carlo for ghosting him in the same conversation he said playing for Everton next season was a good idea). He seemed to be broadcasting his inner monologue with no consideration for his best interest in any of it... So I tend to believe that yeah, he meant it.

Lad, i cannot be arsed reading that.

I have no idea if James is committed to Everton Football Club. I don’t know how deep the fracture in his relationship with Benitez is. However a blind man on a galloping horse could see that he, when fit, is head and shoulders above anything in terms of creativity that we have at the club. Benitez is a good football manager, he has won trophies at the highest level, he will know that he needs James, or someone of his ilk, to bring success to Everton. James is having a good break from football not having been selected for his national team so hopefully he comes back refreshed and ready to go. Why would a club that needs at least 3 starting players waste money on replacing what they already have.
There has been plenty of feuds between players and managers which have been patched up, this is one where it is in everyone’s interest that a solution is found to get James on the pitch playing well in an Everton shirt.
Good sense has to prevail here.

I have no idea if James is committed to Everton Football Club. I don’t know how deep the fracture in his relationship with Benitez is. However a blind man on a galloping horse could see that he, when fit, is head and shoulders above anything in terms of creativity that we have at the club. Benitez is a good football manager, he has won trophies at the highest level, he will know that he needs James, or someone of his ilk, to bring success to Everton. James is having a good break from football not having been selected for his national team so hopefully he comes back refreshed and ready to go. Why would a club that needs at least 3 starting players waste money on replacing what they already have.
There has been plenty of feuds between players and managers which have been patched up, this is one where it is in everyone’s interest that a solution is found to get James on the pitch playing well in an Everton shirt.
From what I gather though it wasn’t like they had a slight difference of opinion. Rafael benched James because he didn’t work hard without the ball. If he did that there, in a team that probably could have carried him as a passenger, I highly doubt he’ll want to play him here where we can’t.

From what I gather though it wasn’t like they had a slight difference of opinion. Rafael benched James because he didn’t work hard without the ball. If he did that there, in a team that probably could have carried him as a passenger, I highly doubt he’ll want to play him here where we can’t.
He probably had adequate alternatives there though.

And professionalism

Status
Not open for further replies.