James McCarthy - Signed on deadline day for reported £13m

Status
Not open for further replies.

We may as well lost 2 and won 1, unbeaten means ****e when you haven't won either.

but we didn't lose 2 did we? or would you have preferred we lost as it would suit your agenda a little better?

(i don't really know if you have an agenda but i feel the word hasn't been used around here enough lately)

However, key to the Goodison Park club coming back in for the player would appear to be the sale of their midfielder Marouane Fellaini to Manchester United.

A handful of Irish journalists learned all of this from just about as close to the horse’s mouth as it ever gets, when Wigan chairman Dave Whelan broke off from a press briefing in the K Club yesterday to take a call from his former manager and now Everton boss Roberto Martinez.

“Chasing James,” Whelan confirmed when he’d hung up, before adding with a laugh, “He’s telling me how tight money is at Everton, you see.”

When it was suggested to Whelan that United losing to Liverpool could have an immediate on the situation, the 76-year-old replied: “That’s just what he (Martinez) has been saying. United losing changes the thing a bit. They might be upping their offer now. They’ll be desperate now to get a midfield player and Fellaini is a good player. And what happens there will dictate what happens to our lad.”

Earlier in the conversation — having already revealed that there had been an expression of interest but no formal bid from Newcastle United — the Wigan owner had explained the background to Everton’s interest in McCarthy.

“They’ve already made one offer, which is not good enough. Roberto knows what he’s valued at so they have to come back in with the right offer. I never would stop a footballer going up to a bigger club or up to the Premier League. If you stop a player going to the club he wants, you never ever get the same response or loyalty out of him again if you stand in his way.”

Whelan went on to say that Everton’s first offer had been “two million short” and when asked how much he felt the player was worth, replied: “You’ve got to be talking 14 million or maybe a little more.

And there you have... great link. Cheers.

but we didn't lose 2 did we? or would you have preferred we lost as it would suit your agenda a little better?

(i don't really know if you have an agenda but i feel the word hasn't been used around here enough lately)

Huh? Missed my point. Drawing 3 is as good as winning one and losing two. If we had had a real go for it in two games, winning one and losing one we'd be better off. Just saying, being unbeaten means nothing when you're also winless.

Huh? Missed my point. Drawing 3 is as good as winning one and losing two. If we had had a real go for it in two games, winning one and losing one we'd be better off. Just saying, being unbeaten means nothing when you're also winless.
NO,NO and no................It means keep playing like you do at the back........... and we will take the pressure off you up front,cos we will have a proven goal scorer to alleviate that pressure.Not just from the four at the back ,but the thirty odd thousand in the crowd.

14m? Is Whelan trying to be Levy? Really hope Martinez isn't so foolish. C'mon lets see a bit of this global market.

Status
Not open for further replies.