2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not at all. It's that your comment was pure conjecture, and again just reeks - like we've done with Lukaku, Barkley, anybody with a remote bit of talent before, and we're seeing with Richarlison as well - of this mentality we have of complaining about our best players.

We knew what we got when we signed James. He's not the issue. The issue is building an entire team around him and then having no other options for any creativity or even ability to control the bloody ball beside that.
I really don't think we're planning to build a team around him. Its why I disagree with @Egil Olsen that it was a poor strategic decision by the club, especially in context of the added difficulties from the pandemic had on transfers last summer. There's nothing wrong with signing older players, but there is a balance to be struck.

The poor strategic decision, of which there have been many, is the lack of young players coming in. Nkounkou and Branthwaite are potentials, but the lack of signings of the age profile of, say, Eze, who are ready to play in the first team immediately, is actually quite worrying. Heck, even Walsh got that much right in Vlasic and Lookman. Even if we move them on at a small profit/small cost after a season or two, in the rare event they turn out to be the next Maddison its worth it.

We absolutely should be building for the future and not having to rely on James. That is a failure of the club on a wider scale, but not a failure on the decision to sign James. Because he makes us much better.

Maybe I have misunderstood him, it's quite possible.
Anyway, it starting to feel a bit weird having a discussion about what someone else actually meant, so I'll just say James is great and move on.
On my side the discussion was relevant to what I meant, not what someone else meant. I was clarifying what he meant because I’d agreed with him and wanted to be clear on what I was agreeing with. ‘Possible’ that you were wrong though, love it.

I really don't think we're planning to build a team around him. Its why I disagree with @Egil Olsen that it was a poor strategic decision by the club, especially in context of the added difficulties from the pandemic had on transfers last summer. There's nothing wrong with signing older players, but there is a balance to be struck.

The poor strategic decision, of which there have been many, is the lack of young players coming in. Nkounkou and Branthwaite are potentials, but the lack of signings of the age profile of, say, Eze, who are ready to play in the first team immediately, is actually quite worrying. Heck, even Walsh got that much right in Vlasic and Lookman. Even if we move them on at a small profit/small cost after a season or two, in the rare event they turn out to be the next Maddison its worth it.

We absolutely should be building for the future and not having to rely on James. That is a failure of the club on a wider scale, but not a failure on the decision to sign James. Because he makes us much better.
Again, I think that's the point he was trying to make. That it was a gamble and didn't come off (should it actually not come off) but we were/are so reliant on James (and to an extent as well, Allan) that we neglected having an adequate backup at all. I mean, we LITERALLY have 0 backup for James. We don't even have a right sided player ffs.

I love that this has become a study circle over what I really meant, feeling a bit like Martin Heidegger :zzz:. Possible Everton supporters will discuss what I really meant for 1000 years ahead.

I have to blame my slightly deficient English. It is not always easy to express oneself clearly in another language. However, Lanolin and Riddick have acted as excellent interpreters ;), and we can therefore move on. I end by saying that JR is a very good football player.

James complains to try to get a card

When you are a talented, injury prone, player that gets targeted by the other team's goons, you gotto play that stupid game otherwise they'll kick you right out of football
James does what he wants. Anytime he brandishes an imaginary card i get an erection. And I hate unsporting behaviour.

I love that this has become a study circle over what I really meant, feeling a bit like Martin Heidegger :zzz:. Possible Everton supporters will discuss what I really meant for 1000 years ahead.

I have to blame my slightly deficient English. It is not always easy to express oneself clearly in another language. However, Lanolin and Riddick have acted as excellent interpreters ;), and we can therefore move on. I end by saying that JR is a very good football player.
Nothing wrong with your English dude, it's really good.

Status
Not open for further replies.