2020/21 James Rodriguez

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, he could get injured against anyone we play. Anyway, must dash, I could get hit by a bus tomorrow so i’m away to play in the traffic today...

Not quite sure what this response is about.

If he is fit, then for me we should play him whenever available. We can't be thinking "let's give him a rest cause we have 'team A' next week. My point is, we could lose the game he's left out of, then he gets injured 30 seconds into the game we saved him for.
1 game at a time and go all out for every point available. I'm pretty confident aswell, that that's exactly how Ancelotti will be thinking of it.

Can’t see him on any of the training photographs.

I haven't seen any of the pics mate but he wasn't on the video but I'm sure they are done earlier in the week and then edited for later on through the week. Pickford wasn't on the video which makes me think he might have been given a couple of days off to go and play darts or go to a rave

If he is fit, then for me we should play him whenever available. We can't be thinking "let's give him a rest cause we have 'team A' next week. My point is, we could lose the game he's left out of, then he gets injured 30 seconds into the game we saved him for.
1 game at a time and go all out for every point available. I'm pretty confident aswell, that that's exactly how Ancelotti will be thinking of it.
Arguably, James' highest impact and value for Everton may come from matches against weaker oponents: First, all points count the same. Second: Against a weaker team, a few key passes from James may turn a game in our favor early, and then he can go out of the pitch for others to manage. Simultaneously, James' seeming defensive weaknesses will be less harming against weaker oponents. Whereas against stronger teams, his seeming defenisve weaknesses may be more costly.

I wonder how you all see the issue of James' aparent defensive weakness (the whole Zindane argument, that he may be Michelangelo or Picasso with the ball, but without the ball "you play with 10"). I dont think this is true. In fact, his defensive numbers are not bad, and I see him trying to defend a lot in all games. But I have heard the broader tactical argument of him not going back and forth enough. Any wisdom on this?

Hindsight will not change my mind on this at all. I have had heroes in Ferguson, Cahill and Arteta but James is the greatest player I have ever seen wearing the jersey.
I agree; also for the Colombian jersey (together with El Pibe, who was soooo good). But what do Evertonians think about his supposed defensive weaknesses? Are they true? Do they matter that much in today´s football (and hence, why players of this kind are becoming so rare)?

Hindsight will not change my mind on this at all. I have had heroes in Ferguson, Cahill and Arteta but James is the greatest player I have ever seen wearing the jersey.

No doubts he is the best skill wise, however what he does here and for how long will have a bearing if he is classed as a better player for us.

Hopefully he stays fit, stays here for 3/4 seasons and wins a trophy or few with us and then it's a done deal where he stands in the pantheon.

No doubts he is the best skill wise, however what he does here and for how long will have a bearing if he is classed as a better player for us.

Hopefully he stays fit, stays here for 3/4 seasons and wins a trophy or few with us and then it's a done deal where he stands in the pantheon.
This depends in no small amount from what Ancelotti does. If Don Carlo stays for a few seasons, James will stay. Also, believe it or not, Yerry plays a role as well. Colombians (Latin American people in general), value friendship and love in the work environment comparatively higher than people from other parts of the world. Sometimes above purely objective work indicators, including salary. James is like a kid who LOVES to play football (have you all seen his 10 year old videos?). He cares more about being valued and having the space to do what he loves, than about making more money.

I agree; also for the Colombian jersey (together with El Pibe, who was soooo good). But what do Evertonians think about his supposed defensive weaknesses? Are they true? Do they matter that much in today´s football (and hence, why players of this kind are becoming so rare)?
For a player of his level you can afford to support him defensively as you know he will create at least 2 goal scoring chances per game.

Just carry the piano to him and he will play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.