2023/24 Jack Harrison

Right, with Harrison I was just responding to those calling him much too expensive to loan. By the same people who would then call the player at 8m over 3 years cheap. If you can find the same player for cheaper by all means, but if all of our squad cost the same as him our player cost would nosedive and we'd be the most profitable club in the league.
I dunno, £90k a week is a problem. Our wages to turnover is what's killing us long term, we can't keep being above 90%. There's no profit if our outgoings keep outstripping our incomings. It's mad that our squad gets worse most years but we barely make a dent in our wage bill. We're so badly run. Given our bank balance and average league position over the past few years we really shouldn't have anyone on a wage near £90k a week. I take your point on fees but we've also got to scale back on wages.

I dunno, £90k a week is a problem. Our wages to turnover is what's killing us long term, we can't keep being above 90%. There's no profit if our outgoings keep outstripping our incomings. It's mad that our squad gets worse most years but we barely make a dent in our wage bill. We're so badly run. Given our bank balance and average league position over the past few years we really shouldn't have anyone on a wage near £90k a week. I take your point on fees but we've also got to scale back on wages.
90K a week is a lot of money but even allowing for a loan fee then not having to pay a transfer fee makes this a very good deal.

I expect most worthwhile Premiership players are on 50k or 60k per week. So it is maybe 30k per week extra or about 1.5m per annum.

This would be a good deal for us. We already know he had a solid season , not spectacular but certainly worthwhile and he is already settled at the club which is an added advantage.

90K a week is a lot of money but even allowing for a loan fee then not having to pay a transfer fee makes this a very good deal.

I expect most worthwhile Premiership players are on 50k or 60k per week. So it is maybe 30k per week extra or about 1.5m per annum.

This would be a good deal for us. We already know he had a solid season , not spectacular but certainly worthwhile and he is already settled at the club which is an added advantage.
I understand the arguments, and I suppose a lot depends on what happens with our ownership over the coming months. But £90k a year is £4.7m for a year, and then a year from now we'll have to do something for that position one way or another. To use a previous posters comparison, an £8m fee for a younger player on £50k a week on a three year contract is a total outlay of £15.8 million or £5.3m a year. Yes, it's slightly more expensive but then you have a settled player and a settled position for a longer period of time. You might argue that the younger player might fail to live up to expectations, and of course that's true, but Harrison could do his cruciate on the first game of the season too. No plan is completely absent of risk. Eventually we have to start planning more than 12 months into the future.

Right, with Harrison I was just responding to those calling him much too expensive to loan. By the same people who would then call the player at 8m over 3 years cheap. If you can find the same player for cheaper by all means, but if all of our squad cost the same as him our player cost would nosedive and we'd be the most profitable club in the league.

I understand the arguments, and I suppose a lot depends on what happens with our ownership over the coming months. But £90k a year is £4.7m for a year, and then a year from now we'll have to do something for that position one way or another. To use a previous posters comparison, an £8m fee for a younger player on £50k a week on a three year contract is a total outlay of £15.8 million or £5.3m a year. Yes, it's slightly more expensive but then you have a settled player and a settled position for a longer period of time. You might argue that the younger player might fail to live up to expectations, and of course that's true, but Harrison could do his cruciate on the first game of the season too. No plan is completely absent of risk. Eventually we have to start planning more than 12 months into the future.

If we put the money discussion to the side.

Looking at the 11 we are surely going to be focused on CM, RW and right back incomings this window.

Im no fan of Harrison but I think we improve next season for 3 reasons:

A: Signing a permanent right back.
B: Young players developing
C: The majority of the 11 having a years experience of playing together.

So, in theory if we keep Harrison and just replace Onana (if sold) and sign a new RB, we'll have 9/11 of the same starting lineup.

Obviously id like us to sign a young player as a long term view and Branthwaite will have benefited from Mykolenko & Tarkowski either side of him.

A right back should benefit from the same keeper, same 3 defenders starting and Harrison who would provide protection.

It may prove to be sensible for the money & also for the consistency.

The manager's contract is the big issue for me. If he's staying beyond his final year you would think we could be looking more long term with regards to who we sign? As it is, our first bits of business seem to be offering contracts to fellas who should have been out the door years ago, and who under normal circumstances, would never have got through the door in the first place.

Hopefully it's just that we are getting the easiest bits of business done quickly and we see a few proper signings later.

Looking at the 11 we are surely going to be focused on CM, RW and right back incomings this window.

So, in theory if we keep Harrison and just replace Onana (if sold) and sign a new RB, we'll have 9/11 of the same starting lineup.

Obviously id like us to sign a young player as a long term view and Branthwaite will have benefited from Mykolenko & Tarkowski either side of him.

A right back should benefit from the same keeper, same 3 defenders starting and Harrison who would provide protection.

I'm just not convinced we'll sign a new right back with the contract offers for Coleman and Young

I'm just not convinced we'll sign a new right back with the contract offers for Coleman and Young

Very hard to tell how much we need to bring in and therefore what we may be able to spend from certain sales.

The four players to keep an eye on sale wise I think are Beto, DCL, Onana and Godfrey.

If 3/4 leave for decent money then things may not be as grim transfer pot wise.

I see alot of this summer being about how much risk were willing to take. Whether we role the dice on some sales or decide to plod along worried about relegation.

Bring in a young right back with Harrison, Tarkowski and Pickford around him and he should in theory be protected while also improve towards his potential.

Do not and we will still have a major defensive weakness.

The time for that young RB to come in and develop over a season to push out the competition is now...If Coleman and Young have the experience and ability (along with the coaches) then it will be better for a RB to join this environment than in 12months when only Patterson may be under contract.

Yeah, I would think that with us only having 1 winger under contract and 1 young player in Dobbin, it would be wise to have an affordable option in Harrison to shore up the floor of the position. Its not a matter of us just needing 1 player...we only have 1. We need 3 wingers if we cant loan Harrison again.

Yeah, I would think that with us only having 1 winger under contract and 1 young player in Dobbin, it would be wise to have an affordable option in Harrison to shore up the floor of the position. Its not a matter of us just needing 1 player...we only have 1. We need 3 wingers if we cant loan Harrison again.

If Doucoure isnt sold then its McNeil and Dobbin for the left hand side. Though Id hope were looking at Iling Junior for the rumoured £12.5mil fee.

May be also worth us looking at naturally right sided players for that right sided position :)

I could give you a whole list of decent players who were relegated at one point tbf mate

Pickford, Tarkowski and McNeil for us in recent memory.

Harry Maguire and Andy Robertson were relegated with Hull.

Tielemans and Madison went down with Leicester.

Obviously you don't wanna go plucking from an entire squad of relegated players but football is a team game, so harsh to cast any player who's been relegated as rubbish.
Pickford, gana, tarks, McNeil , docs , Harrison all regulars in our team and all relagated …

And we are also the worst footballing team in the league … coincidence?